Heljan GWR Railcar in O?

swiftbeam

• RMweb Gold

Well mine arrived from Anticsonline this morning.

DSC05948.JPG.17df31e0a2a894917550070d82527082.JPG

Nicely packed and protected.

The only casuallties were an unscrewed coupling and a loose axle box lifting loop  all easily fixed....

DSC05949.JPG.69e9c2e0043165a492371bd79fd13939.JPG

Livery is spot on as are the driving controls...........

DSC05950.JPG.efbb0d3e0724053345878ca09d69c14e.JPG

I like the detailed bogie frames.........

DSC05954.JPG.f4ee308639449b3a881d8a809d29ac6a.JPG

And the roof detailing is excellent...............

DSC05957.JPG.5c3087fed8083940b8e511b4370abc3b.JPG

Not sure about the shade of GWR Cream though ....but as she was built new in 1940 maybe there was pigment shortages....

She looks well next to my kit built earlier AEC model....

DSC05963.JPG.fe7c4c9d9e5da940071fe00babf90ddf.JPG

She`s had a quick test on a short piece of track to make sure she runs smoothly and all is ok.

If I was to be really picky .......

The glazing has a thick prism look on the passenger windows.

And the driving side windows look too orange to my eyes.

Otherwise I am very pleased with Heljan`s GWR AEC Railcar RTR offering.

• Like 7

On 22/02/2021 at 07:57, Adrian Stevenson said:

I took the plunge on Saturday and now have one on pre order with Tower Models. They are unsure of when they will clear customs and are going to give me a call once they have them in stock to arrange delivery. 

Cheers, Ade.

Should sound good with sound!!    Charlie

• Like 1

Just swapped out the decoder for the recommended Lokpilot V5.  The lights all work on functions 1,2 and 5 thru 9.  Tail light, cab light and top lights do not swap with direction, but I guess this makes operation more authentic.

F4 is shunt mode, however I do not know what F3 does.  The UK manual suggest this toggles ‘switching gear’ on and off.  Any ideas what this is? It doesn’t appear to vary lights or running.

With this decoder, the running is smoother than the Bachmann/Soundtraxx one it replaced, not bad value either from DCC Supplies.

N

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Answering my own question, further running clarifies the function question for the Lokpilot V5

F3 does reduce the maximum speed and range (I guess this means high and low gear within the manual).  I have always considered this a shunt mode.

F4 reduces inertia (almost to nothing).

Running is very smooth for both settings, unless you are planning on sound, I would heartily recommend this decoder.

My detailing bits for the under frame arrived, I just need the plasticard and sections to build this up.  Roll on the 12th April (fingers crossed).

image.jpg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Roger, I have one on order here:

https://www.dckits-devideos.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1956

The one you need is the Loksound L @£166.50.

The speaker it is designed for is the "Earth Mover".

Charlie Petty who posted earlier in this thread runs the company.

Not connection here just a previous satisfied customer.

Cheers, Ade.

• RMweb Gold

Out of interest.

Have spoken with John Gymer at Youchoos who is looking into converting the Zimo 21Pin decoder to use with this Heljan railcar.

It will be a lot cheaper than £166 and will have the advantage of having the real preserved AEC NO 22 sound.

Patience may be a virtue................................................................

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Youchoos have published a decoder fitting guide which is very interesting reading:

https://youchoos.co.uk/Index-Resource.php?L1=Guides&Item=OHeljanRailcar

A bit more work to fit cheaper Zimo sound decoder.  I can’t find many suppliers of the Loksound 5 with a GWR railcar sound file.  I am tempted to have a go at the Youchoos option when I get round to purchasing a railcar.

Regards

Simon

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Maybachmd655 said:

Youchoos have published a decoder fitting guide which is very interesting reading:

https://youchoos.co.uk/Index-Resource.php?L1=Guides&Item=OHeljanRailcar

A bit more work to fit cheaper Zimo sound decoder.  I can’t find many suppliers of the Loksound 5 with a GWR railcar sound file.  I am tempted to have a go at the Youchoos option when I get round to purchasing a railcar.

Regards

Simon

Thanks for the headsup on this one Simon.

Looks to be a very straight forward job/project.

Duly ordered.  Will arrive next Wednesday.........

John

It may be because of the way it is being driven on a short length of track and seems to be stuck in first gear.

I just wondered about the function numbers and would prefer them to be sequential.  Thank goodness for the ability to re-map.

• RMweb Gold

Your probably right Norman,

However , in the pursuit of realism I have plumped for a hard wired replacement alternative circuit board ( Zimo Adapus) so that I can take advantage of using the prototype GWR railcar sound file from Youchoos using their Zimo MX645Plux22 21 pin decoder.

This is Heljans excellent circuit board designed for a Locksound V5 decoder.

DSC05969.JPG.45fca2fa19f69f24678bc2682034e20d.JPG

And this is the Zimo Adapus replacement board , rewired by me last evening using Youchoos installation guide.

DSC05973.JPG.6822737370a476f31a364201f3e483b3.JPG

This is the result of my handy work .

Now to fine tune her and gently run her in with gentle use.....

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, norman said:

Hi John

Good choice indeed.  Does the Zimo give you full control of the lights or have you had to double up somewhere?

Yes Norman the Zimo gives full control of lights just as Heljan intended, plus choosing Youchoos immersive drive set up you get much more control including a half power mode on F20 for slow shunting.

John

On 12/03/2021 at 06:57, Adrian Stevenson said:

Hi Roger, I have one on order here:

https://www.dckits-devideos.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1956

The one you need is the Loksound L @£166.50.

The speaker it is designed for is the "Earth Mover".

Charlie Petty who posted earlier in this thread runs the company.

Not connection here just a previous satisfied customer.

Cheers, Ade.

The decoder is a 21Pin loksound V5 (Legomanbiffo Sounds) we offer @110.00

https://www.dckits-devideos.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=228_60&product_id=1956

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/03/2021 at 17:55, neal said:

Answering my own question, further running clarifies the function question for the Lokpilot V5

F3 does reduce the maximum speed and range (I guess this means high and low gear within the manual).  I have always considered this a shunt mode.

F4 reduces inertia (almost to nothing).

Running is very smooth for both settings, unless you are planning on sound, I would heartily recommend this decoder.

My detailing bits for the under frame arrived, I just need the plasticard and sections to build this up.  Roll on the 12th April (fingers crossed).

image.jpg

Managed to bag a pristine copy of the Wild Swan tome on the Railcars (some 36 years old!)  Notably, the images I had been referring to were of No. 18 which was an interim streamlined version uprated to be able to tow a vehicle or two.

The chassis for the later version modelled by Heljan (for numbers 19-34) differs in so far as the diesel engines were offset with drive shafts passing behind the centrally mounted radiators, powering fans either side.  I think I still have the parts to create a representation of this, and having some better imagery of the correct chassis I think I can fill the void between the valances.

Only a couple of days till I can replenish my stock of plastic section and plasticard, then I will see what I can do - thanks richards-books.....

Neal

image.jpg.aa8759d7fb83927e6ebd0db70bdec024.jpg

• Like 3

This is the cassette for the under frame, clearance holes in place. I will need to joggle the main beams over the DCC socket cover.  The bottom ‘chords’ will need support where they angle upwards, and one of these points is over the large ‘cut-out’.

It will be a ‘representation’ but I am having fun getting it to look something like the diagrams and pictures I have.

It’s nice bashing plastic with the SVR Gala railcams on in the background!

60515EAE-1AB5-42DB-A66E-7DC0F00161CE.jpeg.cd597e5778b4d7020919f1f3d471995e.jpeg

N

• Like 2