Hobbycraft foamboard

Guest Jack Benson

Guest Jack Benson

Hi,

Has anyone attempted to emboss or scribe the foamboard from Hobbycraft, presumably after tearing off the outer layer or maybe not? 

Just asking.

Cheers and Stay Safe

I assume you are referring to the 4 for £10 big sheets? I have tried removing the paper on one side of the board variously by soaking in hot water, steaming etc, without success. The only way I was able to remove it was by  covering the board with a damp tea towel, and then pressing with a very hot iron, until the glue melted, at which point it became possible to lift and peel the paper progressively from the foam. It was a four handed job, and when the skin was removed, the board promptly curled up, making it unusable. I understand that you can buy more expensive foamboard which is easier to strip. I gave up on the Hobbycraft stuff, and bought some sheets of depron (defron?) beloved of airplane modellers. This  is reasonably priced, and is a delight to emboss with simple tools, and takes paint really well.
John

Guest Jack Benson

Jinty,

I had previously tried the local aeromodelling shop without success, where did you obtain the Depron board?

Cheers

Edited by Jack Benson
Correct spelling

Depron is no longer manufactured but you may find some at Steve Webb models in Frodsham. Graupner did a replacement foam material called Vector board but I don't know whether it will emboss. Again Webbies used to stock this.

HTH

idd

Guest Jack Benson
1 hour ago, idd15 said:

Depron is no longer manufactured but you may find some at Steve Webb models in Frodsham. Graupner did a replacement foam material called Vector board but I don't know whether it will emboss. Again Webbies used to stock this.

HTH

idd

Steve Webb

and
Steve Webb Depron

Thank you

I bought mine on eBay a few years ago.  It is still available there ....https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Depron-foam-3mm-x-1000mm-x-400mm-4-Sheet-Pack-Grey/203067388690?hash=item2f47c27312:g:A8sAAOSw~VBcLhux

Hobbyking offer their own brand of foamboard which they claim is similar to depron, but they make no mention of its suitability for embossing. However it seems cheap enough, and may have plenty of other uses too. I am tempted to buy some for general hobby usage .

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/aero-modelling-foam-board-3mm-x-500mm-x-700mm-white.html?queryID=be2ecf1d370bf97a9f1a2a2058f0fe17&objectID=44376&indexName=hbk_live_magento_en_us_products

On ‎19‎/‎08‎/‎2020 at 16:24, Jack Benson said:

Has anyone attempted to emboss or scribe the foamboard from Hobbycraft, presumably after tearing off the outer layer or maybe not?

I made a couple of architectural models at 1:50 from Hobbycraft foamboard to illustrate building modifications for people not accustomed to translating drawings into 3D. When the architect had a look at the half complete first item, she asked that I selectively scribe into the paper surface some joint lines to suggest quoins, coursing, and arch stonework. It wasn't what you would call 'crisp'; adequate for illustrative purposes only, on what were 'quick, cheap and dirty' mock ups, would be my feeling.

• Informative/Useful 1