Layout Extras Advice

EliteT

Not sure if this is the place or not but here goes!

For a number of years I've have temporary track layouts, setting them up, running locos and rolling stock then breaking it apart and starting again the next day. This was mainly due to a lack of space.

I've been fortunate that some space has become available after some spring cleaning for a small shunting layout; 4' x 1'.

I've seen quite a number of designs and taken inspiration from them.

The layout includes an entrance from a detachable fiddle yard line, a passing loop, three single straight sidings along the near side (sufficient for the wagons and trucks I use), a siding at the very back to store coaches, and a recoaling siding at the left end of the platform.I won't be using on track buffers, I am making some that will sit just at the end to give clearance to the couplings. To clarify, I use the smaller 4 wheel coaches, and the Dapol trucks!

I'm open to any feedback on the layout design, I have done some running on it and it seems to be working fine.

However, I'm more so interested in the extras to add in to the layout. I'm looking to model it as a branchline terminus for a town. I have seen some youtube clips with bits in it, but tbh I wouldn't know where to start or where the best place is to get them. 

I'm thinking the likes of signals, and railway buildings. I have a home build station which I'm happy enough with. Just made out of timber and some toothpicks for a fence.

Even ballasting I wouldn't know what the best size to get is!!

Because its a small layout, I wouldn't mind getting some more advanced type things. I've been looking into point motors, which may come later as given its size is unnecessary rn, but I think there are other accessories that are wired?

Also for uncoupling whats the best way? I've seen people use the uncoupling track and magnets. I used to jsut lift them but it'd be nice to not have to be lifting rolling stock.

I'm so sorry for all the questions! I really do appreciate any feedback or advice.

EliteT

Shunting Layout.png

Edited by EliteT

Honest opinion is that it is over complicated and most of the sidings are not of much use.

I had planned to build a 4ftx400mm layout and made a brief start but gave it up and built a basic oval to actually run my trains on rather than just going backwards and forwards.

However, the track plan might be worth a look for you.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

You have sure very short track sections there! Your 3 sidings will barely hold one wagon each. Coaches are 250mm long so you won't get more than 1 in your coach siding. I'd go for something much simpler....

• RMweb Premium

You mention ballasting, use the finest/smallest grade, as anything else tends to appear over-scale on OO. 

If I've understood right, a train will come from where the red bit is on the left and the platform will be on the line where the pink track is on the right. It's very short, you will only fit a short 0-4-0 loco and a couple of 4-wheel coaches in. The track bottom right is barely long enough to fit a loco in and reverse it into the siding (if that's the coaling siding, then you might as well get rid of the point and just use the straight bit - ask yourself why a railway would put in a siding that needs reversing into from a siding whose only purpose is somewhere to reverse into another siding). 

Depending how realistic you want to be, the platform would normally be on the "straight" route with sidings off the loop.

Putting it at an angle across the board might give you a bit of variety in siding lengths as well as make it look a bit more interesting. If you don't already have the track, try using Y points and R628 curves in places - they are a more gentle radius and look a bit more natural as well as making it easier to avoid all the track parallel to the edge. If you do already have the track, try building it and seeing how it works and what moves you can make. 

I agree with all of the points above, you seem to have an awful lot of track for such a small space and in my opinion, not a lot of operational interest because of the need for very short trains.  It's not a layout that I envisage you having for a long time.  However, I appreciate that you are space constrained and something is better than nothing.  I'd probably treat this a layout on which you are experimenting to gain some skills for a larger layout in the future.

Ballast - I'd use the finest grade you can find.  What's sold as 00 is usually more suited to 0 gauge and what is sold as N gauge is usually more appropriate for 00.  It may also be described as 'Fine'.  Colour is up to you, but should be influenced by where your layout is set, as the ballast would be the colour of the stone from local quarries.

Point motors - I probably wouldn't bother, unless you are using this simply to learn how to fit point motors or to try different types before deciding what to buy in advance of building a bigger layout.  Choice of unit depends on your budget and how much space you have available below the baseboard top (eg Tortoise motors are quite big).  You would normally decide on the motors that you intend to use before laying the track to make the necessary holes through the baseboard.  Retrofitting is not so easy.

Signals - given that I envisage you'll be operating 'one engine in steam' (ie only one locomotive on the layout at a time), you wouldn't need any.  Movements could all be controlled by hand signals.  I'd envisage that there would be another station down the line (ie where your fiddle yard is) and that would be the last block post on your single track line.  The driver in possession of the token from that box would then be able to do whatever you want on your layout without bothering the signalman (ie all points would be operated via a local ground frame, which would be released by the token).  Since the layout isn't particularly prototypical (for example it doesn't have any trap points), it would be difficult to signal properly.  However, if you must have signals, I'd place a starter on the end of your platform for departing trains and a home signal for arriving trains just at the entrance from your fiddle yard.  However, in reality it should be far enough to the left that is should be off the layout.  If you were doing this then you could add a signal box, probably near the entry to the layout.  Choice of supplier depends on whether your looking for semaphore or colour light signals and whether you want them to operate or not as well as your budget.

Uncoupling - I'm assuming that you are using tension lock couplings.  The problem with the Hornby uncouplers that fit between the rails is that they need to be fitted in the middle of a straight (R600) and because your sidings at the front of the layout are so short (ie only able to hold one wagon), you'll probably find that where you place the uncoupler will allow you to uncouple a wagon, but you wont be able to couple up again.  You're probably better fabricating a tool from plastikard or brass that comprises a small flat section to fit under the tails of the tension lock couplings and a handle to hold it.  The alternative is something like a bent paperclip - See https://www.railwaymodellers.com/uncoupler-tool-for-tension-lock-couplings/

You could of course also choose a different type of coupling such as Kadee and using electromagnets but whether it's worth converting your stock depends on your budget and the stock that you have (both with regards quantity and age - ie does it have NEM pockets or is it older stock?).

Hope some of that helps.

• Like 1