Replicating ​​​​​​​"Thomas the Tank Engine & Friends" - The Breakdown Train

TrainMan2001

Hello Everyone! I've been a bit quiet recently, but I have a new project now! I'll be building the Breakdown Train, starting with the Works Unit coach, which featured in Thomas and the Breakdown Train.

Thomasandthe-Breakdown-Train6.png

(Screenshot from TTTE Wikia)

I have begun by drawing out one side and one end of the model, using reference photos taken during the 3rd Series. The model is being made with 1mm thick polystyrene sheet, with 1mm strips being used for the beading, which will placed side by side to the correct thickness: 3mm for most, but 2mm by the windows and blanked windows. 1mm is a bit thick for the beading (it 0.75mm looks better, but it was all my hobby shop had. I have a plan to get it to 0.75mm, however.

I do have to sink the blanked windows in a bit, which I have already done to the smallest window.

20200818-181022.jpg

20200818-205752.jpg

20200820-132604.jpg

I also have been drawing out plans to do models of Thomas and Stepney as well. Thomas might be a side project whenever I have to wait for glue to dry on the coach, but Stepney will probably be a while. I also don't expect that I'll finish these before I leave, but at least they'll be started for my return! I feel like this will be a pretty fun project, overall! It'll be nice to have my own replicas of what I grew up watching on TV!

Thanks for reading!

-TM2001

Edited by TrainMan2001
  • Like 2

Here's the current state of the coach side:

20200827-134159.jpg

I got all of the panelling and beading completed, and filed the windows to be flush with the beading, like in the show. Here's another, slightly earlier picture showing the effect of the beading:

20200826-194040.jpg

I just need to cover some of the window cutouts as per the show's model, and it'll be ready for filling and sanding! Then I'll just need to do it all again, but mirrored!

-TM2001

• Like 2