Dapol NEM box

Pagual

I noticed the banana van was today refusing to couple or uncouple. I found no problem with the coupling itself, Kadee, but with the plastic tabs which work as springs to center the NEM box. Is that a known problem with Dapol? Would it be easy to replace the box and its mount with the better Hornby design? Or do I need to find a Dapol replacement and pray it lasts?

• RMweb Gold

I think this is what I call the 'waggler' and it is a delicate thing prone to accidental breakage by being twisted or pulled when you remove the box assembly of which it is a part.  The best way to remove the box from the mount, to which it fits in a dovetail joint, is, with the vehicle upside down, to support the waggler underneath with a suitable item such as a small screwdriver blade that you can gently lever upwards so that it experiences no undue stresses, and when you replace it in the mount, to press downwards on the dovetail part rather than the box, again to protect the waggler.  I do not think that Dapol's wagglers are any better or worse than anyone else's wagglers, and Dap use the same dovetail fitting, though the actual mount is a screw on piece.  

AFAIK Hornby do not sell the mounts separately, or the box/waggler assembly.  Bachmann sell tension lock and other NEM couplings complete with the box/waggler, but availability is sometimes a bit wobbly, and they do not sell the mounts.  You best bet for the mounts are the Peco Parkside PA34 NEM mounting blocks, sold in packs of 10, enough for 5 vehicles.  These are designed to be glued to the floors of Parkside wagon kits, but can be adapted to use on most wagons after the removal of the previous coupling mount, ideal for updating older wagons or Railroad to NEM spec.  You can trim the top of the mounting block or pack it as necessary to attain the correct coupling bar height above the railhead, a very adaptable and useful piece of kit.

Be kind to your wagglers!