Through Limestone Hills - Monsal and Millers Dale

LNER4479

Only a week later after the March 2019 visit outlined above, Paul sent me these two brief pieces of video to celebrate a train travelling round the complete circuit for the first time:

The smooth alignment over the viaduct shows up particularly well; that looks good for the future.

More to add soon ...

• Like 9

Looking fantastic, of course!  Of particular interest is the looped figure-of eight, which I have in mind for a Waverley Route setting, not so dissimilar from the stunning Monsal - Miller's line in that both rely on conveying a 'Big Country' vibe. 

I'm extremely comforted by the capacity of a standard-width garage to accommodate appropriate radius curves suited to a main line.  Excellent work and following with jaw-dropping fanboy fervour!

• Like 1

Thanks. The off-scene curves are quite tight in places, probably down to approx second radius / 18in, so only really suitable for RTR as opposed to finer kit built stock. I'll try and remember to take some pix to illustrate next time I'm there. However, the nature of the prototype, with its abundant tunnels comes in quite handy in this respect - some would apply to the Waverley route, of course.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

Thanks. The off-scene curves are quite tight in places, probably down to approx second radius / 18in, so only really suitable for RTR as opposed to finer kit built stock. I'll try and remember to take some pix to illustrate next time I'm there. However, the nature of the prototype, with its abundant tunnels comes in quite handy in this respect - some would apply to the Waverley route, of course.

Indeed, us Waverlites have less luxury in tunnel terms (or do we - Whitrope, Ladhope, Bowshank and Torwoodlee), but nonetheless the line's NBR counterpart, the Perth Direct, has Glenfarg's wonderful juxtaposition of viaduct, A-road, river and tunnel that could conceivably be interwoven as a scenic device.  

I like the way your plan by its own admission sends trains 'the wrong way,' and my equivalent work-around is to base mine on an interpretation of a prototype that saw the navvies drive the head of steel via Langholm, Mosspaul and Teviothead on their way northwards.  This way I can use licence to have a tunnel/ bridges/ road and river combination in the real life vicinity of Ewes Farm (much like at Shankend on the real thing).

Anyway, time to stop hijacking your magnum opus, sit back and enjoy!!!

• Like 1

So this is why the updates on Hills of the North have slowed down is it?!! This looks like another cracker - I too am quite interested in the dimensions as whilst we have an internal double garage, I’m hoping to only take up half of it... What sort of length trains will be able to be run, both in terms of looking right on the scenic sections and being able to handle the gradients?

Thanks. 

• Like 1

Ideally 6 coaches but The Palantine runs with  7  but then it is a premier service.

Mainly  so that when the front of the train is on the viaduct, the rear end clears the tunnel.

Although I have only tried a few loco's so far my Patriot and Black 5's have no problem hauling 6 up the bank.

P

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
On 09/09/2020 at 23:58, apbolton said:

Ideally 6 coaches but The Palantine runs with  7  but then it is a premier service.

Mainly  so that when the front of the train is on the viaduct, the rear end clears the tunnel.

Although I have only tried a few loco's so far my Patriot and Black 5's have no problem hauling 6 up the bank.

P

Do you want a list of locos which ran this way?  Lots of research for Chapel en le Frith

Layout looks very nice..

Bas

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Barry O said:

I will dig it out ..but a hint..Jubilees , 4Fs  and Black 5s....

Baz

To really have a bit of fun run it as 1948 and have the last Claughton or, for those preferring cream to faded red muck,1954 and have a GWR streamlined railcar.

Simon

Edited by 65179

1948 saw the locomotive exchange trials so you could have a Hall, B17 and Bulleid Pacific. Fairly sure I've seen a picture of a J39 on a football special. Also fairly sure the Beyer Garratts were seen on the line as far south as Rowsley.

Edited by Anglian

• RMweb Premium

A B17 would have been anything but fun for the crews given their roughriding, but wasn't it B1 61251 used for the trials? A Beyer-Garratt was tried once over the Peak. Presumably the only time one went north of Rowsley that way. It didn't do a lot for its brakes on the way down!

Simon

• RMweb Premium

I'll stop filling up this thread with random stuff that distracts from the modelling shortly, but this article from the Manchester Locomotive Society on Buxton shed is interesting for anyone looking at motive power in the area: http://www.manlocosoc.co.uk/buxton-shed.pdf 

Cbeagleowner of this parish and I came up with a 48-68 back of a fag packet list for Millers Dale/Peak Forest a while back. It had:

Midland 2F
Midland 3F
Midland 4F
LMS 4F (including with snow hood tender)
7F
Super D
8F
WD
9F
Crosti

Ivatt 2MT
Ivatt 4MT
Crab
Black 5 (All flavours)
Standard 5 (Walschaerts and Caprotti)

B1

MR 2P
LMS 2P
MR 3P
MR 4P
LMS 4P
5XP
Rebuilt Scot (1949 and then late '50s)
Britannia

LNWR 2-4-2T
Johnson 0-4-4T
Stanier/Lemon 0-4-4T
Stanier 2-6-2T (one daily Mcr-Buxton and return in 1950)
Fowler 2-6-4T
Stanier 2-6-4T
Fairburn 2-6-4T

LMS twins
Fell
Cl24
Cl25
Cl28
Cl44
Cl45
Cl47
Derby Lightweight
Railbus (Park Royal or the German ones)
Cl108
Midland Pullman

Rarer diesels

Hymek on test? (South from BP to Chinley, but not sure how far beyond)
Cl17
GWR streamlined railcar

Cl40 perhaps when they were first tried on the hoppers?

Rarer steam:

Patriot (17A's 45509 made occasional appearances on Derby-Manchester services in the 1950s, 45518 (8A) worked one St Pancras-Manchester in 1960)

Rebuilt Patriot (observed workings correspond with the 1959-1961 period when both Trafford Park and Kentish Town (the sheds sharing most StP-Mcr working) had Patriots allocated e.g. 45522 and 45540)
Stanier crab

Claughton 6004 (one Buxton bound freight from the South in 1948)
West Country (Barnstaple)

Hall
O4 (certainly O4/8)
J39
J11?
The last 3 LNER classes plus J10s would have made it to Gowhole routinely. The first 3 more so after Belle Vue closed and Gorton took on its workings. Further south is a rather different story.

Barry's list is no doubt longer still!

Simon

Edited by 65179
clarification reflecting later discussion
  • Like 1