OO Back to back,14.50 or 14.75

• RMweb Premium

I think it's probably the high pivot point, I have a pair of these which I've run together for many years but never reliably. I've tried all sorts of springing arrangements, mostly out of a pig-headed desire to make these old Hornby Dublo models work, I have no use or place for them on any of my present layouts.

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, JohnR said:

So, to summarise, am I right in saying that the "correct" B2B for post-2000 RTR wheels on Peco code 75 track is 14.5mm?

I always go for 14.4mm

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, JohnR said:

So, to summarise, am I right in saying that the "correct" B2B for post-2000 RTR wheels on Peco code 75 track is 14.5mm?

I understand that the correct back-to-back for Ready-to-Run wheels (ie those that are to RP25/110) is 14.4 mm.  14.5 mm is for 'kit' wheels, which have a slightly narrower flange.

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Dungrange said:

I understand that the correct back-to-back for Ready-to-Run wheels (ie those that are to RP25/110) is 14.4 mm.  14.5 mm is for 'kit' wheels, which have a slightly narrower flange.

31 minutes ago, ikcdab said:

I always go for 14.4mm

Ok thanks, in which case my next question is any recommendations on one to buy? I see several available for 14,5mm.

3 minutes ago, JohnR said:

Ok thanks, in which case my next question is any recommendations on one to buy? I see several available for 14,5mm.

The 00 Gauge association sell Gauges that are 14.4 mm (described as 'intermediate').  The 'finescale' ones are 14.8mm, so you want to avoid these if using commercial ready-to-lay track.

http://www.doubleogauge.com/shop.htm

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, JohnR said:

I just use a Vernier gauge. Much better than a back to back gauge and probably much the same price.

• Agree 3

For scale 00 (a contradiction in terms I know) the correct check gauge is 15mm (for 1.25mm flangeways). The back to back then depends on the flange thickness and will vary in the range 14.4 - 14.6mm. there is plenty of slop in the standard (such as it is) so erring on the wide side is better than narrow IMHO.

My trackwork is mainly a mixture of code 100 Streamline and Formoway. This has been obtained  second hand from toy fairs etc.. I must have a session of measuring flangeways as they all seem in need of tightening up.

4 minutes ago, Il Grifone said:

For scale 00 (a contradiction in terms I know) the correct check gauge is 15mm (for 1.25mm flangeways). The back to back then depends on the flange thickness and will vary in the range 14.4 - 14.6mm. there is plenty of slop in the standard (such as it is) so erring on the wide side is better than narrow IMHO.

I think the correct check gauge for commercial 00 should be 15.3 mm: not 15 mm  (ie it needs to be slightly wider than the track gauge minus the flangeway gap: 16.5 mm - 1.25 mm = 15.25 mm).  A check gauge of 15.25 mm would only work if your flangeway gap was a tolerance of +/- 0 mm.  A check gauge of 15 mm would imply very course scale flangeways.

http://doubleogauge.com/standards/commercialtrack.htm

The back to front measurement on the wheelset should however be slightly less, a maximum of 15.2 mm according to the 00 gauge association.

http://doubleogauge.com/standards/commercialwheels.htm

However, I agree that this produces a range of acceptable back to back dimensions depending on the profile of the wheels in use.