GWR Dean/Churchward (DC1) brake gear etch

I'm looking for an etch for 4mm DCI brake gear, including the swan neck lever. I see that Bill Bedford used to do one, but I've only been able to locate the DCIII version (at Eileen's Emporium). No sign of DCI components on the web. Am I missing something? 

Thanks,

Tim.

Edited by t.s.meese
typo

7 minutes ago, mike morley said:

Asked the question of Eileens a couple of months ago.  4mm version no longer produced for "technical reasons" of unstated nature.

Thanks for the update - I wondered if that might be so!

And I'm guessing that nobody but Bedford did one, yes?

A couple of months ago I found a very nicely cast but rather delicate whitemetal one lurking in the  bottom of my gloat box.  I don't remember buying it and can only guess it came from ABS, so as difficult to acquire now as the Bill Bedford etched version. I'm afraid.

• Like 1

Psst. That's locos.   :)

He sells the Bedford DCIII etch and this. 

https://www.wizardmodels.ltd/shop/wagons/mt236/

I think the main thing people are looking for is the "swan necks" as the Coopercraft kits didn't have them for some strange reason and they are pretty prominent.

http://www.gwr.org.uk/nowagonbrakes.html

Jason

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Psst. That's locos.   :)

He sells the Bedford DCIII etch and this. 

https://www.wizardmodels.ltd/shop/wagons/mt236/

I think the main thing people are looking for is the "swan necks" as the Coopercraft kits didn't have them for some strange reason and they are pretty prominent.

http://www.gwr.org.uk/nowagonbrakes.html

Jason

Ha ha sorry I just assumed (wrongly)  :)

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, mike morley said:

Asked the question of Eileens a couple of months ago.  4mm version no longer produced for "technical reasons" of unstated nature.

There was discussion on this not so long ago. The "technical reason" is that the etch is dimensionally incorrect - as @Mikkel discovered.

As an 00 bodger, I've faked the DC1 gear:

• Informative/Useful 1

For the record - I bodged it using an etched brake lever (positioned from the V-hanger then behind the W-iron, as for the swan-neck), half a brake wheel and a bit of brass linkage, all cut and bent to length. I did this without looking at photo sources (which I have) so as not to upset myself too much. The end result looks passable, in the sense that the little people now have a way of apply the brake.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Excuse the cross-post, as the question of GWR DC1 brakes in 4mm has popped up on two different RMWeb threads in close succession.

In talking about the DC1 set up, and the swan-neck lever in particular, I believe that this is what is intended:

1477065481_GWRDC1braketestbuild(10).JPG.338ddebfa4dca3d2ecf4b83abeaf2f7d.JPG

The w-irons are from the Scalefour Society, the brake vee is a spare D&S one, and the brake gear is an old 9ft casting - ABS I think.  The nickel silver operating mechanism is an etch that I drew up at the start of lockdown, based on GWR General Arrangement drawings:

2033709685_DC1brakelevertestetch.JPG.496a0396a2d9bc63492cb9d25d4fecc0.JPG

I had a few etched when business at the etchers that I use resumed, as a test on the edge of something else.  Having now built one, I can see that they all work properly.  The next step will be to draw up the other parts that I've used from other sources as part of the same artwork, and have it all etched as a single set.

A couple more pictures to show how it fits together, starting with those fiddly brake lever handles:

254127143_GWRDC1braketestbuild(2).JPG.dee45c926efc9ed4239030f7bca70f3c.JPG

During the build process, the swan-neck fitting behind the axleguard:

1260079911_GWRDC1braketestbuild(7).JPG.333a283d42521fdf41e21ca7ffe9ada9.JPG

And the full layout of the rods underneath.  The centre one is still overlength, as I need to knock up one of the vertical support straps and fix that before I cut it back to length:

1324296205_GWRDC1braketestbuild(9).JPG.0ec7950a5931fafffb01dedd40f092b1.JPG

I'll post more of an update when I've designed and tested the other bits, as I need quite a supply of these for my own modelling of the GWR in 1909.  I have quite a number of Coopercraft and Ratio kits for them to go under.

Cheers

Paul

• Like 5

• 3 months later...
On 19/10/2020 at 21:11, Flymo749 said:

Excuse the cross-post, as the question of GWR DC1 brakes in 4mm has popped up on two different RMWeb threads in close succession.

In talking about the DC1 set up, and the swan-neck lever in particular, I believe that this is what is intended:

1477065481_GWRDC1braketestbuild(10).JPG.338ddebfa4dca3d2ecf4b83abeaf2f7d.JPG

2033709685_DC1brakelevertestetch.JPG.496a0396a2d9bc63492cb9d25d4fecc0.JPG

I'll post more of an update when I've designed and tested the other bits, as I need quite a supply of these for my own modelling of the GWR in 1909.  I have quite a number of Coopercraft and Ratio kits for them to go under.

Cheers

Paul

Did these ever become available?

cheers

tim.