LNER/BR B17 Class - Wheels info

Staffordshire

LNER/BR B17 Class - Wheels info 

I am trying to discover the wheels dimensions etc for the LNER/BR B17 Class ....

Need to know size, number of spokes etc etc   for both Loco and Tender ?

I think the Driving wheel size is 6' 8", with 20 spokes -   Is this correct ?

Leading wheel size is 3' 2"  ??    How many spokes ?

Tender wheel  size is ............ ??

Lastly, which Manufacturer makes the equivalent 4mm scale wheels ? 

Many thanks,  Ian

• RMweb Premium

The Sharman reference is right for the loco but tender wheels vary, I'm not sure about the GE style ones for the Sandringhams but most of the GS tenders for the Footballers had disc wheels. I think one B17 may have had a bogie with 10 spoke wheels but I don't know which one.

7 minutes ago, Staffordshire said:

To All,

Thank you very much for the info, the one I intend to build is 'Essex Regiment',  so disc  

tender wheels it is !

Thanks again.

Ian 

Actually looking at a couple of photos on the web ...  I am not sure about disc wheels for the tender ??   Can anyone confirm for this engine, 61658

Cheers, Ian

Just now, Staffordshire said:

the one I intend to build is 'Essex Regiment',  so disc  

tender wheels it is !

2858 got a GE pattern tender when it was renamed.  As far as I'm aware, all these had spoked wheels.  This is certainly the case in the photo of 61658 on p22 of Yeadon's Register Vol 5.

3 minutes ago, Darryl Tooley said:

2858 got a GE pattern tender when it was renamed.  As far as I'm aware, all these had spoked wheels.  This is certainly the case in the photo of 61658 on p22 of Yeadon's Register Vol 5.

Is there a year to that photo  by any chance ?  What Livery ?

Cheers, Ian

3 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

Smaller is OK, all wheel tyres get turned down during their lives - up to about 2" off the diameter.

Yes and no .......... I've had ( pony truck ) wheels for a Southern loco nominally 1'' undersized because the correct size / spoke combination's not available - but which measure about 2'' under that - yet still have conspicuously full depth tyres. Fortunately the nominally 1'' oversize wheel's available with the correct spokes - and measures out exactly right.

17 hours ago, Darryl Tooley said:

Just remember that as far as the railway was concerned, the factors that mattered were the diameter and bearing journal size and centres (which in turn relate to the load capacity of the wheelset). Whether the centre was spoked or sold was technically irrelevant and even tenders with mixed sets are not at all unknown. 

Jim

• Agree 1

Good evening Staffordshire, the nearest match in 4mm would be the 'Ultrascale' 12 spoke 3' 2" job. An inch too high I know but as the B17 was a Darlington built locomotive just like the D49 and it shared the same casting as the D49 bogie wheel centre. Both being built around the same period. Later Darlington built LNE classes resorted to the standard Doncaster 10 spoke 3' 2" bogie wheels. Driving wheels for the B17 are 18 spoke Doncaster standard. Ultrascale produce both these wheels but you need to plan ahead. The waiting time is 'Mummyfing' but worth it in the long run. And it is a long run! Regards. HL.   

Image035_34A.jpg

Edited by harry lamb
correction.