Pictures and information on Reading station, platforms 1-3

What sort of date is the plan?

I used to make an effort to include Reading on my railway ramblings during the 1970s, because particularly pre-HST there was always something interesting going on, and in the early 80s I oversaw a large cable renewal job there, but my recollection of the track layout is dim to nil.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 15/10/2021 at 21:30, Nearholmer said:

What sort of date is the plan?

Unfortunately I’ve no firm date, although looking at some excellent photos on Flickr and the like, I would guess at early 80’s. 

• Thanks 1

I remember when I use to catch the train to Newbury from these platforms, I can remember loads of little details. The signal on platform 3 was on the ground and was a bit like a traffic light, there was what I think was an old GWR stables on the other side of the wall towards the end of platform 1. 

The buffers on platform 1 & 2 were a bit more traditional but the buffers on platform 3 were those big red ones that are designed to be hit and slide along the rails.

Also they use to stable class 60s on platform 3 and I remember seeing a blue and grey parcels coach as well once in the 90s.

Lots of fond memories...

Rob.