Peco turntable LK-55 motorised for £11.50

I’ve just had huge success motorising the TT for £11.50. EBay has a Chinese vendor selling high torque 12v Dc motors with gearboxes and perpendicular 6mm shafts for £8 inc post. I chose one that runs at a staggering 0.6 rpm. It has four screw holes on the upper surface. I also bought a shaft converter from 6mm on the motor to 4mm on the TT (£3.50). I attached a laminated plastic plate under the timetable (an old guitar scratch plate) with bolts placed under each of the three drain covers. Three bolts were dropped from the plate to the top of the motor. The motor runs through a DPDT switch on an auxiliary 12v. It runs perfectly and almost silently. A huge saving as the Peco motor kit is £63 and requires a 2Amp (!?!?) transformer.

7F734A9F-62D2-4D82-B651-41599346AFFB.jpeg

CAFA0F70-DBC9-4F80-9ED2-6AB2B13F9D49.jpeg

3435FE4A-FD88-4644-95CF-CB98FFB2D80A.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

I’ve been stopping the TT manually with a three way switch (DPDT) but even at 0.6 rpm it has a tiny bit of momentum so have now ordered a PWM 12v motor speed regulator (EBay £3.12) which claims to reduce speed down to 2%. I was going to put in a resistor to make it slower but apparently that loses power and a PWM avoids this. When I found how cheap they were, I ordered one straight away.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Rick Gibson said:

I’ve been stopping the TT manually with a three way switch (DPDT) but even at 0.6 rpm it has a tiny bit of momentum so have now ordered a PWM 12v motor speed regulator (EBay £3.12) which claims to reduce speed down to 2%. I was going to put in a resistor to make it slower but apparently that loses power and a PWM avoids this. When I found how cheap they were, I ordered one straight away.

Hi Rick

Any chance of links to all the parts Motor, Shaft and Speed Regulator 

A video would be great.

Thanks for posting it.

Terry 

I got a similar motor from Banngood for about a fiver! It was almost a straight fit on the turntable spindle but i haven't got round to screwing it to the turntable base and have now "lost" the motor!

I remember turning down the output spindle of the gearbox to 4mm to suit the Peco turntable shaft and locked it on the flat with a metal sleeve with a 10ba screw in it. 

Mine works with a similar 3 way DPDT switch with centre spring bias.