Motor/gearbox for djh

Robed

32 minutes ago, hayfield said:

How much lead does a loco need ?

I have a Mainline plastic loco on a High Level etched chassis (CSP) and it runs like a treat and the sides of the panniers still have plenty of room for some extra ballast

I can tell you remain unconvinced :)   I'll post a video of Ms Atholl if and when I complete it and you'll be able to compare and contrast.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, roythebus said:

I've got a K's black 5 with Kean Portescap motor and gears, that'll pull anything!

K's kits certainly were were pretty "chunky" so I'm sure the traction is quite adequate.

To move the argument from the subjective to something a bit more objective we might want to use something like this.

Pull1.JPG.1b08256d5e53332f303552d3d4475ab1.JPG

I'll rig up something for Ms Atholl (if I ever get it done) and post some numbers.

Incidentally, that idea comes from an article in Railway Modeller about 60 years ago. It was used to measure the effectiveness of pin-point bearings on wagons. I'm sure someone will remember it.

Andy

I like the principal of using hex rod and tube, and I guess heat shrink tube will also work. But I was put off building a diesel chassis using the Exactoscale kit which was far to rigid 

Understand having enough weight for locos, that's why I like whitemetal locos so much. I guess having small layouts pulling power is less important

Back to 60 years ago, whitemetal 4 & 6 wheel coaches acted as brakes prior to pinpoint axles and bearings. Things have moved on and we now have to add weight !!

21 hours ago, hayfield said:

Andy

I like the principal of using hex rod and tube, and I guess heat shrink tube will also work. But I was put off building a diesel chassis using the Exactoscale kit which was far to rigid 

Understand having enough weight for locos, that's why I like whitemetal locos so much. I guess having small layouts pulling power is less important

Back to 60 years ago, whitemetal 4 & 6 wheel coaches acted as brakes prior to pinpoint axles and bearings. Things have moved on and we now have to add weight !!

Hi John,

Heatshrink  tube won't work. That's thin-wall silicone rubber tube. It's extremely flexible and it grips the brass and the motor shaft very well.

Cheers,

Andy

• Thanks 1