Through Limestone Hills - Monsal and Millers Dale

LNER4479

1 hour ago, 65179 said:

A B17 would have been anything but fun for the crews given their roughriding, but wasn't it B1 61251 used for the trials? A Beyer-Garratt was tried once over the Peak. Presumably the only time one went north of Rowsley that way. It didn't do a lot for its brakes on the way down!

Simon

Yes, the Peak route was just a bit too steep at 1-in-90 for their rather dodgy brakes. They did however work into Gowhole yard from Hasland (Chesterfield) using the easier-graded Hope Valley route.

• RMweb Premium
On 12/09/2020 at 21:03, LNER4479 said:

Yes, the Peak route was just a bit too steep at 1-in-90 for their rather dodgy brakes. They did however work into Gowhole yard from Hasland (Chesterfield) using the easier-graded Hope Valley route.

I will happily bow to those with more knowledge on the matter, but I'm sure that I've seen a picture of at least one LMS Beyer Garratt heading south somewhere between Matlock and Ambergate, possibly on a delivery run.

Adrian

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, figworthy said:

I will happily bow to those with more knowledge on the matter, but I'm sure that I've seen a picture of at least one LMS Beyer Garratt heading south somewhere between Matlock and Ambergate, possibly on a delivery run.

Adrian

They worked routinely from Rowsley Yard southwards. Rowsley was their northern limit over the Peak route whilst as LNER4479 notes they made it as far as Gowhole via the Dore & Totley route (on Avenue to Gowhole workings particularly).

Simon

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Derbyshire Yeomanry (unrebuilt Patriot) appeared at Chapel...once. Rebuilt Pats were few and far between (few sightings of one at Chapel..no photos as ywr. Beyer Garrats..no for Chapel (and yes I ha e a Ks one), careful with Brits as they did appear but damaged themselves and the track..

Mainly Jubilees then Scots on expresses, lots of 4Fs and 8Fs, a few 9Fs but it depends on the date you want to Mode Blue Pullman can be used to narrow the dates down..which affects the loco list. We have Ivatt 2MT te der locos. The Ivatt 4 MT lMoguls were camera shy..

Get a Jubilee and rename it "Seahorse" used a lot on the Palatine...

Hours of endless fun can be done..

Hymeks on delivery Claytons on test, the LMS Twin diesels.. someone did say they also saw an NBL Warship on delivery but no photo located..

Baz

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Barry O said:

Derbyshire Yeomanry (unrebuilt Patriot) appeared at Chapel...once. Rebuilt Pats were few and far between (few sightings of one at Chapel..no photos as ywr. Beyer Garrats..no for Chapel (and yes I ha e a Ks one), careful with Brits as they did appear but damaged themselves and the track..

Mainly Jubilees then Scots on expresses, lots of 4Fs and 8Fs, a few 9Fs but it depends on the date you want to Mode Blue Pullman can be used to narrow the dates down..which affects the loco list. We have Ivatt 2MT te der locos. The Ivatt 4 MT lMoguls were camera shy..

Get a Jubilee and rename it "Seahorse" used a lot on the Palatine...

Hours of endless fun can be done..

Hymeks on delivery Claytons on test, the LMS Twin diesels.. someone did say they also saw an NBL Warship on delivery but no photo located..

Baz

Seahorse was a regular on the 'Buxton Club train' in 1965 and possibly late '64. The 5.22pm from Central to Buxton Midland. Effectively the Jubilees' last hurrah over the Peak.  At that point it was on loan to Trafford Park from Newton Heath.  It was thus there too late to be a regular on the Palatine which was a diseasel turn by that point. It's so well photographed though that you'd think it was associated with the Peak forever!

A list of representative Jubilees would be fairly static for 1948-1956, but then there was a lot of movement. 45618 is hard to beat for a consistent performer - associated with the line from 1934-1961.

There are more photos of Derbyshire Yeomanry in the area than you'd think as well!  45518 Bradshaw's appearance was a bit random though. 

Rebuilt Patriots are perhaps easier to justify at Chinley on holiday traffic, but some were allocated to 9E or 14B for a while. 45522 (can't find it now but there is a photo of it on its way to Buxton somewhere) at Kentish Town in 1959-61 and 45540 at Trafford Park in 1961 for example.

Simon

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Try ..

45557 New Brunswick (Fowler Tender but also  fitted with a Stanier tender)).  45612 Jamaica (Fowler Tender), - Kentish Town locos were used a lot on London to Manchester Central expresses) decrostied  Crosti 9F, Scots.. I have looked for rebuilt Patriots and Unrebuilt Patriots in the Peak - but few photos despite looking for more than Derbyshire Yeomanry and Prestatyn.

Of course you can use Co Bos and the "Fell" as well. Stanier 2Ps and Fowler 2-6-4 Tanks on passenger services from Buxton north via Chapel..

Be careful with the Jubilees though. The tenders were swapped about at various times..

For some reason I got "Sea Horse " in my list but maybe that is because of a member from that area on RMWeb?

@seahorse can you help with this one?

Baz

• RMweb Premium

Whenever someone mentions 45612 I always think of this photo (http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/m/millers_dale/index39.shtml - better reproduced versions appear elsewhere) of it coming through Millers Dale station with high sided Fowler tender much in evidence.

I have 3 photos of 45509 working over the Peak; all on different days judging by the condition of the loco including a colour shot in the Heyday of Steam Around Manchester showing it crossing Marple Wharf Viaduct. 

I've not gone looking for rebuilt Patriots, but can only think of 3 photos off the top of my head. I'm not sure what that demonstrates though as it's my perception that the relevant 1959-1961 period is less well covered photographically than 1952-1955 and the end of steam.

Simon 

Edited by 65179
  • Like 1

Thanks for pointing me to this layout thread - another one to follow!

The best sources are the photos of E. R. Morten and H Towneley - they went out together and often appear in each other's photos. The collection is widely available in Foxline books. Another good source is Trains Illustrated.

There are a number of Groups on Facebook - Manchester, Derbyshire, Rowsley-Chinley for photos of local lines

I was put out to find that 45712 Victory had a Fowler tender - we modelled it with a Stanier tender.

Somewhere I have some spotting notes - a highlight was 70015 Apollo piloted by compound 40907 on consecutive days

• Like 1

Re 'Seahorse', my Dad worked in the South Manchester area in the 1960s and his drive to and from work timed perfectly with 'Seahorse's working on the Buxton commuter train, the inbound working being 8am off Buxton. He had his cine camera in the car and would often allow time to see / film the train on his way to and from work.

Most of this was in the Cheadle Heath area (where the train called) but on occasions he ventured further including one evening to Buxton to capture the train arriving and the loco subsequently being disposed of on Buxton shed.

For anyone interested, this footage is available through the Railfilms collection. Originally produced as a four volume VHS set (the 'Seahorse' sequence was on Vol.2), there's now a combined DVD which says it includes the 'Seahorse' sequence (I haven't seen it myself), available here:

https://www.telerail.co.uk/railway-dvds-railfilms-titles/the-roger-nicholas-collection/steam-in-retrospect-revisited

It's edited so as to feature the morning inbound train, followed by the 'famous' 1722 evening train, first featuring departure shots from Cheadle Heath, then progressively along the line before the final arrival shots at Buxton.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Then the rebuilt midland compound 1000 ran through Peak Forest on 21 September 1959 with and engineers saloon M932. This will have been a running turn Derby, Chinley, Derby. The prototype Deltic ran light engine to Derby, presumably for inspection before entering service, no date but remembered by a signalman. A vast amount of motive power ran over the route but sorry no Duchesses. The one thing I miss is the excellent O gauge model of Monsal viaduct and Millers Dale that was in Matlock. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

In lockdown I  spent  many an hour researching and I came  across a dyeline print on the Midland Railway web site showing all of the station  area dated 1906.

What was particular useful was the  notes someone had added in pencil, giving a wealth of information including the  signs on the goods shed. So I set about building it from 30thou plasticard. The Silcocks sign was done by Sankey Scenics as a bespoke enlargement from their wagon labels. 

IMG_20200708_183910.jpg

IMG_20200708_183846.jpg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Gold

Hi Paul, just seen this and good to see another Peak line layout. We'll soon have to have our own section!! Hope all is well with you and yours, seems ages since we caught up at Hartlepool show.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...

A couple of weeks ago, I had a free day, my wife was called into work, so not wishing to waste an opportunity  I set about some landscaping work around Monsal Head, I  first cut up a sheet polystyrene  insulation left over from the interior build, I'm  a Yorkshire man,  we don't like to waste our money you know.

I glued it down with a  hot glue gun and cut it to shape.

What  you can't see from the  photo is the 3 inches of bits of polystyrene I an wading through   took me an hour to  hoover it all up!

Then I added 2 layers of plaster bandage and left it to dry for a few days.

Once it was dry I covered it in a mix of cheap polyfiller from the pound shop and brown acrylic paint.

Yesterday I  did the same with the other side including the first bit of chicken wire wok on the hill side, next week it will be  covered with earth to match.

20201028_170437.jpg

20201112_165717_06.jpg

20201119_161852.jpg

• Like 19

On 16/09/2020 at 17:27, joseph benjamin said:

I'm impressed this looks to be an interesting layout. The Hymeks had to pass an acceptance test hauling 10 carriages from BP to Derby and back.

Another point to add interest is that a lot of the Hymeks on acceptance tests were in pink primer paint.

• Informative/Useful 1