Reason for downtime

• RMweb Gold

Indeed. LINX was affected, and LINX is a major part of the "Inter" part of the internet. Funnily enough I  just sent that link to my manager - I'm amazed we weren't more affected than a few flaky phone calls.

• Moderators

Serves me right for having that crafty fag in the bog. :biggrin_mini2:

Yes, it was a great start to today at 6.30 getting up to find everything dark.

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Bucoops said:

Indeed. LINX was affected, and LINX is a major part of the "Inter" part of the internet. Funnily enough I  just sent that link to my manager - I'm amazed we weren't more affected than a few flaky phone calls.

Yeah, thankfully most of our stuff is in LD5 but a few of the MPLS links went through LD8, so I've spent a large part of the day explaining why we can't wave a magic wand and fix it. :(

Al.

• Friendly/supportive 2

At work we had a UPS that was remote from the computer/datalogger that it backed up, a new site services supplier was appointed, and they had the UPS serviced at the appointed time, but because they didn't know what it actually supplied, they turned it off and waited for someone to complain....

Jon

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

Yeah, thankfully most of our stuff is in LD5 but a few of the MPLS links went through LD8, so I've spent a large part of the day explaining why we can't wave a magic wand and fix it. :(

Al.

I have absolutely no idea where our MPLS links connect - they've never told us. Not this one it would seem - although I understand that not everything went down as some racks had already been moved to a different UPS (and more were due to be moved later today as scheduled maintenance). I've seen stories of people going in and taking feeds from one rack to another. What a farce.

• Agree 1

• Moderators

I can't give a clear explanation for this morning's problem but some intermediary cloud storage name cropped up in comms this morning that has never been mentioned before and it took an age to get an answer that there'd been a failure in a kernel upgrade. I'm getting twitchy.

• Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, jonhall said:

At work we had a UPS that was remote from the computer/datalogger that it backed up, a new site services supplier was appointed, and they had the UPS serviced at the appointed time, but because they didn't know what it actually supplied, they turned it off and waited for someone to complain....

Jon

we had a old fashion UPS on a radar I worked on a Dirty great generator with flywheel, the power failed the flywheel cltuch dropped out the generator was supposed to come on..  never did, we always had brown outs so the flywheel wasn't going fast enoughs.

Instruction Manual , from an equipment I used to work on...

Line 1 "Switch off the online Master Timing Unit 1 and check it switches to  MTU 2."

Line 2 " Switch off MTU 2 and check it switches to MTU 1"

err ummm

• Funny 3

1 hour ago, TheQ said:

we had a old fashion UPS on a radar I worked on a Dirty great generator with flywheel, the power failed the flywheel cltuch dropped out the generator was supposed to come on..  never did, we always had brown outs so the flywheel wasn't going fast enoughs.

We used to get brown outs on the 14th (top) floor of the building I once worked in; mainly due to it being struck by lightning.