Motor/gearbox for djh

Robed

I have some slightly smaller DJH tender locos in the to build pile. Cannot thing of a better make of gearbox to use. As for which one to use in one way its a personal choice but on the other hand iy will depend on which wheel is going to be driven / what needs to be avoided / final position of the motor. Though space between the mainframes may come into the calculations.

I tend to settle on RoadRunners or RoadRunner +, The LoadHauler range may also be of interest. I also like Chris' Coreless motors which work very well, especially when yo look at the prices the last few Mashima's are fetching 

• RMweb Premium

Make sure the motor you use is slim enough to pass up through the narrow waisted firebox. When I built one to P4 some time back - decades actually! - I stuffed a Mashima 16x30 in the tender with an underfloor shaft to the loco to give it a decent haulage level.

Izzy

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes, but pretty unbeatable in terms of bottom end grunt with ‘average’ 40-1 reductions. I often worry about the use of undersized motors with these kind of reductions today. Okay if used with PWM and/or DCC these days although they might suffer a bit, but higher reductions I.e. 60-80-1 are usually viewed as being too slow at top whack for many.

Izzy

4 hours ago, 5050 said:

I've still got the Mashima 1830 I bought years ago for a tender powered 9F I was planning. Much to big for anything I tend to build these days!

But never say never..........:imsohappy:

Keep it for a couple more years as they are still quite common, but as time goes by they will increase in value

That reminds me. I have a lovely Sagami 2236 that's supposed to be going in the tender of an old tender-drive Hornby Duchess. But it won't be driving the tender wheels. It will drive the first and third driven axles in the locomotive. The loco body will be full of lead and the coupling rods will just be along for the ride :)

6 hours ago, AndyID said:

That reminds me. I have a lovely Sagami 2236 that's supposed to be going in the tender of an old tender-drive Hornby Duchess. But it won't be driving the tender wheels. It will drive the first and third driven axles in the locomotive. The loco body will be full of lead and the coupling rods will just be along for the ride :)

Andy

That's fine for those who have engineering skills, but us mere mortals have to rely on others to design and make the components

As for universal joints, I bought an Exactoscale kit but it was nearly as stiff as a metal rod, I do have a couple of old ERG ones though

7 hours ago, hayfield said:

Andy

That's fine for those who have engineering skills, but us mere mortals have to rely on others to design and make the components

As for universal joints, I bought an Exactoscale kit but it was nearly as stiff as a metal rod, I do have a couple of old ERG ones though

Hi John,

Universals are easy. Two concentric square brass tubes (or hex if you can find any) and some silicone model aircraft fuel line tube.

I'll post a pic later.

A

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

But why the thought of powering the tender when it will fit in the firebox and a fully concealed gear train can be taken down through the ashpan to the fourth axle?

No fully concealed gear trains back in those days!  Long before Bachmann 9F appeared, I was going to use a Kitmaster one.  It was going to be an exercise in 'engineering' with Ultrascale bevel gears (still got them), step-down geartrains etc. etc.   Finally decided it was going to be to much of a faff so I built a Pannier tank instead........

5 minutes ago, hayfield said:

Andy

What about the big hole in the tender front ?

Like the filing jig though

There's already one there for the coal.  (You just need to take the doors off.) In practice it's not very obvious and if anyone objects you tell them the whole thing an automatic stoker :)

The difference in performance with a large diameter, low-speed motor is truly amazing. That Black Five is absolutely relentless and almost silent. I must get moving and finish Duchess Of Atholl.