Heljan GWR Railcar in O?

swiftbeam

On 12/03/2021 at 06:57, Adrian Stevenson said:

Hi Roger, I have one on order here:

https://www.dckits-devideos.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1956

The one you need is the Loksound L @£166.50.

The speaker it is designed for is the "Earth Mover".

Charlie Petty who posted earlier in this thread runs the company.

Not connection here just a previous satisfied customer.

Cheers, Ade.

The Legomanbiffo Version is far cheaper than the price quoted above, see below:

https://www.dckits-devideos.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=228_60&product_id=1956

Charlie

On 12/03/2021 at 08:46, 70E said:

Hi

I've looked at DC kits version, how do you control the 9 function lights? 

Directional lights are on F0 as normal, plus you have F21 to disable the tail lights if required (the disabling action always works on the trailing red lights).

The top headlight is on F24 and reverses automatically with the main head and tail lights.

The cab light is on F19 and reverses automatically with the main head and tail lights. It also turns off automatically when you move off.

Interior lights are on F25.

Any of these can be remapped to lower function keys if required, via simple CV changes.

Hope this helps,

Bif

• Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Quick question to anyone with a Heljan AEC unit.

Has anyone had any problems with its running qualities at all?

Mine arrived this afternoon, and when placed on the track was not very smooth in either direction I removed the gear box plate and checked lubrication, which to be fail did seem minimal.  Once axles, worm and motor shafts etc were very lightly oiled, l placed the model on a rolling road and gave it a 30 min run in both directions at about 40% controller setting.  It this point l tried the model on a 12ft length of track. In one direction the model was reasonable.. ish, however in the opposite direction at low speed the model surged repeatedly. I could not get the model to run smoothly unless it was travelling at higher than normal running speeds.

I suspect l ll been popping it back in the post to the retailer, but l was interested to see if anyone else has had similar problems?

Cheers Bob C

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Blobrick said:

Quick question to anyone with a Heljan AEC unit.

Has anyone had any problems with its running qualities at all?

Mine arrived this afternoon, and when placed on the track was not very smooth in either direction I removed the gear box plate and checked lubrication, which to be fail did seem minimal.  Once axles, worm and motor shafts etc were very lightly oiled, l placed the model on a rolling road and gave it a 30 min run in both directions at about 40% controller setting.  It this point l tried the model on a 12ft length of track. In one direction the model was reasonable.. ish, however in the opposite direction at low speed the model surged repeatedly. I could not get the model to run smoothly unless it was travelling at higher than normal running speeds.

I suspect l ll been popping it back in the post to the retailer, but l was interested to see if anyone else has had similar problems?

Cheers Bob C

Hi Bob,

Mine was the same as yours .  I used a pure DC Helmsman controller.  The oil was`nt even near the gears on mine. I examined both bogies on mine and there seemed to be issues with the wheel tyres rubbing against the plastic bogie side frames .  So I fiddled and managed to unglue a couple of the (fragile) bogie corner assemblies to free things up.  I`m not a believer in running in/ wearing out.

Any how changing over to a quality DCC decoder and cleaning the wheels has improved things  no end on mine.

Still not run in........................

Cheers

John

Edited by ROSSPOP

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, ROSSPOP said:

Hi Bob,

Mine was the same as yours .  I used a pure DC Helmsman controller.  The oil was`nt even near the gears on mine. I examined both bogies on mine and there seemed to be issues with the wheel tyres rubbing against the plastic bogie side frames .  So I fiddled and managed to unglue a couple of the (fragile) bogie corner assemblies to free things up.  I`m not a believer in running in/ wearing out.

Any how changing over to a quality DCC decoder and cleaning the wheels has improved things  no end on mine.

Still not run in........................

Cheers

John

Hi John

Thanks for the info, unfortunately, l an analogue  guy currently, so the DCC route wont help me. However interesting to hear about the rubbing wheel sets, l ll have a quick look in the morning. Also interesting to hear l m not alone with poor running issues. 

Cheers

Bob C

Update

I ve attached a Link to a Youtube video l took this morning showing the issue. I did check the he model over again and can not find anything obvious

Cheers again Bob C 

Edited by Blobrick
Additional info
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...

I recently fitted a Zimo decoder in one for a friend and it runs  very well no surges at all but to be fair it was very good on plain DC also before I fitted the chip.

Norman

Edited by norman
added my name

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

apologies for bouncing the thread 

The offer from Rails was too good to resist so at £295 a carmine and cream one has joined the collection . One buffer compressed in but otherwise all ok . looks lovely and runs well 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just got one from a supplier. It surges when the power bogie is leading, less so when trailing. Power consumption increases by 100mA when it appears to stall and the lights go dim. Discussed it with the supplier and It has been sent straight back. I have asked them to bench test the replacement before they ship it.

Edited by kes
edit

The 48 hour return took 7 days. The replacement arrived with the same fault but to a lesser extent and they had tested it (!). They offered to replace it again. I repaired it myself after reading forum comments. I removed the four screws on the power bogie, cleaned off all the white grease using a sharpened tooth pick to remove the hard grease stuck in the root of the gear teeth. I reapplied new white grease and retested it. It now runs perfectly.I cannot comment further on the sellers. At least I now have a smooth running loco.