Any Experience of Bachmann Repairs?

• RMweb Premium

Hi all,

I've just tested my Bachmann Robinson Class 04 purchased new for a very good price (under £60) but it's faulty :cry:

The seller has been very good and offered a refund or alternatively for it to go to Bachmann for Warranty Repair; unfortunately replacements aren't available :(

When power is applied all it does is make a graunching sound and bounce up and down a little, with no fwd/rev movement; either there's a pretty basic drivechain (motor/gearbox) issue or the wheels are locking up (quartering?).

Does anyone have experience of the Bachmann repair loop by any chance?  Whilst I have no concerns that they could fix it (assuming parts are available) it's the small detail parts that I'm concerned could get damaged in the process, or the finish marked.  Thoughts/experiences would be much appreciated please.  Thanks

Brian

40 minutes ago, polybear said:

When power is applied all it does is make a graunching sound and bounce up and down a little, with no fwd/rev movement; either there's a pretty basic drivechain (motor/gearbox) issue or the wheels are locking up (quartering?).

Brian

Just check the valve gear first. One of my Patriots did that after I'd been messing with it. Turned out I'd squeezed the valve gear on one side and locked it. 

• Informative/Useful 1

50 minutes ago, polybear said:

I've just tested my Bachmann Robinson Class 04 purchased new for a very good price (under £60) but it's faulty.

The seller has been very good and offered a refund or alternatively for it to go to Bachmann for Warranty Repair.

If that is a new purchase within the last 12 months, from a Bachmann authorised retailer, then you can send it in to Bachmann with proof of purchase under the terms of the consumer guarantee, which should be in the box.

If you involve a third party, opinion about Bachmann's (consistently good in my limited experience) performance isn't sufficient, because the third party is also in the loop.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Is Bachmann's service department accepting repair jobs at the moment?  They suspended operations back in March but I haven't heard anything about resuming yet.

• Informative/Useful 1

I sent a second hand N Class loco on a very circuitous journey back to Bachman via AMC after it threw out a con rod pin and I couldn't fix it.  There was a 30 pound charge "which includes a small amount of parts".  Repairs via shops tend to be collected as the sales person visits and then returned when they come back.  But not a problem for me.

Run perfectly fine ever since. 

• Like 1

On 17/08/2020 at 10:53, polybear said:

Hi all,

I've just tested my Bachmann Robinson Class 04 purchased new for a very good price (under £60) but it's faulty :cry:

The seller has been very good and offered a refund or alternatively for it to go to Bachmann for Warranty Repair; unfortunately replacements aren't available :(

Does anyone have experience of the Bachmann repair loop by any chance?  Whilst I have no concerns that they could fix it (assuming parts are available) it's the small detail parts that I'm concerned could get damaged in the process, or the finish marked.  Thoughts/experiences would be much appreciated please.  Thanks

Brian

Brian,

Accept a discount for the inconvenience to say the least.    If you have a retailer-receipt then contact Bachmann Service Department for returns advice.    If it's under Warranty and you opt for a return then remove the body and just send them the chassis but, although they're usually okay, tell them that you intend doing this!

Now to the fault...  Is there free movement of all the wheels, side to side..??  If there is then fine.   Remove the long rod to (IIRC) the 3rd wheel (Each Side of Loco').   Are the wheels free of the long rod from the valve-gear on each side and do they now turn freely if slight power is applied... If the same fault persists then the fault is between the motor worm-gear and the small-toothed gear on the axle.   Turn the loco' upside-down and remove the base plate to get at the wheels or, if you prefer, remove the body and work your way down.   Quartering: The wheel to axle alignment should be 90 degrees, 12 o'clock and 9 o'clock.

Best of luck...

Edited by Heiter
1/4ing...
  • Thanks 1

My experience of Bachmann's warranty repair service wasn't good.

Class 90 returned via retailer due to the dreaded broken bogie issue.  Two months later it came back - repaired but broken in transit again!  A combination of a poor repair and inadequate packing under the bogies.

Gave up in the end.  Got a refund from the retailer and purchased another loco from a different shop who took the trouble to ensure all was good prior to dispatch and wedged bogies secure with additional packing.

Bachmann didn't seem to care much when I phoned their service department  - denied there was ever a problem with Class 90 bogies.  Yeah, right!

• Informative/Useful 1