Hornby Shop Swindon Outlet Village

TRAILRAGE

Oh, that's disappointing to hear. I was a regular in there for years as a long-time West Swindon resident (a Gresley Full Brake in BR maroon for £22 was my best score) until I moved 200 miles south west in January. Still, I had expected to be able to pop in during visits to eldest son still living there, and quite close to the outlet centre. Not so then, but under the circumstances I shouldn't be surprised really, should I....?

Too much competition, and its hidden away in a really awful shopping mall.  My father in Law ended up in A and E last visit after tripping over a loose paving stone.  I assume Spot on models are still there in town and Replica on the industrial estate,  so all is not lost.  I go to Cheltenham Model Centre for bits and bargains  despite shopping in Swindon.

14 hours ago, DavidCBroad said:

Too much competition, and its hidden away in a really awful shopping mall.  My father in Law ended up in A and E last visit after tripping over a loose paving stone.  I assume Spot on models are still there in town and Replica on the industrial estate,  so all is not lost.  I go to Cheltenham Model Centre for bits and bargains  despite shopping in Swindon.

It is right opposite an eatery in the Outlet Centre in the former Swindon Works - a 'really awful shopping mall'?!! And directly across from the STEAM railway museum. Difficult to see how it could be in a better location, but sadly no doubt another victim of the Covid-19 crisis.

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

1 hour ago, dibber25 said:

It is right opposite an eatery in the Outlet Centre in the former Swindon Works - a 'really awful shopping mall'?!! And

Having been there a few times, my view is that you are both right. 

The Steam museum is good, but I thought the mall was baffling and somewhat soul-destroying, and, like most ‘designer malls’, sold nothing that you couldn’t well manage without, and had incredibly bland eateries.

The Hornby shop was ‘alright’, but almost as bland as the food, unfortunately.

Where next for the Grumpy Late Middle Aged Bloke’s Guide to Shopping, eh?

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Was in the outlet shop today and noticed the signs about closing down - they have some nice discounts going, had Ruston's for £56 which is about the cheapest I've seen and at least one B2 Peckett going at £77 or so. Picked up a few Hogwarts Express coaches for £24 each.

Think I heard one of the staff say something about September which I guess is when they are closing.

@Northroader Its a Hornby outlet, they only sell Hornby and sister brands like Airfix. Sadly no Arnold to be seen. They did have a basket of unboxed Oxford Rail wagons for £7.50 each though.

The outlet did have one major advantage over Spot On - it was actually open on a Wednesday....

Edited by Kaput
  • Informative/Useful 1

This is a shame as I have visited the Hornby shop numerous times.  I personally model in N gauge but it was good for Humbrol products etc.  Spot On Models is OK but quite a trek in to the town from the Outlet.  As for food, I often go to the Whistle Stop Cafe in the STEAM museum which is excellent.

Kind regards

Paddy

Edited by Paddy

1 hour ago, Northroader said:

As long as SPOT ON survives, you’re laughing, much better selection of materials and second hand as well, with very experienced staff.  Hornby shop just sells OO Hornby, I ask you?

Hornby I am surprised lasted this long .

spot on - nice folk - but I couldn’t see any new stuff at all last visit , but vast swathes of second hand Lima .

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The Hornby shop was surprising, you could quite often find unexpected bargains in there, about a year ago I picked up a brand new 50 for £90, coaches and rolling stock was quite competitive as well.

Some of the current "bargains" are not quite as they seem so beware..eg I was looking at Mk2s and they said the list price was £50 and they had been reduced to £29 this list price was never £50 in that shop (they always sold coaches below RRP). Even the Hornby website has the coaches listed at £40.

I visited last week, most of the D+E locos had already gone but they did have a wide selection of steamers still available. And a br blue 87 for £102 

wagons they had the 3 pack of Tarmac procors for about £30

Edited by pheaton

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, pheaton said:

I visited last week, most of the D+E locos had already gone but they did have a wide selection of steamers still available.

You have time to model as well as keeping 26043 running? I am impressed! I saw 043 in Toddington yard yesterday with her newly repainted ends and thought how good she looked. Its such a shame that there is so little opportunity for her to do any work at present

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, young37215 said:

You have time to model as well as keeping 26043 running? I am impressed! I saw 043 in Toddington yard yesterday with her newly repainted ends and thought how good she looked. Its such a shame that there is so little opportunity for her to do any work at present

If you read my blog, 043 wont be moving under its own power until Christmas at least ;)

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Good luck,

I won’t be going over as the designer outlet means I’ll accidentally get sucked into The Cadbury’s , Thornton’s and Lindt shops There as well !

That can work in your favour - given that Cadbury’s is next door to the Hornby Outlet; when Mrs. ZG goes into Cadbury’s I can always say I’m just popping next door for a moment...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...