rails to stop stocking Hornby.........

jonnyuk

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, JohnR said:

I note the wording which specifies that they are only ceasing to list things that are on pre-order.

Could it be that they will continue to stock Hornby, but not take pre-orders?

We don't yet know.

They would have stock of many current items.  That stock is theirs to sell.  It is the re-stocking and pre-order side which has been abruptly terminated.  If Rails are unable to obtain future supplies from Hornby then as with the Merseyside warehouse the brand will cease to be available from Sheffield once current stock is sold out.  

I suspect their second-hand department would be unaffected as those items are not sourced directly from Hornby.  

• Agree 5

Me too.

Their email tactfully does not explain what gripe they have with the manufacturer.  That does leave the door open to Hornby to sort things out should they be in a position to do so, and losing one of the biggest outlets strikes me as bad for their future sales even if one can get the products elsewhere.  Let us see whether other major retailers follow suit.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

I was informed by my local shop that Hornby have offered additional models to pre order today to him as stock had become available from another retailer no longer trading with them. It did not mention who (we now know its Rails) but Hornby moving fast to redistribute pre order stock to other shops.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

A bit of a shock, but at least i was able to pre-order the APT set through another retailer.

That's twice i've tried to get hold of it, guess i'm just jinxed (sorry everybody).

I hope that pre-orders for other Hornby stuff are available at other retailers so nobody misses out.

• Friendly/supportive 1

Feels a shame, realistically I only ever order Bachmann items from Rails of Sheffield...

I understand there is never entitlement to a reason, but wanting to find out a reason is often human instinct, and it feels a little uncaring to not give one when you have interest in a shop with order histories which may feel significant (although in reality probably aren't significant).

Maybe this will be Model Railways Direct chance to grow as one of the other few primarily online-focused retailers left to stock both brands!

• Like 3
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Kaput said:

the only "box shifter" left on good terms with both Bachmann and Hornby (for now).

Cheltenham models, Trains4U etc . . .

Well I’m relieved at least now they didn’t transfer my rocket coach to the Hornby version as they still haven’t told me that they’ve cancelled my order for their version . . . at least they seem to be telling those with Hornby orders this time!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I too got the e-mail this morning from Rails, very sad news. I am sure there are valid reasons for this but its none of my business although having used Rails for the last 15 years. I have had a very exceptional service from them. I will just have to find another outlet that will likely be Hattons, KJB Models or AJM Models for my Hornby purchases. In truth, 2020 has been quite a stinking year to put it nicely and there is still four months to go until the end. I like Hornby and I also like Rails but things are a changing and we just need to adapt and survive! 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Kaput said:

Get the feeling Kernow will do well out of this since they are the only "box shifter" left on good terms with both Bachmann and Hornby (for now).

Derails, and many many others.

Rails and Hattons arent the only retailers out there.

Still it is a shame my experience with Hornby from Rails has generally been good. 

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Richard Croft said:

It's a shame. I buy a lot from Rails, particularly if my order is going to contain Hornby and Bachmann products. I like the fact I can order it today and it will be sent today, some of the smaller shops aren't quite as quick. It's a shame that whatever has been the problem couldn't have been resolved, it would have been better for everyone

Richard

Try Derails always had excellent quick shipment.

• Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Derails, and many many others.

Rails and Hattons arent the only retailers out there.

Still it is a shame my experience with Hornby from Rails has generally been good. 

I know there is many other retailers but most of them aren't really big enough to be considered box shifters, even calling Kernow one is pushing it really.

But yes the general jist is lots of the smaller retailers will do well out of this although the sad question really is can the hobby/industry really afford retailers and manufacturers falling out long term.

• Agree 4

There is nothing new in manufacturers being able to decide the terms on which goods are supplied. Meccano products (including Hornby Dublo and Dinky Toys) were supplied via authorised agents and not freely available via the wholesale trade.

Whilst on one level this is a surprise, it in no way materially affects the ability to obtain Hornby products as there are many other outlets. Meanwhile, Rails (as with a similar Merseyside retailer) are no longer just a shop because they have their own manufactured lines and will hopefully continue to prosper. 

Edited by andyman7
Spelling
  • Agree 2

What a palaver - Sad news, I have (had) a "Cock o the North" on pre order with rails, a good firm to order with I find.- Not so cocky now, I'll re pre-order with the scousers !! (NOT the one with a deep sea locker though !!!).

The world is a changin folks - rapidly. Hang on there !!

Brit15

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, cessna152towser said:

I have not yet received the e-mail from Rails even though I have a current pre-order with them.    I learned the news here first.

I suggest you cut them some slack

Publishing such a statement at 4pm on a Monday afternoon rather smacks of something done in haste - I doubt Rails themselves wanted to be rid of Hornby any more than Hattons wanted to stop stocking Bachmann products.

Its likely that this statement was issued as a result of talks between the two breaking down completely and Rails hand being forced (possibly by the reallocation of stocks mentioned up thread).

Given Rails status as a high volume ' box shifter' it is not exactly going to be a quick exercise to go through the systems and identity everyone who will be affected by this change - it will take up so get in touch with everyone concerned

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

The statement leaves a lot of questions unanswered.

Can someone who knows what is going on tell us why this has happened? That would cut off a lot of speculative nonsense.

The statement doesn’t leave anything unanswered. ‘No longer stocking Hornby ‘ - how much clearer can a statement be?!

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

• AY Mod locked this topic