Heljan GWR Railcar in O?

swiftbeam

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Once off the plinth, not quite as heavy as promised, but fine. Single bogie drive.

Absolutely no detail hidden by valances, and these are a little fragile. Might add a block of something to add some weight and support the fairings when handling.

Still, it looks magnificent, will source a decoder tomorrow.

N

2395EB86-FE06-4B01-A921-792BFBC6D445.jpeg

364646E7-44ED-4A41-BD08-58421856243F.jpeg

Edited by neal
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for that.............. mine arrives on Monday.

Looks better than a lot of the pre production pics.

It will be the first Heljan RTR I`ve purchased so I hope the motor mechanism is up to the job......

1 hour ago, neal said:

Given the absence of engine detail, this would be a great aftermarket opportunity for a set of 3D printed engines and fuel tank. 

I’d buy a set!!

But they'll be totally invisible unless you turn it upside down? The decoder access hatch and the mounting for a speaker are behind the skirts. (CJL)

• Agree 1

Sitting in bed, I have been hatching a plan to create a removable ‘tray’ insert to install below the chassis and represent running gear. The sides of the tray will be tight to the valance inner faces to provide support, and retained with magnet or black-tack.

The central grilles installed to the valances are perforated (although not enough to see through) these are slightly proud of the inner face of the valance, and will need to be accommodated.  I think I can notch the base of the tray around the decoder access cover, and lighting control switches. At present I am not planning to install sound so leaving speaker-space isn’t an issue.

The content of the tray will need to represent this lot (linked from Dapol digest site)

fetch?id=6657&d=1513054986

fetch?id=6658&d=1513055112

looking for running gear, a reasonable representation of engine block might be a 1:48 Hetzer engine from CMK, but if there are better sources of scale Diesel engines, I’d be grateful to hear. Similarly, if anyone has links to drawings that would be a great help.

This project will probably have to wait till I can get back into my model store to source appropriate channel/angle/plasticard, but I think I can get this to work, even if slightly low-profile.

N

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

In the meantime any chance of a pic showing the passenger window glazing please? It doesnt look great in the pre publicity shots but then as someone has intimated above, I dont think they were particularly flattering photos all round.

Ta!

• RMweb Gold

Ooh!  lovely

Nice bit of spaghetti.....

Never take close ups of models...... the glazing is not it`s strongest point, but better at the front.

1614720289IMG_7105.jpg.56fc340b86236561f283272be22c7938.jpg

Passenger windows are ripe for some remedial work using Yorkmodels acrylic glazing sheets if your that inclined. 

1614720885IMG_7106.jpg.d854551e3e5165a041d70609e652b76d.jpg

I bought mine  as a celebration for surviving Coronavirus at 70 in January so I might superdetail it as a future project

Youchoos have the sound file from preserved No22 which I`ve fitted to my kit built earlier AEC  version.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Runs fine with 3fn Soundtrax decoder - if a little growly - but lighting limited to driving and top light. Haven’t tried to remap this to do more.

I have a Lokpilot on order that will hopefully drive the lights as identified in the manual.

N

Pressed the button on ‘project railcar engine’, two of these on their way. Should be able to fettle engines, radiator and batteries plus other details from these. Probably have to scratch build fuel tanks.

I assume general grime would be the colour scheme!

N

40CB72DF-36D1-4BAE-ACCD-2483D91DAED3.jpeg

• Like 1