Through Limestone Hills - Monsal and Millers Dale

LNER4479

On 02/01/2021 at 09:12, drduncan said:

Fantastic project.  I look forward to seeing it progress.  Shame there won’t be any Spinners and Kirtley 2-4-0s in use....

Incidentally, what happened to the 7mm version at Slaters?

Duncan

I did ask David White sometime ago and seemed to recall it was in storage at, I think, Butterley. It got damaged though unfortunately although he said the viaduct section was saved.

1 hour ago, alant said:

I did ask David White sometime ago and seemed to recall it was in storage at, I think, Butterley. It got damaged though unfortunately although he said the viaduct section was saved.

Bill Hudson, author of the book this subject takes its name from, told me most was destroyed by Derby Council when they wanted their building back.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Latest addition to the layout having a test run, the carriages are not correct but since they have been sitting un opened for 15 years I  decided it was about time they came out for a run.20210101_164701.jpg.c54ef786ba39225115a37401923a71d3.jpg

I intend to build the correct push pull set for the Buxton shuttle but these will  do for now. What I haved started to do is build platforms 4&5, so it will at least have somewhere to run to.

• Like 13

Hi Baz

Yes please, not sure what I need, not really looked into yet  Wizard do the driving end kit, which is about as far as I have looked, please put them aside for me and we can discuss a price whenever we  are allowed to meet up.

Cheers paul 

5 hours ago, apbolton said:

Hi Baz

Yes please, not sure what I need, not really looked into yet  Wizard do the driving end kit, which is about as far as I have looked, please put them aside for me and we can discuss a price whenever we  are allowed to meet up.

Cheers paul 

I think I have a Comet Driving Motor end.
I'll check and you can have it. I'm never going to do anything with it.
If you like.
Regards,
Chris.

• Thanks 1

16109101897418291344798757164434.jpg.045d54955abdb806619bad8535e1df33.jpgAs I  said in my post last Wednesday, I have  started to build the platform buildings for the Buxton  shuttle to run into.

You are looking at  this side platform 5, with the gents on the left, platform 4 the other side, obviously just the shell at the moment but I have  spent time this  afternoon drawing up the doors and windows on my silhouette cutter, so they are ready to insert next along with the internal walls.

Since this is at the front of the layout and despite having a canopy covering most of it, I  intend to detail the interior.

Edited by apbolton
Update
  • Like 12

Unfortunately the dyeline print is a plan view rather than elevation and the image quality is poor.  All of the buildings have been built using photos either from books or from web sites.

None of the buildings are built to scale but rather are built to fit the space on the board however their proportions are correct for each other so taking the building above as an example, I used the plan to work out its size relative to that of the buildings on platform 1 and taking into account that the model platform is  narrower than the real thing, I  am building it to look right  in the space I have. 

My aim is to have a model that looks right in the space available 

• Like 4

Although Limestone quarrying was a major industry on this line, specifically between Millers Dale and Chinley.  Did any Limestone trains run down through the Monsal Dale and Millers Dale section?  Just wondered as I've never actually seen any limestone traffic in photos on this section.

At the end of over the peak 2 there is a picture of a LST train being assembled from the limeworks mmediately south of the viaduct. Fascinating to hear they had to make the trains up from smaller sections crossing the up line to do so!

So you would have had some trains on that section I guess. I've never seen a picture of a train from the limekilns and quarry to the north of the station but I guess there would as some time being a service from there. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Trees, I started these before Christmas,  finally got around to completing them yesterday, so spent the afternoon planting them.

20210128_170058.jpg.27d7168dc0051ece323fd4cdec13a7f1.jpg

There are 17 trees on bank, they are not meant to be any specific type, but using photos as reference I tried to get the overall shape of the covering something like.

20210128_170141_01.jpg.c744a50355ceb8b435bc17f74d85a918.jpg

The trees are made of died hydregea heads, which came from LMS29's back garden last year, they have been left to dry since.

The green is Woodland Scenic foilage mat, I  use two shades to add a bit of variation. Other brands are available .

The other side needs the same treatment, as well as a few behind the  viaduct. But that's another day.

• Like 12
  • Agree 1

The trees look very nice Paul but it's a 'hmmm?' from me in terms of their juxtaposition on the overall scene. I'm referring to your second photo in particular (the first one looks fine) as it looks like they're masking off the clear view of a whole train at the Monsal Dale scene.

It may be the case that the tops of the uppermost trees really did (do!) rise above trackbed level at the top of the viaduct but in terms of your model, does it not overpower things a little?

Maybe it will only be when the scenery is developed between the viaduct and the Chee Tor tunnels that we'll get the full effect and be able to judge better?

12 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

The trees look very nice Paul but it's a 'hmmm?' from me in terms of their juxtaposition on the overall scene. I'm referring to your second photo in particular (the first one looks fine) as it looks like they're masking off the clear view of a whole train at the Monsal Dale scene.

It may be the case that the tops of the uppermost trees really did (do!) rise above trackbed level at the top of the viaduct but in terms of your model, does it not overpower things a little?

Maybe it will only be when the scenery is developed between the viaduct and the Chee Tor tunnels that we'll get the full effect and be able to judge better?

Thanks, I  hadn't  really thought about that, I will leave it for now, but I may reduce the height of the trees  nearest the viaduct in the long run or maybe remove the last couple on the right. 

Let's see what it's like when we get Chee Tor done can't believe it's nearly a year since we started it.

• Friendly/supportive 2