Synchronising DMU gear changes on Zimo decoders

Dmudriver

Hi.

On my layout (0 gauge) I run a number of DMUs and a feature of my operations is multi-ing up.

I've got 4 units with Zimo MX645** chips and I am finding they are changing gear at different times.  This is not really a problem when they're running solo but in multiple it's not right.  Is there any way I can synchronise them myself?   They've all got Paul Chetter/Digitrains sound files.

The decoders are as follows:

1)   2 x DMU  EasyDrive v2.0 Twin decoder option  (programmed for me in 2014 or 2015 by Paul Chetter).

2)   1 x 1st generation DMU ActiveDrive 5 functions v18.03 for Classes 101, 108 and 121.

3)   1 x 1st generation DMU ActiveDrive 5 functions v18.03 for Heljan DPUs

4)   1 x 1st generation DMU ActiveDrive 5 functions v18.06 for Classes 101, 108 and 121.

What is happening is that - always using 128 speed steps - 

Chip 1) changes to 2nd gear at speed step 34;

Chips 2) and 4) change to 2nd gear at step 16 and to 3rd gear at step 30;

Chip 3)  changes to 2nd gear at step 31.

Is it possible that I could adjust certain CVs to achieve changes at the same time?  If so, which ones and to what values?

Ideally I would like changes to 2nd gear at step 27, to 3rd gear at step 48 and to 4th gear at step 74.  These are calculated on the basis of scale 70 mph at step 126 and gear changes at 15, 27 and 41 mph.

Any help anyone could give would be really appreciated - in the interests of realistic operation.

Rod

**  I think chips 1) are 645s but I'm not sure, or even whether they have been upgraded since 2014/5.

Rod,

No, unfortunately that's not possible with your existing sound projects.

These were created at different times and were developed to work 'out of the box' in the models for which they were primarily designed. As these models were built to different specifications over time the gear change thresholds fixed in the sound projects at the time were to achieve prototypical road speeds for that particular model in each gear, similar to your proposed scheme.

There is no way to access the threshold values on each decoder other than via a reblow. (There are no CVs available to change these thresholds).

Even if there were, the acceleration transitions are of a fixed duration, but this will be different between individual sound projects and also be dependent upon whether heavy or light modes are in force.

You will recall that when we recorded these sounds, first gear was 'stretched' by the long haul up the grade from LLangollen. The duration would be very different where the movement was on level or down grade track. (that's why the 'light mode' on F5 has a shorter 1st gear duration).

The transitions used in the projects are 'as recorded', not generated by the decoder in real time.

If you do not wish to have the decoders reblown with customised sound projects, a work around would be to speed match your models, ensure all motor parameters are the same in each decoder (The main ones being CVs 3, 4, 5, 6, and 57), also look at start delay CV273, and brake key CV309 and CV349 if active in your projects.

This should get the consisted sets starting, running, and stopping in unison.

Then temporarily turn off the engine sounds (CV376 = 1) for all decoders except for that in a selected unit.  Then only one will produce gear change sounds, all other sounds from other decoders operating according to your controller's consist instructions.

I know that this is not a perfect solution, but it should prevent the sound of multiple gear change events when in consist.

When sets are run independently, changing CV376 to previous value will restore engine sounds.

Best regards,

Paul

Hi Paul.

Thanks for your reply, which has confirmed what I feared might be the case.

I have already synchronised CVs 3,4,5 and 6 in the units and, apart from the gear changes, they run fine in multiple.

I understand your suggested workaround but I think I'm really looking at custom reblows.  Added to which, I've 2 units with earlier Loksound decoders which I'd like to change to Zimos, so I may as well take the plunge and do the lot together!!

So, the next question is, how and/or where can I get custom reblows done?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Rod

My latest heritage DMU sound projects, not yet with Digitrains, already address the problem you have encountered.

Each class uses the same duration sound samples for the transitions so that all else being equal, gear changes occur at the same time.

I have not yet converted all classes to this new format, so it's a work in progress.

If I remember correctly, you also specified a custom set of F key assignments for uniformity. This can be done at the same time.

I've sent you a PM in order to discuss arrangements concerning your specific requirements.

Best regards,

Paul

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 20/08/2020 at 20:22, pauliebanger said:

My latest heritage DMU sound projects, not yet with Digitrains, already address the problem you have encountered.

Hi Paul, just discovered this topic - all my sound locos have the Digitrains Active Drive files and I have a DMU that is next up for treatment....do you know when your updated project will be available?  

Many thanks

• Like 1