I dropped my BR L1 and broke the 4 wheel rear bogie. No spares available!

George Hudson

Stupidly I dropped my BR L1 and broke the 4 wheel rear bogie.  One side is broken and hence bogie appears curved and derails of course.

I asked Hornby if I could get a replacement as  I couldn't  see it on the list of spares.  Unfortunately I got the rather unhelpful/automaton response from Hornby below (!).

Could anyone suggest a replacement from another manufacturer/supplier or another solution.  I don't mind a bit of "fettling" but a scratch build is probably beyond me.

Many thanks 

Andrew

..."

Hello Andrew,

Thank you for your email, I have spoken with the spares team, unfortunately  they have informed  me that the part you have requested is not listed as a replacement part.

Yours sincerely.."

2020-08-09_16_51_59.jpg

• Friendly/supportive 1

10 minutes ago, phil_sutters said:

How bad is the damage? Can it not be repaired?

Good point - what exactly has broken - if a case that its come loose that is probably due to the crazy fixing method Hornby employed on a number of models (not sure if it applies to the L1) of having the pivot retained by a piece of rubber similar to wire insulation -  a sharp action and it pulls apart. On my Schools I replaced it with a washer and managed to thread a nut onto the pivot to retain - another not so clever piece of "design clever" by them.

Edited by Butler Henderson
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Looks like a guard iron has broken off on the right hand side and on the same side the bogie frame has cracked close to the front (inner) pair of wheels. Probably repairable but if a spare can be found may be a more satisfactory solution.

Edited by NCB
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, phil_sutters said:

How bad is the damage? Can it not be repaired?

Great modelling opportunity, needs to go to works for that.  Take the bogie off, put it in a wagon, remove the motor from the loco, and remove the connecting rods and put them on the tank tops. Now it can be dragged dead by whatever maid of all work loco is available, with wagon and a brake van completing the ensemble. Yet another Concrete mixer in serious trouble. If the modelling date is the latter half of 1959 or later, it'll be the chop rather than repair...

• Like 1

Fantastic responses: thank you everyone.  Now I know why I am on RM Web.  To be fair to Hornby they did also just suggest:

..."Thank you for your reply, may I suggest that you could try AC Models for a replacement bogie, they break models down and sell the parts individually."

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 28/12/2020 at 21:28, DLPG said:

Are Hornby replacing Mazak rot issues?

To my eyes that break wasnt a result of the drop.

more the drop brought about a break as a consequence of mazak rot.

it looks like the signature signs of cracking is there.

can you post a close up ?

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 28/12/2020 at 21:28, DLPG said:

Are Hornby replacing Mazak rot issues?

The answer is no. There seems to be a lack of spares out there so I have a scrap L1, used once briefly. 

Not sure a brass replacement is out there?