DJM J94 additional weight.

Good Morning.

I though it best to put this in the questions section as I don't want to resurrected anything in the DJ Models parts of the forum.

has anyone added any additional weight to their J94? There appears to be enough space inside the tanks under the dcc interface to add some.

does adding weight make any difference to its running and haulage capacity?

I am considering adding weight to help haulage as my example will only manage 3 Bachmann mk1's on level track work, add a fourth and it slips to a stand. my example has the running number of 68061.

if it proves fruitless I fear I may have to trade it in and obtain a different tank loco.

regards

Dan

Edited by Dan Griffin
spelling error

Adding weight to a total adhesion model should increase traction directly proportional to the weight increase, but there are caveats to be aware of.

The motor and mechanism have to be robust enough: such that the loco still starts from dead slow, and will still slip its wheels if held back; and the driveline construction isn't going to be damaged by the increased load (split chassis models are definitely problematic in this last respect).

Weight should be distributed to keep the centre of gravity on longitudinal centreline and as near the mid point of the coupled wheelbase as possible.

Alternative solutions.

How free rolling are the vehicles? 3 Bachmann mk1s is no load at all. These coaches should roll away if placed on a  true 1 in 100, and considerably better than that is possible with some accrued running time.

The RTR alternative is the Hornby ex-Dapol model. My sole J94 dates from long before the DJM model, is weighted to 220g/8oz and will exert 32 g force; easily enough for a dozen coaches or 60 wagons.

• 1 month later...