Freight train on fire in Wales

• RMweb Premium

The Wales on line site (an awful site) has lots of pictures and videos of the site. https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/llangennech-carmarthenshire-fire-train-police-18834928 

There is going to be a lot of cleaning up to be done. 

Most importantly however, it's great to see that there appears to be no injuries. 

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

23 minutes ago, Kris said:

The Wales on line site (an awful site) has lots of pictures and videos of the site. https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/llangennech-carmarthenshire-fire-train-police-18834928 

There is going to be a lot of cleaning up to be done. 

Most importantly however, it's great to see that there appears to be no injuries. 

I note from that report that the liquid was being carried in 'carriages'. Silly me, I thought they would have used tank wagons.

Good no injuries considering what happened.

steve

PS Kris, you're right, it really is a crap website!

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, steve1 said:

I note from that report that the liquid was being carried in 'carriages'. Silly me, I thought they would have used tank wagons.

Good no injuries considering what happened.

steve

PS Kris, you're right, it really is a crap website!

Yes the std of reporting on the likes of this is abysmal these days , it makes me think of an HST full of Jerry cans .

Regards Arran

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

52 minutes ago, steve1 said:

Reading through the BBC report, I see they have said carriages as well. Words fail me.

It’s par for the course.

Journalists have their own dictionary of incorrect terminology to suit lots of subject matters.

Take anything aviation related for example.

How many times do you hear “on the tarmac”?

What does that ever mean? It’s certainly not a term used anywhere in aviation circles and appears to be exclusively journalist speak.

Hence you have descriptions of railway events, where MU type trains are described as train engines, wagons are called carriages and reports of train drivers either attempting to steer a train to avoid a collision, or taking the wrong turning.

The same goes for some other subject areas, so it does beg the question, how much do they actually get right ?

• Agree 7

What a nasty event, thoughts with those involved.

It's not just journalists, I've had NR staff tell me they've emptied / loaded all the carriages...

@7013 The 66 has been put on the back to drag back the good wagons from accounts elsewhere. Train loco reported at 60062.

Jo

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, steve1 said:

Reading through the BBC report, I see they have said carriages as well. Words fail me.

steve

To be fair the BBC are quoting a local journalist when they say that (although it presumably should be within quotation marks!). Scary business - diesel might not be as flammable as petrol but once it gets going it's very hard to put out.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Gilbert said:

So it was running via the Swansea District Line (good to see that this still has some use), hence the disruption to Central Wales line services (possibly the derailed train is physically foul of the junction between the SDL and the CWL or just locking up track circuits, or simply just too close geographically).

Very good news that no one appears to have been hurt, given the potential for serious problems with an incident involving Dangerous Goods.

I'm now left wondering how the train managed to derail in the first place, although clearly we will now await the formal inquiry and the results of that.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

3 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

So it was running via the Swansea District Line (good to see that this still has some use), hence the disruption to Central Wales line services (possibly the derailed train is physically foul of the junction between the SDL and the CWL or just locking up track circuits, or simply just too close geographically).

Very good news that no one appears to have been hurt, given the potential for serious problems with an incident involving Dangerous Goods.

I'm now left wondering how the train managed to derail in the first place, although clearly we will now await the formal inquiry and the results of that.

The Central Wales line and the Swansea District Line share a common route from Llandeilo Junction to Morlais Junction, which is just north of the incident site. Hence, an incident on this section would block both routes. Traffic on the District Line comprises two or three daily workings- oil from the Milford Haven area, and steel to the tinplate works at Trostre.

The Central Wales Line has been having a few problems over the last couple of months. Bridge timbers had to be changed near Pontardulais, not far from the incident site; these were not a stock size, so the train was replaced by a bus. More recently, there was a landslip on the northern part of the line, again requiring 'bustitution'

• Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

You’d think BBC/ journos, person in charge would think , “ right , we know absolutely jack #£& about trains, call the “ expert “on trains.

Thus avoiding calling wagons , carriages etc.

I’m afraid we no longer have journalism as such. It is now downgraded to what I believe is called “soundbites” .And the BBC is first among equals in this respect. Their NewsApp is an example of this basic tabloid twaddle.

But so good that no one was hurt.Nonetheless a nasty mess to clean up.Block oil trains headed by class 60’s are an everyday sight through our local area and bewilderingly long things they are too.Like CK,I’ll be keenly interested in the results from the RAIB.

• Agree 3

In the 80's when I worked for London Underground our office of 10 people had a healthy interest in news from both TV and newspapers. We came to the conclusion that all news was rubbish as most articles that were about something that one or more of us knew about contained wrong information. The passing of time has not changed my view on this, and the rise of "fake news" depresses me!

• Like 1
  • Agree 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Captain Kernow said:

Looking at the photos on the BBC website,the derailment appears to be clearly across the junction.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Lucky no one injured and a big bang not happened..  Trains are of the maximum length ( and sometimes longer!) to get fuel to Westerleigh and other destinations using minimum train paths. The Westerleigh terminal single line access is the pinch point - apart from terminal time and what drives available paths so "better" to send 19 - 21 100 tonne tanks rather than try to create another path that has long dwell times waiting single line - forgetting engine and crew costs ...

South Wales ML has been closed once or twice with DG incidents where hand brake not fully released and smoke seen from fuel trains ....    Still the bulk fuel train will for many years beat cost of a pipeline. 

Robert  

• Agree 1