Converting a controller

heavymetalwagons

• RMweb Gold

In theory I don't see why this wouldn't work assuming the new slide switch is of the same resistance values.

But you are talking about some fairly serious mods here. You might be better off building your own circuit, they are fairly simple to put together. Look for DIY controller on here or YouTube.

5 hours ago, heavymetalwagons said:

Would it be easy to convert a rotory controller to a slide type. Like the old h and m walkabout

Would it just be remove round switch and solder new slide in and put the lot in a new box

Pretty much as long as the rotary knob works a simple potentiometer but why?   Its much easier to mount a rotary pot.  The straight pot will need a straight slot not a simple hole and will be more prone to dirt wet etc ingress.  I would be wary of putting a controller in a new box, I'm pretty relaxed about putting a remote pot from something like an OnTrack in a new housing but not anything mains or with a transistor needing a heat sink.   I much prefer a rotary knob, clockwise for forward, anticlockwise for reverse which I can operate one handed on a remote..

TBH, it's actually much easier to build the operational gubbins of a decent DC controller than it is to package it neatly and professionally. IMHO anyway. 

If you really want a controller that nobody offers commercially, spend the money you'd be paying for the Gaugemaster on Roger Amos's books, box up one of his designs the way you want it, and never pay more than a fiver for a controller again. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, PatB said:

TBH, it's actually much easier to build the operational gubbins of a decent DC controller than it is to package it neatly and professionally. IMHO anyway. 

completely agree - the packaging is the hard work.   

Another option for DIY is one of the numerous PWM speed controller units available cheaply from China (see Ebay, Amazon, etc).   Just check the duty cycle goes down to zero on the specification (otherwise it doesn't slow down all the way to stop!).   Replace potentiometer with chosen type.   

- Nigel

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

The hand held only really needs to contain a potentiometer, or a pot and a reversing switch and be connected to the master unit by 3 wires. Many have transistors, heat sinks etc and a nest of wires which makes them heavy , expensive and damage prone,

I have a hand held made out of a little torch body, just wide enough for 2 X AA batteries side by side, stereo jack socket in one end and a rotary knob wider than the body which I can work one handed.  It just pulls off it's lead when you tread on the lead.  It does rely on being based on a On Track hand held but Morley use the same concept, centre off knob and only 3 wires to the hand held.  (4 pin Dins but only 3 wires one spare pin on OnTrack, two bridged together on Morley) )

My favourite hand held was the Minic motorways reversing hand throttle, 12 volt DC in 12 volt DC out, brilliant for shunting and could be pegged at several different speeds.

You can use a slider pot with a OnTrack (or Morley) but it remains centre off. Work around is a dpdt switch on the outer connections on the pot to provide a reverse and limit the slider travel to half way as in only off to full speed, rather than full speed A-B through off to full speed B-A.

These OnTrack (and Morley) remotes can be operated 20 or more yards from the panel mount controllers. I use stereo jacks,  I have these sockets on a bus so the remotes can be plugged in at a number of different places.    

• Like 1

Thanks guys

Got rogers book 30 years ago. Still dont understand it lol

Been looking at the pwm type like your idea nigel

Also been looking at the helmsman handheld unit. I take it i could use any transformer and connect the helmsman to that? (making show i check first) 

Been looking at the morley but will check ontrack also. Like the idea of multiple socket points 

Edited by heavymetalwagons
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Nigelcliffe said:

completely agree - the packaging is the hard work.   

Another option for DIY is one of the numerous PWM speed controller units available cheaply from China (see Ebay, Amazon, etc).   Just check the duty cycle goes down to zero on the specification (otherwise it doesn't slow down all the way to stop!).   Replace potentiometer with chosen type.   

- Nigel

I can agree with this. I bought 5 pwm controllers from China - £1.97 each !  Really impressed, worked well... Next  order I didn't check they went down to zero.  4.5v was minimum.  DOH !  Waiting for another delivery. As above, two wires in two wires out dpdt centre off added for direction.

Edited by d00m

29 minutes ago, d00m said:

I can agree with this. I bought 5 pwm controllers from China - £1.97 each !  Really impressed, worked well... Next  order I didn't check they went down to zero.  4.5v was minimum.  DOH !  Waiting for another delivery. As above, two wires in two wires out dpdt centre off added for direction.

Can you post a link so I can see what I can look for. I'll just use ebay uk

Thanks