RENFE HO Valle de Marte

Lovemymodelling

I’m making early stages into my 12x12 HO RENFE layout “Valle de Marte” early stages at the moment, an 8 track storage yard and a small station to be served by Cercanias commuter and Inter Regionales EMU sets with possibly a bay platform with an obviously unlinked track along the outer edge into France to be worked by an SNCF Z2 EMU and a 3 car RRR push pull set, the main line will also have some RENFE freight, with one serving a grain silos. and  a couple of loco and coach sets, no Talgos I’m not a fan of the Talgo sets or high speed units, my period will be 1995-2005 in the late era of Danone livery coaches and Taxi liveried locos.
Like the UK modelling scene there are several small artisan companies making everyone from signals , laser cut buildings and overhead catenary (I did read on a post a few years ago on here that’ there’s very little in Spain don’t know where he’s been looking)  So I will be doing some planning next few weeks and will show some of the unusual stock that I have for on the layout.

Edited by Lovemymodelling
  • Like 6

A nice arrival today for the layout, I’ve already got the standard commuter Cercanias Red grey and white 3 car class 440 EMU , a pretty nice model and well detailed considering over 10yrs old now, I don’t think that electrotren have done another production run of this livery on the early 440 since this model, so in Spain they are sought after, I also have for the layout  the later design  3 car 470 in interegionales orange and white, based on the 440 Sets but slightly modernised with  bonded windows, these tended to be used on longer distance services sometimes coupled in multiple in pre AVE days, prior to the 470 Interegionales there was a small class of older class 440 units but with better seating than those employed on Cercanias services, I still think they were used on too Lon FB a journey (Miranda Del Ebro-Madrid, 200 miles) these  have been in a three colour schemes , two are the original Interegionales both being orange and white , both have been made by electrotren and both weren’t on the general sales market, the first offering was 3604 just available in 2009 via Club Electrotren this was a 2 car unit in white with orange cab ends , difficult to find now, the second as pictured here even harder the find  was the other Interegionales early livery only available from a Spanish toy and hobby retailer “Poly” (I don’t think they do trains anymore) this has catalogue 3606 and is as seen white with an orange band with the IR logo, and a full 3 car unit. Lastly we have the last and current livery not many early 440 we’re in this IR variant but I have seen a photo of 440-127 in this scheme as yet to be produced in

model form.

6727BC38-7E77-4ED2-ADC2-7CB13E28CA77.jpeg

• Like 5

I'm looking forward to following your progress.......my HO Renfe is still a few years away - once my son leaves home....in the meantime I have a growing collection of Era Vc stock much like yourself. I met my Valencian wife in 1999 and first visited Spain in 2000 so that's my chosen period. There's lots of Danone and Taxi's in my collection.

I have one of the 470 EMUs and agree its a lovely model. I actually had to get the AC version and convert it. I did a short write up on the Hornby forum which might be of interest.

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/forum/Hornby-intl-ac-to-dc-conversion/?p=1

Given the lack of availability of Electrotren models I would certainly consider buying AC again and converting if the wheel sets were available. I will say that the 470 is a lot easier to couple than either my 592s or 594 sets. I'm looking forward to the 596 type being released later this year and plan on a couple of them. 

In the meantime, I have built a station based on Sagunto and plan on a few more buildings in the future so when I get to track laying the scenery is ready!

• Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, ellocoloco said:

I'm looking forward to following your progress.......my HO Renfe is still a few years away - once my son leaves home....in the meantime I have a growing collection of Era Vc stock much like yourself. I met my Valencian wife in 1999 and first visited Spain in 2000 so that's my chosen period. There's lots of Danone and Taxi's in my collection.

I have one of the 470 EMUs and agree its a lovely model. I actually had to get the AC version and convert it. I did a short write up on the Hornby forum which might be of interest.

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/forum/Hornby-intl-ac-to-dc-conversion/?p=1

Given the lack of availability of Electrotren models I would certainly consider buying AC again and converting if the wheel sets were available. I will say that the 470 is a lot easier to couple than either my 592s or 594 sets. I'm looking forward to the 596 type being released later this year and plan on a couple of them. 

In the meantime, I have built a station based on Sagunto and plan on a few more buildings in the future so when I get to track laying the scenery is ready!

When I was in Spain when the Roco 319 became available there was a shortage of the D.C. models and one online shop think was Trenelectrico  was offering A.C. Models that had been converted, I’ve got one 596 on order I’ve  seen them many times in Canfranc, I was pleased with the price of this on the Hornby web page shop so ordered it direct. I would like the 592 in the “electrotren  club”  Danone colours but  very difficult to find, thanks for the comments some more additions this week,

• Thanks 1

Today I thought I’d show some of my domestic coaching stock, part of the reason I decided on Spain was you can prototypically operate some 2/3/4 length long distance loco hauled trains that operated in my modelling period, I have a large collection of HO US items but difficult to model a main line Q train in HO or even Z so it looks like a small shelf switching layout for those models.

Roco introduced the full length type  9000 coaches about 10 years ago, these domestic coaches (not sure if they ran over CP) are similar to Eurofima and Corail but have smaller windows, they have been offered in several RENFE liveries but for my period I have Danone blue and white, I’ve 2 rakes of them

one of 5 coaches 

1/1/restaurant/2/2

And one of just 3 coaches 

1/2 cafe/2

The models have nicely detailed interiors with prototypically correct red seats for 1st and blue for 2nd. The cafe car has correct windows as does the one side of the restaurant car where the kitchen area is located, altogether nice coaches, I did miss out on the electrotren Danone type 8000 coaches and look about for some of these but again a small production run a couple of  years ago and are sold out. I would be interested if Electrotren release this type 8000 in orange and white Interegionales livery , they have offered as new green, Estrella brown and beige and Danone , I’m not sure as to the origins of the moulds of these, Lima and Rivarossi both had them in their respective ranges, in my opinion the Rivarossi being a far superior product.
I’m not a fan of the Talgo trains ok they were innovative and a scale length can be operated but I prefer bogie coaches.

9F98F812-3AA6-4FA7-9B73-C5823DD2AEA7.jpeg

4EF35FBD-BE57-4B61-9708-A4C28DB4CF11.jpeg

5775EA08-C4B6-4169-9086-54F9E75F101F.jpeg

Edited by Lovemymodelling
  • Like 2

Are your GL Danone coaches from the first release - 64530/1/2/3/5/6 or the later ones 64594/5/6/7? I am interested if you have coaches from each batch if they are the same colours. (I have seven coaches also, all from the first release with two of 64531 and had considered adding to them with the newer versions.)

I have read reports on Forotrenes that 319.319.0 has a different shade of blue to the earlier releases of 319.306.7 & 319.316.6 and was looking for confirmation if this was true for the coaches. I would like some more, but would like them to match my existing rake.

Your right about the prototypical short trains - and sometimes only one coach is needed! I intend to get a Talgo set at some point, but so far I haven't found a GL set when I've had the funds......so something else has been acquired! I would expect Hornby to release one again over the next few years as the last Danone GL release was around 15 years ago......

There is this YouTube video comparing the 2 different GL 319 You can see the different shades of blue and also the grey on this video , also other details like drivers green sun shades.

The 9000 I have are all these numbers

1cl- 64594

2cl- 64595

Restaurant - 64608

The restaurant has the older motif on the coach and  the blue is the is very slightly a darker colour very hardly noticeable if a real coach it would just look a fresh paint l,  my 319 I have is Roco 63445 (309-306-7) I will take a look tomorrow and see how the blue looks against them type 9000.

I had a good look around on eBay yesterday and found a 1cl and 2cl electrotren 8000 so very pleased with them I would like another 2 but very difficult to find, I hope electrotren make these in IR with orange bands next year, I don’t know what to use maybe a taxi 333 or 319 with these 2 I also see that the Correros red coaches have been released this week, but spend enough money this summer!

image.jpg

• Thanks 1

I have seen Francisco's video regarding the 319.3s and was curious about the coaches.

Next time I'm over in Spain and try and pick some up. I think I still have plenty of time before I'll have a chance to actually lay permanent track so I've plenty of time to collect more stock.....

The 2nd class (no cafe) are getting more difficult to find now, Scograil have some of the cafe cars for £29.

How many different 319 are there? I’m sure I had one once of the first issue with white number and also another one with smooth body sides? I had a large collection of 319 about 12 years ago but sold them when I moved to a smaller house, I had all the 319/2/3/4 in taxi and the retales in estrella and taxi now I’ve just the taxi one. 

Its a shame you got rid of the 319s. They really are exceptional models and along with the Electrotren 269 they really brought Spanish railway modelling out of the stone age.

I really do love the Taxi livery - reminds me of Large Logo BR Blue - and can't get enough of it......must build a layout soon!

EMD Fleet.JPG

Fleet.JPG

Really like your Mehano 333 they are difficult to find, I’ve only seen one at £160 used in Taxi I’ve seen some strawberry train ones cheaper.

Ive 2 319 so far, my Grandes Lineas and my Taxi retales, I might add one next week as a local shop to me has some “new”’old product for £99 so may get one. Do you know what Roco 319 has the different sides or white numbers? 
I think Spain and the U.K. were both behind with detail on models at the same time, the Spanish market and U.K. are very similar a couple of main manufacturers then several smaller makers like Mabar Star train etc, I have been modelling HO RENFE for nearly 20 years just never got around to a layout, I did have a small artisan resin model company making model buses and I did manufacture a 1980/90 HO Pegaso citybus and mabar sold them for me, I still have the master now and may do another run. 

• Like 1

I've never found out what 319s had the white numbers and why or when the change to display the full number rather than just the sub-series number took place. https://www.listadotren.es/ has been my main source of information over the years as well as picking up copies of Maquetren or TrenMania when in Spain.

My most valuable resource is a copy of TrenMania Special #2, Parque Motor Renfe. I think its from 2003 and I reckon if its in there, its suitable for my era!

All three of my 333s were mail order from Spain. One new from Rocafort and two from eBay.es. I never got round to getting the Roco 333. Never liked the look of it.

Next will be the new 596 DMU. It'll be interesting to see what the working couplings are like and how a 'hobby' model is but I recently got the Hornby NHS 66 and I'm well impressed with its operation!