Through Limestone Hills - Monsal and Millers Dale

LNER4479

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, LNER4479 said:

Now that is one damn fine looking viaduct you've got there, sir!

That's going to be a great stage for some super photos in the (not-too-distant) future...

I couldn't have put it better myself all it needs is a 2-4-0 double heading a Spinner on a rake of clestories it be my idea of heaven.

Regards Lez. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

That viaduct is superb and clearly needs a Midland Pullman set, and a class 45 with (6-8)maroon mark 1's, maybe even a 25 with some LMS porthole coaches (2-3) . LMR fundamentalists would add a class 28 diesel. Cant wait to see this complete. Well done !

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Paul,

I have just started to design my own layout and so wondered if I could ask you some questions re measurements please? I have 16ft by 8.5ft, so not quite as wide as yours, but I’m only going for two scenic runs. 

Would you be able to confirm (mainlines only) how high off the floor the lowest section of mainline is please, and how highly the highest section is? Also, what is your steepest gradient for the climb between the two heights?

Thanks!

Thought I would  post the latest  progress, not got that much done over the festive period, hopefully get more done as tier 4 gets underway. 

Anyway as you can see I have started with the base for the scenery and even managed a bit of ballasting, although it needs a bit more tidying before I  glue it down.

20201219_111301.jpg.ca8db7d76486555792c8a4a1b44c2d1d.jpg

Got several elements of the scene on the work bench, trees, walls etc so will post more when there done.

All best for 2021 to everyone.

Paul

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, cheesysmith said:

Sorry but that viaduct needs a garrat on a load of wagons on the way back from gowhole to toton.

As it happens that would be modelling a one off.  An LMS Beyer-Garratt was tried over the Peak, but its brakes weren't really up to it. The Garratts made it to Rowsley sometimes  but they reached Gowhole via the Hope Valley line. It was one of those oddities of steam operations north from Rowsley that there was only a small benefit (time etc) having anything bigger than a 4F on northbound freights. All northbound freights required a banker if the load exceeded that for a 4F anyway.  I've just checked that information in Keith Miles's Rowsley book and come across a shot of 2P 4-4-0 40520 banking a northbound freight. That would make an interesting talking point!

Simon

• Agree 2

I read somewhere that the max load was governed by what the brake van and banker could stop from running back if the coupling between loco and first wagon broke.  Obviously a major concern where such lusty devices as "Super" (heated) 4F's were on the case so it made no sense for anything larger than a 4F to work north of Rowsley.   The LNWR invested in 8 wheeled brake vans to save fitting their engines with brakes that worked and the GWR laughed at little slopes like the Peaks when they had Dainton to contend with.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, DavidCBroad said:

I read somewhere that the max load was governed by what the brake van and banker could stop from running back if the coupling between loco and first wagon broke.  Obviously a major concern where such lusty devices as "Super" (heated) 4F's were on the case so it made no sense for anything larger than a 4F to work north of Rowsley.   The LNWR invested in 8 wheeled brake vans to save fitting their engines with brakes that worked and the GWR laughed at little slopes like the Peaks when they had Dainton to contend with.

Yes, it was all about what a 20T brake van could safely stop on the ruling gradient of 1 in 90. The undulating nature of either route north from Rowsley making broken couplings more likely.

2 hours ago, apbolton said:

Hi Adrock

The lowest part of the mainline is 970mm of the floor and the highest is 1050mm making the difference 80mm for slope of the line through Monsal Head.

Hope this  helps.

Paul

Thanks Paul - yes, this is perfect and a huge help as I start my planning process!

• Like 1