WWI era rolling stock suggestions

Model Railway Noob

Hi all,

I've been hunting around and had a few tips on finding some suitable 40 men, 8 horses wagons. I made a few of my own with some Roco wagons but these were post-war. I posted about this on my main layout area but I thought it might be helpful to post here in case any of you model the WWI era and have any suggestions for rolling stock. I use Hunt couplings now so everything is as compatible as it can be as my RODs are 00 and I have a converted Consolidation 2-8-0

Any tips would be most welcome.

06.jpg

07.jpg

photoc.jpg

photod.jpg

20200719_152552.jpg

update01a.jpg

USA 1.jpg

USA 2.jpg

USA 3.jpg

USA pack out.jpg

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

I think that most (if not all?) of those wagons are post WW1. Some are lettered SNCF which did not exist until 1938 but I am assuming that you plan to relivery those. Your latest batch are of a much lower standard to the others.

I think that it was Fleischmann that had some suitable wagons issued in the early 90s.

On 20/08/2020 at 08:08, Joseph_Pestell said:

I think that most (if not all?) of those wagons are post WW1. Some are lettered SNCF which did not exist until 1938 but I am assuming that you plan to relivery those. Your latest batch are of a much lower standard to the others.

I think that it was Fleischmann that had some suitable wagons issued in the early 90s.

Hi Joseph,

Yes I saw those a few months ago but was looking for something more like the museum wagon.

I have experimented with waterslide transfers with a laser printer so the company lettering is something I mentioned on covering in my main layout thread.

Hello,

Your request is easier with German rolling stock.  German railways were based off the former royal houses that were removed at the end of the WWI.  The end of WWI separates German Era 1 and Era 2 rolling stock.

France had an array of private railways, not linked to the notions of State.  SNCF was created inn 1938, I think just prior to the German invasion of France.  So technically, all those private railways had always existed up until the formation of SNCF, without the separation as seen with the German railways.

So anything with markings prior to SNCF are candidates.  If you are super fussy about this (I am) then you'd need to research the specific model in relation to the dates printed in the carriage frames. But generally, anything prior to 1920 works.

From what I see, REE Models and LS Models are the only companies producing French models from this early period, but you may need to contact them if you really do need them dated early to clarify the date exactly.

The USA-marked stock is all relevant, except that to be USA marked means that they represent 1940s France.  The ones in your photos are available in pre-SNCF liveries from REE and LSM.

Check also Pierre Dominique in Paris. They have some kits that are late 1800's from defunct 1970/80s firms.  This retailer also has REE and LSM items  in stock.

Good luck.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Vinedusk said:

Hello,

Your request is easier with German rolling stock.  German railways were based off the former royal houses that were removed at the end of the WWI.  The end of WWI separates German Era 1 and Era 2 rolling stock.

France had an array of private railways, not linked to the notions of State.  SNCF was created inn 1938, I think just prior to the German invasion of France.  So technically, all those private railways had always existed up until the formation of SNCF, without the separation as seen with the German railways.

So anything with markings prior to SNCF are candidates.  If you are super fussy about this (I am) then you'd need to research the specific model in relation to the dates printed in the carriage frames. But generally, anything prior to 1920 works.

From what I see, REE Models and LS Models are the only companies producing French models from this early period, but you may need to contact them if you really do need them dated early to clarify the date exactly.

The USA-marked stock is all relevant, except that to be USA marked means that they represent 1940s France.  The ones in your photos are available in pre-SNCF liveries from REE and LSM.

Check also Pierre Dominique in Paris. They have some kits that are late 1800's from defunct 1970/80s firms.  This retailer also has REE and LSM items  in stock.

Good luck.

Thanks this is very helpful. The REE wagons I have are the earliest REE produced. They have similar looking but later in their catalogue for this period. All are marked with the era. The US army wagons above are by REE and are representative of those wagons shipped over in crates and assembled in the two large railway yards the US used in WWI. They are from a special edition centenary pack: 1918-2018

I would like some early German too. I have been mainly looking at the KPEV.

I have heard of Pierre Dominique but have not looked yet. Thanks again for your post.

• 3 months later...

Like you I am searching for wagons of the WW1 era in France.  I model in H0 (British GNSR mainly) but I'm trying to construct a R.O.D. cameo using a Baldswin and a 2-8-0 in HO that DJH made a kit for years ago, one of which recently appeared in Ebay and which I snapped up.  Once they have ROD transfers on they will suit the part.

But stock is a problem.  The  ROD used a lot of British stock from a whole range of UK railways as well as purpose built wagons ordered by the War Departmnent but, needless to say there aren't any of these in HO unless you can find very old Lima opens in HO and re -wheel them.  You would have hoped for French stock, esp the ubiquitous men/horse vans of thich there are some wonderful photos in both Aves' books.  But so far I've only discovered the REE versions (thanks to French Railway Society) and I would certainly like to acquire some of the ones with the guards box at the van end.  I can't see anything in the LSM list I found on the NET.  Surely Jouef must have ma\de suitable wagons?  And what about coaches?  Are there no WW1 era French coaches around?

I posted on another thread which touched on this subject and designed some 3d prints for early French wagons. Main problem is finding drawings. Same applies for coaches, but many early French coaches survived in departmental use, or for some very rural lines so drawings are available. Mainly short ones,, but I think I found drawings for other coaches as well. There were alsome early railcars for which I have drawings and would like to do some of those.

When it comes to anything WW1 era, the model railway manufacturers weer very slow in doing any of the standard narrow gauge stock, and apart from some relivered and in some cases reliveried incorrect period coaches, there has veen virtually nothing for standard gauge. I have noticed an increase in models and interest within the military modelling fraternity, so I think the railway modelling industry just missed a golden opportunity.

Having said that it was wanting WW1 narrow gauge models that got me into 3D printing.

• RMweb Gold
On 29/08/2020 at 05:02, Vinedusk said:

Hello,

Good luck.

That is not quite an accurate representation of the situation in France.

The government was very interventionist in the way it let out concessions to the railway companies so that there was generally little competition between the companies. And there was also, from the 1920s, OCEM which produced designs of rolling stock used by most of the companies.

The REE models shown earlier in the thread are OCEM 1927 wagons, a design created to replace stock lost in WW1.

• 4 weeks later...

I've now managed to acquire a variety of Continental stock that approximates the types in Ames' books.  All need repainting and the older Joeuf pieces in particular need comprehensive remodelling .  They all also need better wheels but from where?  My calipers say rhey almost all have approx 11mm wheels.  Who makes finer versions of these?  The only maker I know is SEM in Australia.  Anyone in UK?  Or European with a UK stockist?

These are pictures I took in 2018 of one of the 40/8 Merci Train wagons sent to the USA after the Great War and an associated text.  It seems that the majority still exist but not all are as well looked after as this one.  I have seen another one, stored under cover but it was not easily photographed as it was in a poorly lit, confined space.

P1010792.JPG.a039768d73e523b7a8de1c7b1166eee5.JPG

P1010805.JPG.9d202ce8add0f702de13790eb1fb5cbf.JPG

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...