DCC Newbie - just started with first system

rynd2it

I have just started to use my first system - NCE Power Cab starter set. I have three DCC fitted locos, one runs great with no problems.

One of the others is a Bachman Branch Line 64xx GWR tank loco with a Lais-DCC chip (6-pin) 860044. When it sits on the programming track it buzzes on DCC power but runs fine on DC. When I investigated it appears the chip was in upside down so I reversed it but no change in behaviour. This is also happening to a Hornby Rail car fitted with an anonymous chip marked 1606-X001; again it runs on DC but just buzzes on DCC. I acquired all these second hand with no history but all appeared brand new in unmarked boxes.

I suspect the chips are fried but are there some other tests I can do?

Thanks in advance

David

Edited by rynd2it

Hi. I have been round this block and wound up just buying Zimo chips. I have a 64xx pannier and it runs superbly with a Zimo decoder.

I am not that far from you (in rural French terms!) at 86400 Lizant so if you fancy trying them on a different set up you are welcome to come round.

• Like 1

I agree with JST. Unless I am buying a sound fitted loco, I always buy DCC ready and fit my own Zimo decoders.

They have none sound decoders at just 20 quid, and they give superb running and have more CV's than you can shake a stick at.

They are sometimes in short supply, but that's because they are in demand :)

Regards,

John P

• Like 2

Sorry to hear about your early DCC problems.

I agree with the earlier comments made about factory fitted v fitting your own. My own experience was of a Hornby tank loco. At the time it was a new model fitted with their 1st generation decoders which had been discontinued several years earlier because it did not work properly.

I hope you get your running issues resolved soon. I got hooked on DCC by the freedom of driving 2 locos along the same short piece of track independently of each other & I found this was a whole new world compared with DC.

Extra features can be used if & when you want...or not if you don't want them.

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, rynd2it said:

I have just discovered that the 860044 is not a chip but a blanking plug. I need to buy some chips

Yes, the buzzing is the characteristic sound of a very unhappy DC motor being given a high-power AC signal (the DCC signal) because there is no DCC decoder between the motor and the track.

It shouldn't have done any permanent damage if you didn't have it turned on for too long.

While you're buying decoders (I agree with the others that Zimo are a good choice) buy some spare ones to replace any Lais chips you have... :wink_mini:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rynd2it said:

I have just discovered that the 860044 is not a chip but a blanking plug. I need to buy some chips

Personally I would purchase complete decoders rather than chips and I consider Zimo to make the best decoders :)

• Funny 2

1 hour ago, WIMorrison said:

Personally I would purchase complete decoders rather than chips and I consider Zimo to make the best decoders :)

How would you differentiate between chips & decoders?  Just curious

I believe Iain was being a little 'tongue in cheek' there.

A lot of people use the terms chip and decoder interchangeably.

Strictly speaking, the thing you put in the loco is a decoder, it is a small PCB with a number of components on it, the main component, and some others, being  'silicon' chips.

Regards,

John P

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Neils WRX said:

have you got hooked on sound yet ?

This is a very slippery slope :-)

Slow down, slow down. Don't get carried away.

Surely having fun driving trains is the next step & get comfortable with this?

Then maybe fit sound to 1 loco & realise it gets used a lot more than the others. :D

3 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

Slow down, slow down. Don't get carried away.

Surely having fun driving trains is the next step & get comfortable with this?

Then maybe fit sound to 1 loco & realise it gets used a lot more than the others. :D

For me it was sound that got me into DCC, not the other way around!!

Stay safe,

Neil

• Like 1

Thanks for all the input, very useful stuff indeed.

My main reason for getting into DCC was to reduce the amount and complexity of the wiring after my last project (an OO9 layout with 27 turnouts, working semaphore signals, lighting etc). If I plan properly on my next project it should be much simpler.

Once again thanks, all questions answered.

• Like 2