HYA/IIA, BY Accurascale in OO/4mm scale!

• RMweb Gold

HYA DECORATED SAMPLES AND UPDATE!

448843038_AccurascaleHYAFastlineFreight-5.jpg.ea22ad7f0211798b9dbbb50bd8cc4dd8.jpg

The good news keeps rolling here at Accurascale with yet another project update. Today it's the turn of the most modern wagon in our "Powering Britain" series of wagons; the HYA coal hopper wagon.

Tweaks in printing and colours are required but overall it is shaping up quite well. Delivery is slated for Q2 2021 and they are available to pre-order now via your local stockist or direct with us!

1285070878_AccurascaleHYAFastlineFreight-3.jpg.5f8479450ad08a8523edf0e5752ee5a7.jpg

We will have an update on the IIA Biomass variant tomorrow, but in the meantime check out the HYA update and more see more images here: https://accurascale.co.uk/blogs/news/hya-decorated-samples-and-update-march-2021 

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 13

32 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

However, they're quite vivid on the real things too when pristine.

Yes, I think the lines look fine for pristine as you said I just wasn't sure which was the colour!

This is a good example of how a factory "weathered" version for current day users would be helpful (I normally stay away as I like the clean look). I say that as weathering in most people's eyes is making something look dirty (it would seem) whereas that's a different thing altogether to representing how the material has discoloured with age. You could get one of these wagons now and get it spotless and it wouldn't look as new. Most things (being painted) would look as new without redefining how the item is finished. I think it would be difficult to weather these to get the effect of the metal discolouration without making a mess of the printing.

Edited by TomScrut

Hi Fran,

Just read the email with this update. I think it looks excellent in the photos and certainly captures the prototype well. I was interested to see how the weld lines would look on a model but I think you’ve achieved a realistic appearance and they look perfect to be able to weather up to suit. I’ve gone for a nice mix to form a 20 wagon rake after watching several YouTube videos at Carlisle for the time frame I want to model and these are certainly going to be impressive.

All the best

Mark

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I want to use these on stone trains on our club layout.  I know that a number have been cut down for use on stone trains.  However, are there unmodified wagons also used on stone traffic?

This was taken at Peak Forest in 2019 and looks to me like an unmodified wagon.  Any help much appreciated.

A8E08CA5-1C24-4E08-A1E0-DB177C0C3EF3.jpeg

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, mevaman1 said:

I want to use these on stone trains on our club layout.  I know that a number have been cut down for use on stone trains.  However, are there unmodified wagons also used on stone traffic?

This was taken at Peak Forest in 2019 and looks to me like an unmodified wagon.  Any help much appreciated.

Unaltered wagons are still in use on stone, but getting less by the day.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, mevaman1 said:

Plenty of livery variations in the same stone train....

728350802_IMG_4023(1280x853).jpg.a8c51ee56f95d786082d58fd35c5b5ab.jpg

1667117802_IMG_4034(1280x853).jpg.13de79f02d7231707af174977c63a34e.jpg

812850228_IMG_4036(1280x853).jpg.0ab588d11881c943dc696ebb8dfc9e21.jpg

1153862834_IMG_4038(1280x853).jpg.8b627986c3f6414be43eff42e580168b.jpg

which also included a single 'shorty' in the middle.

733275122_IMG_4026(1280x853).jpg.2c45715d3b1e9699a40e273bf0b47182.jpg

Cheers,

Phil.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, mevaman1 said:

Just spotted that this wagon is coded IIA whereas there were also HYAs in the rake.

Edited by mevaman1
Typo
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, mevaman1 said:

Just spotted that this wagon is coded IIA whereas there were also HYAs in the rake.

I believe HYA and IIA are the same.

HYA carried 6 figure "TOPS" numbers, whilst IIA have the 11+1 digit RIV number. I think there's more detail on the A/S website

Edited by newbryford
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 15/02/2021 at 23:52, newbryford said:

I believe HYA and IIA are the same.

HYA carried 6 figure "TOPS" numbers, whilst IIA have the 11+1 digit RIV number. I think there's more detail on the A/S website

some HYAs also have the RIV number

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, martin_l_jones said:

Hopefully not, LOL !!!

Well they actually pulled it off with their Class 121 loco under Irish Model Railways/Murphy Models thus can't see why AS can't do this with a wagon, was just asking the question considering the lengths they go to with detail on their products which are outstanding but if not in this case then that is also ok.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, classy52 said:

Please don't crucify me for asking but will these have rotating axle boxes as per prototype?

See posts 4/5 on page 1........ Just below and above a couple of your posts.....

Edited by newbryford

6 minutes ago, newbryford said:

See posts 4/5 on page 1........ Just below and above a couple of your posts.....

That settles it then with an !

Can imagine their boardroom meeting discussing the detail and Fran pounding the desk with his fist saying no no no no no!!!!!...someone else pipes up with, but Fran we did it on the Class 121 without any problems...then Fran's death stare whilst uttering the words, you get out!

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, classy52 said:

That settles it then with an !

Can imagine their boardroom meeting discussing the detail and Fran pounding the desk with his fist saying no no no no no!!!!!...someone else pipes up with, but Fran we did it on the Class 121 without any problems...then Fran's death stare whilst uttering the words, you get out!

Just for sake of clarity, the 121 Class is made by Murphy Models, who is a different company to us. 

(You're right about my Malcolm Tucker traits though sadly!) 

• Funny 2

5 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Just for sake of clarity, the 121 Class is made by Murphy Models, who is a different company to us. 

(You're right about my Malcolm Tucker traits though sadly!) 

Apologies Fran I thought Murphy Models came under the same umbrella as I had seen Irish Railway Models in there somewhere when the product was advertised...I'm so confused :banghead:

• Funny 1