Searching for pictures GBRf 66’s and DBC 67’s between Sleaford and Skegness

• RMweb Gold

A totally wild request, I’m trying to find if there’s any pictures of GBRf Class 66’s on possibly infrastructure trains and DBC Class 67’s over the last few years as I have several Bachmann GBRf Class 66’s and a Hornby Class 67.  My layout which I’ve finally started is based on Heckington and the freight has been a mix of DBC Class 66’s and 60’s as well as those from DC Rail. 

I did think about getting another Class 67 and run them as a RHTT train or on it’s own being used for route training.  If anyone has any info, it would be most grateful.

• RMweb Premium

Are class 67s allowed on the line these days? I know one once made it to Skegness in the early - mid 2000s by mistake, the RA being too high for the route at the time. They might have been OK as far as Boston, but the track beyond was in such a poor state, they were barred.

The line was relaid with some secondhand track from mainlines some years ago now, but I don't know if they upped the RA for the route.

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, Davexoc said:

Are class 67s allowed on the line these days? I know one once made it to Skegness in the early - mid 2000s by mistake, the RA being too high for the route at the time. They might have been OK as far as Boston, but the track beyond was in such a poor state, they were barred.

The line was relaid with some secondhand track from mainlines some years ago now, but I don't know if they upped the RA for the route.

I questioned the idea about Class 67’s as being too heavy but as DBC and DC Rail use Class 60’s for heavy steel and aggregate trains, I’m sure they would be cleared as far as Boston?  I’ve seen video clips of DBC Class 66’s on infrastructure trains and hoping GBRf might done several as well.

GBRF 66s have worked to Boston, there's an intermittent service to a sort of stone terminal on the old goods yard, it's simply a grab unloading the wagons and several piles of different aggregate. When they first started there was a GB 66 at the head of the train being unloaded.

If anything the track beyond Boston is now in a better state than between Grantham and Boston, most of which is still 50mph limited and several sections of bullhead rail in 30ft lengths.

Boston to Skegness is almost totally CWR and 60mph.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, great central said:

GBRF 66s have worked to Boston, there's an intermittent service to a sort of stone terminal on the old goods yard, it's simply a grab unloading the wagons and several piles of different aggregate. When they first started there was a GB 66 at the head of the train being unloaded.

If anything the track beyond Boston is now in a better state than between Grantham and Boston, most of which is still 50mph limited and several sections of bullhead rail in 30ft lengths.

Boston to Skegness is almost totally CWR and 60mph.

The track between Boston and Sleaford is 60 mph (although 35 / 40 for freight), Sleaford to Allington 50 mph (35 / 40) but alot of the track between Sleaford and Allington is now CWR and probably fit for higher speeds but I guess the signalling would need repositioning first ?. Just as between Boston and Firsby since the track was relaid to permit HST`s to run at line speed (60 mph) the track is fit for 75 mph but again the signalling needs re sighting.

Edited by class26
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, great central said:

Has that now been taken over by DC Rail, using their Class 60’s?  If it is, does anyone know when GBRf lost the contract?

• RMweb Gold

I’m a happy bunny now, like a dog with two tails :D, just found a picture of GBRf 66775 at Boston yard on the 19th June 2018 with a Bardon Hill - Boston stone train.  The only thing I couldn’t see was the wagons but I’ve got a good suspicion there the grey JNA EALNOS wagons.  Has anyone got information on other GBRf locomotives that worked this train?

Edited by jools1959

On 24/08/2020 at 08:05, class26 said:

The track between Boston and Sleaford is 60 mph (although 35 / 40 for freight), Sleaford to Allington 50 mph (35 / 40) but alot of the track between Sleaford and Allington is now CWR and probably fit for higher speeds but I guess the signalling would need repositioning first ?. Just as between Boston and Firsby since the track was relaid to permit HST`s to run at line speed (60 mph) the track is fit for 75 mph but again the signalling needs re sighting.

I reckon the track between Boston and Allington is around 50/50 jointed and CWR, quite a few of the worst lengths have been replaced fairly recently but there's still a lot to do.

Slightly oddly, Firsby curve is laid with jointed track, also now painted white against heat build up.

• Like 1