Matloughe's 7mm Bodging

Matloughe

Hello all!

I hope all are well? I have decided to take the plunge; i am selling off the majority of my 4mm stock and items as it no-longer holds my interest (apart from a small number of items that are special to myself) and I am going to embark upon a 7mm scale project.
I have been dabbling in 7mm since about 2012 on & off and acquiring stock & items when on special prices with a view to completing a layout 'at some point' or 'in the near future' well now that time has come; during the pandemic I had converted my Garage/layout room into a home office and the layout was stored. Then I was furloughed and on my first day of furlough I was told that my services were no-longer required and work finished there & then. 
After a week or so I finally ventured back into the garage to put the office stuff away and tidy up with setting the layout up and it was at this point I dropped the layout and caused damage to the scenery and electrics in a fit of frustration I finally decided that enough was enough and I was switching to O Gauge - and this brings us to today neatly.

So having found alternative employment I am now looking at starting the O Gauge project; I am planning to utilise my existing boards which consist of three 3' 6" x 1" boards arranged end to end to give me an overall length of 10' 6", with a 7' scenic section currently - its ironic as the boards were built for an O Gauge project and ended up with 00 on them for speed/expediency in 2013!!

I am slightly torn between two plans either an extended version of Halstead that fitted in 5' x 1' or the second plan which has really caught my attention was in Railway Modeller in May of Trevarno Station on the Helston Railway. Frustratingly I have a Linux computer and it just does not want to play ball game with AnyRail for track planning so I have currently been on the floor with a roll of lining paper and compasses and pencils trying to plan both plans out for what I want in the limited operational area - I am also trying to figure out if I can fit a run-around loop in the width available in a freelance light railway BLT as a third option.

Layout-wise I am very much a novice, I am aiming for an LBSCR/Southern Railway flavour possibly as a light railway or even a preserved line - I just want to enjoy the modelling experience rather than focus too heavily on historical accuracy with this layout as I want it to act as a lead into another perhaps larger project further down the line (if you'll pardon the pun). I'm not adverse to constructing new boards for the layout and having a more expansive project - but I have limited funds if I buy new wood for boards I wont have anything up & running anytime soon. I understand that 2' wide is a better option for 7mm rather than trying to cram stuff in.

Stock-wise I have three locos, an exLima BR Blue Shunter with wheels that don't like Peco point frogs. And Ixion Hudswell Clarke and most recently a Dapol A1 Terrier "Fenchurch" I have a smattering of kit-built wagons built and several yards of track and peco points.

Sorry for no photos or anything exciting but I am just in the preliminary stages of designing. And am trying to hone in on what is best to do within my budget available.

Anyway enough rambling, I hope everyone is well, stay safe and keep modelling!

Gary

Edited by Matloughe
  • Like 10

I made the leap and conversion to 0 about 4 years a go.  All Dapol's fault of course.  My 00 stock has all gone too, I haven't the time (despite being retired), energy or resources to keep two scales going.

I think my advice would be to assess the availability of stock before deciding on an era and region.  RTR wagon wise, there are some good offerings but limited choice if you want anything more than PO wagons.  For RTR locos, Dapol's are excellent and very reasonably priced.  However there isn't a lot of choice.  Minerva locos are also excellent but with a focus on GWR and some duplication with Dapol.  Heljan's steam locos seem to be all GWR, but there are some useful diesels.  Heljan's prices seem high to me but they do come on sale from time to time.

If you are up to it, there are a great many many kit wagons, coaches and locos to be found.  I've built a lot of wagons, for myself and friends - too many really I suppose.

Happy 0 gauge modelling.

John

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Matloughe said:

Stock-wise I have three locos, an exLima BR Blue Shunter with wheels that don't like Peco point

Hi Gary, regarding your Lima shunter, I have two and am having similar problems. When I brought it up on the GOG forum it was suggested that I widen the wheel back to backs slightly, but not on the gear side as it will cause the gears to stop meshing, I haven't tried it yet as I'm in the middle of a huge reshape of my modelling shed, ie, a new one.

Cheers, Pete.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your kind comments! I have been enjoying the journey so far; I really have enjoyed the tinkering - when the little ones have gone to bed I can get out the lining paper and draw the plan at full-size to get a feel for what will fit in the area - but its time consuming!

35 minutes ago, [email protected]()1989))(( said:

Hi Gary, regarding your Lima shunter, I have two and am having similar problems. When I brought it up on the GOG forum it was suggested that I widen the wheel back to backs slightly, but not on the gear side as it will cause the gears to stop meshing, I haven't tried it yet as I'm in the middle of a huge reshape of my modelling shed, ie, a new one.

Cheers, Pete.

Thanks for the heads-up Pete! I will have a look at it; I was thinking of possibly replacing the body on the Lima chassis with something else - like the Skytrex Y6 tram body perhaps if I can sort out the running problems. I have ordered from 422 Modelling a LC&DR brake third body to replace a rather battered GWR Toad I bought second had a couple of years back that has rubbish bodywork but a good chassis as a quick & easy carriage for under £20. It'll be a good basis for starting with at the very least.

Kind Regards,

Gary

1 hour ago, jcarta said:

I wish somebody had told me that it's addictive..... several years ago.......:jester:

Well, I have found wagon kit  building to be addictive.  I told myself when I started that I would only build the stock I actually needed.  Didn't take long for that to go out the window.  :pleasantry:

John

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Hello Gary,

Fair play to you for switching to 0 it can be both the cheapest of the smaller scales being easier to make stuff and at the same time to most expensive if you buy everything.

You might be interested in the PDF's I have authored; wagons from card, locos from card, make your own points to your own radii and make your own controller. The last two assume that you have never filed or soldered anything and you know nothing about electronics.

Another problem especially if you like slow running and shunting is the boring track plan, doodling plans on bits of paper and then  working out the movements in your head is a good way to start. Once you find something where you can't see an end to them then you're onto something worthwhile.

I see that you say you'd like a run around, this can be accomplished easily with a traverser, or even two traversers;
MaltbyTP_750.jpg.8c94756aed39c3f37e06a0c90de72536.jpg

Card loco and wagons;
MaltbyWithY7etc_640.jpg.d491b1df5bc04485d230e5d12ac8460e.jpg

For the cost of one bought point I can make a whole layouts worth of proper light railway stuff.

I'm a cheapskate, skinflint old geezer :-)

Cheers - Jim

• Like 8
  • Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi,

I am also being lured into O gauge and I have a similar length available as you - but I can go to 2' wide.

I need to clear some space, and probably sell some stuff, before I start for real but I'll be interested to follow your journey as well.

all the best,

James

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thanks @jamest - nice to know it isn't just me!

I've been working nights quite a lot and consequently not really been up for doing much. My doctor has signed me off due to having an injury on both knees so I have been having my thoughts turn to making some sort of layout/diorama. I've found looking on a well known-auction site a supplier who sells A3 sized diorama baseboard kits and I've bought two of them at a very good price - I am not quite sure if I should use one of them and a fiddlestick to produce a micro or even perhaps join the two of them end to end to produce a micro that is going to be almost 3x1 in size again with a fiddlestick.

The idea is to just get on and do something rather then talk/plan without actually getting anywhere.

Lets face it with lockdown 2.0 and being signed off... what else can I do - I've already got several yards of track and rolling stock/locos, wiring switches only thing I appear to be missing is solder and flux :-D

If/when there is some progress I'll pop it up on here. Thank you all for your kind comments.
Kind Regards,

Gary

• Like 3

• 10 months later...

Good Morning Terry,

There hasn't been much further progress - I have bought a few items for the layout such as a LB&SCR buffer stop and I have been looking at some laser cut low relief warehouse units from a certain online marketplace to use as a backdrop - but aside from that as strange as it sounds I haven't had the time to dig it out of the garage to make some more progress really. 

Reading back the thread I find it crazy i started this in 2020; since then I lost my full-time job then worked part time in two different supermarkets on night shift and finally in January 2021 i got a much better job in the education sector. 

I have got some ideas in the pipeline however so fingers crossed I might be able to make some progress over the darker winter months. At the moment I have diverted my attention to a small 4mm layout literally on a shelf for a 'quick & dirty' project. After that i'll probably look more seriously back in 7mm.

I do have my eye on a lovely laser cut kit of an LBSCR Signal box... I just need a layout to put it on first!!

Kind Regards,

Gary

Hello Gary.  Thanks for your reply. I think that completing a small 'plank' project will be good for the 'mojo'.  It's always nice to complete a project.  My plank Poppy Lane (link below) was just such a project.  It also had the added bonus of appearing in the Railway Modeller, the fees providing funds for more modelling projects.

Best wishes,

Terry