Clerestory coach dimensions

Dear all,

I have come to the conclusion that drawings are inaccurate and only dimensions will do.  I had this completely unsurprising revelation whilst using drawings from various sources to make CAD artwork for 3d printing.  This is not to impugn the draftsmen or women involved in the drawing but merely to recognize the impact of line thickness and pixelation.

So does anyone have the heights from the solebar/floor (ie the bottom of the coach side) join to the top of the eaves panels of the following types of coaches using the Lewis classification?

• CAA12B
  • CAE12N
  • CAE7N
  • CEE7N
  • CAE12CN

Some time ago Penhros1920 of this parish kindly supplied me with the heights for low roofed coaches (6'2 and 6'5 depending on eaves type if you are interested), so its just clerestories info (and my cackhanded attempts at 3D design - see my £D workbench thread for some of the designs mistakes I've been making recently) that are holding up the 3d production of coaching stock for Nampara.

Thanks for any info or help,

Duncan

Duncan,

Many years ago (Model Railway Constructor Annual 1981), there was an article by Brian Lewis on GWR Dean Coaches.  As well as describing his system of coach identification, there were some drawings illustrating the various measurements of what were standard component parts that a coach was made up of.

I have that annual, and I also have scanned images of the article that I provided to a friend a few years ago.  I will have a root around on my Mac to see if I can find the electronic copies, if not I'll re-scan the article for you.

Regards

Ian

• Like 1

J. E. D. Binney wrote  a comprehensive series of articles for "The Model Railway News" on the GWR clerestory coaches. September 1952 article gives all the paneling dimension and the floor to eve heights end panels dimensions. The drawing for this article is for a LH 56ft Van third.

He gives the body dimension as 6ft-51/4in from bottom floor to eve.

• Informative/Useful 1

Having now re read the article, Mr Binney says the the drawings he was looking at does not make it clear that the side dimension is to the cornice or the underside of the eve. Checking the running numbers given with Harris show that this coach is a D29.

• 1 month later...

If you look at my listing on Historical wagon and coach magazine articles  you will be able to read all the Michael Longridge and J.ED Binney coach articles and see their drawings.

Dave

Edited by kada33

9 hours ago, kada33 said:

If you look at my listing on Historical wagon and coach magazine articles  you will be able to read all the Michael Longridge and J.ED Binney coach articles and see their drawings.

Dave

Can you post a link?