Passengers Heading to Glastonbury

I am one of these days going to get to build my fictitious S&D - main line station in 00

I am looking for some suitable figures to represent passengers heading for Glastonbury.

Is there a suitably sized Gandalf (or similar Wizard) and Granny Weatherwax available in this scale?

I remember in my youth 'Lord of the Rings' white metal figures

• RMweb Premium

Do such people actually travel by train? (Daft question - Hogwarts Express and all that.) I thought they just had their secret ways of turning up unannounced when least expected? Or was that just Bradshaw all along? Broomsticks presumably counted as "tools of the trade" so not charged for. Well, would you try telling Granny Weatherwax she had to pay 6d and put her broom in the van?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

You need to be looking for 20mm (height) figures. I can't immediately see any individual figures in that scale for LoTR but there are several board games with that sized figures. They seem to be plastic and can be anything from £40 up for a second-hand game. Of course you would need to be sure the figures you want were in the game in question. When individual characters are sold they tend to be in the larger scales starting at 28mm. Good hunting! I wonder who lived in a hut like this?

ex MR 0 6 0 43419 Glastonbury 10 6 1958 imp.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Do a search for 20mm fantasy miniatures and that should provide you with some useful links. 15mm & 28mm are by far the most common scales for fantasy/RPG type ranges but there are definitely some doing 20mm.

4 hours ago, phil_sutters said:

You need to be looking for 20mm (height) figures. I can't immediately see any individual figures in that scale for LoTR but there are several board games with that sized figures. They seem to be plastic and can be anything from £40 up for a second-hand game. Of course you would need to be sure the figures you want were in the game in question. When individual characters are sold they tend to be in the larger scales starting at 28mm. Good hunting! I wonder who lived in a hut like this?

ex MR 0 6 0 43419 Glastonbury 10 6 1958 imp.jpg

Its an ex US Quonsett Hut

Look at Child Okeford that appeared in Railway Modeller recently

Based on a real story of a Wren at a Naval Air Base,  HMS Dipper, who at the end of WW2 bought a Quonsett hut & lived in it on a smallholding, until her 90's when Social Services discovered her , presumably by then a little frail.

• RMweb Gold

I did see that and this photo appeared in the next issue's letters column, slightly cropped with some of the Quonsett Hut missing. Burnham to Glastonbury and perhaps Wells would make a lovely preserved line, with great tourist potential. The festival time would be a completely manic period.

Edited by phil_sutters