American outline 009

steve howe

I have been toying with the idea of a 'switchback' 009 layout (I carefully avoid the term "warren") for some time now in a space 6' 6" x 2' 6" fully contained, as a saleable project. I'm quite keen on the Roxey Mouldings kits for the Cypriot Railways locomotives, but I am also interested to know what, if anything, is available for 9mm gauge in the American line. There were a lot of 2' gauge lines in Maine and Philadelphia in the early part of the 20th century and it would be interesting to know if any kits are available for rolling stock in this scale.

Any pointers most welcome,

Steve

"In Cornwall we don't have rain, we have liquid sunshine." Cornwall: Land of the midnight cream [tea]!? ;)

3 hours ago, steve howe said:

I have been toying with the idea of a 'switchback' 009 layout (I carefully avoid the term "warren") for some time now in a space 6' 6" x 2' 6" fully contained, as a saleable project. I'm quite keen on the Roxey Mouldings kits for the Cypriot Railways locomotives, but I am also interested to know what, if anything, is available for 9mm gauge in the American line. There were a lot of 2' gauge lines in Maine and Philadelphia in the early part of the 20th century and it would be interesting to know if any kits are available for rolling stock in this scale.

Any pointers most welcome,

Steve

• RMweb Premium

I think anything for these American lines is going to be in HO scale. What's left of their kit industry seems to be focused on 3' gauge lines, mainly in Colorado.

There is the Bachmann Baldwin 4-6-0PT, but I don't know if any of those ever made it back for use in the USA but they were used in other places round the world after the Great War finished. Baldwin also built Lyn for the L&BR and that's coming from Heljan. Both 4mm scale.

Chivers, now Five79, used to do a kit for a Forney, something essential for a Maine two foot gauge line. They are currently in the process of reintroducing much of the range, so worth checking out. They used to do HOn30 freight cars and, I think, a couple of passenger cars as well and  I think I saw that these may be returning at some point.

Steve, Nile is correct. Unless there is someone in the UK making US types in 009, it will all be HO scale.

If going HO, there are several 3d printed conversion kits that use N scale locos as the base. There is also quite a number of 3d printed rolling stock, as well as a few kit makers who do wood laser cut kits.

But again, nothing I have found if 009 of US prototypes.

Jim F

If you are on Facebook, there is a Maine  two footer group that deal with prototype and models. Maine 2ft group  

Funaro & Camerlengo  do some H0n30 rolling stock kits. 

Also worth looking at Shapeways.

I don't think the Baldwin WD loco would at all look out of place in a US setting, although a quick search provides no evidence that any actually worked there. I would go for the Roco/Minitrains version as it is H0.

Edited by JZ

• RMweb Gold

Minitrains F&C stuff is still around if you look although sadly there will be no more. Their 2-6-2 WD Baldwin is another option. 
As Pat said the Chivers range is slowly re-emerging so the Forney and stock mights be around soon. 
Also Myner Models and others on Shapeways do a fair bit of Locos, stock and useful stuff if you search HOn30. 

Bachmann & Minitrains Baldwins 

F6362603-9536-4252-9B80-30ECB4EFA33A.jpeg.3c4656948dc2802a8072c14c8fe7da16.jpeg

Minitrains F&C 

8AEC5728-C820-468D-A97B-F22F56708EEF.jpeg.f95142b7e0b7a7eaa11a52fde3a2da32.jpeg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The Minitrains Baldwin 2-6-2T is a viable option for a US 2ft line as it is visually identical to the Davenport built version, some of which never left the USA and were sold for industrial use. It's HO scale, as can be seen in Paul's photo above of it next to a 009 Baldwin.