Freight train on fire in Wales

Reading about this on railway staff closed groups on FB, one report says damage has been done to signalling cables causing widespread disruption. so much for centralised signalling centres.

It would appear a wagon (or carriage) may have derailed on the points and caused a tank to rupture causing the fire. But best wait for the RAIB than getting involved in any more speculation.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

I wondered about them - they look pretty disgusting and I’d assumed it was spill from the train polluting them. Hopefully they will act as catch-pits.

They were that colour before the accident as can been seen from Google maps:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Ferryside/@51.6996068,-4.0685883,785m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x486ec294578cd4a7:0x489ce28f92ec9600!8m2!3d51.767649!4d-4.3688969

• Agree 1

42 minutes ago, roythebus said:

Reading about this on railway staff closed groups on FB, one report says damage has been done to signalling cables causing widespread disruption. so much for centralised signalling centres.

Hi,

That area isn’t in Wales ROC yet, it’s still Port Talbot Panel, the scheme to transfer to the ROC is still in design.

Simon

1 hour ago, Nearholmer said:

What makes anyone think that the proper names of rail vehicles are general knowledge?

On RMWeb, yes, but on the Clapham Omnibus?

..... or parts of rail vehicles : how many times have you heard a mother tell their child 'Sit in that chair at once ! " when the term is 'seat' when the thing's bolted down - whether on a train, the Clapham Omnibus or even Clapham Common !

• Funny 1

3 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

I wondered about them - they look pretty disgusting and I’d assumed it was spill from the train polluting them. Hopefully they will act as catch-pits.

That's the normal colour of the liquid that comes from old mines; I believe it's to do with iron compounds. The 'river' (using the term loosely) that oozed along the side of Llanelli Steelworks was a similar shade.

• Agree 2

14 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

That's the normal colour of the liquid that comes from old mines; I believe it's to do with iron compounds. The 'river' (using the term loosely) that oozed along the side of Llanelli Steelworks was a similar shade.

Ochre water - common where there are mines. Last mine closed in Wigan in 1964 but we still have ochre streams.

https://www.cleanriverstrust.co.uk/mining-pigment-and-ochre-waters/

Brit15

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, rob D2 said:

You’d think BBC/ journos, person in charge would think , “ right , we know absolutely jack #£& about trains, call the “ expert “on trains.

Thus avoiding calling wagons , carriages etc.

What happens if they were to call a 'media centre', or whatever? They would probably go into a hold queue and eventually answered by someone with no idea either, so a complete waste of time. Given that the world of journalists, is shrinking one (staff cuts), they won't waste their time in future.

• RMweb Premium

From what I have seen in recent times, most so called news journalism seems to consist of writing an article by simply copying and pasting random quotes off social media and presenting it as facts.

Even the BBC is going down this route now whilst local newspapers have become practically worthless and unreadable.

Edited by John M Upton
  • Agree 12

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, rob D2 said:

You’d think BBC/ journos, person in charge would think , “ right , we know absolutely jack #£& about trains, call the “ expert “on trains.

Thus avoiding calling wagons , carriages etc.

But that would cost money!!!

On 27/08/2020 at 22:45, Fat Controller said:

That's the normal colour of the liquid that comes from old mines; I believe it's to do with iron compounds.

On 27/08/2020 at 23:01, APOLLO said:

Ochre water - common where there are mines. Last mine closed in Wigan in 1964 but we still have ochre streams.

The Bridgewater Canal at Worsley is stained orange from the former coal mines connected to the canal, the Trent and Mersey Canal at Harecastle Tunnel is similarly afflicted by the strata through which the tunnel passes.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Steadfast said:

I suspect because the loco is being hauled shut down rather than left idling.

Not seeing the move first hand I can't confirm.

Jo

Very common - this was about 30 mins later.

50289235818_6b4da0b926_z.jpg

and this was the previous day

50285834091_dd12fb74a1_z.jpg

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

9 hours ago, jim.snowdon said:

I think the requirement to carry a tail lamp is in the Rules and that it applies to all trains unless excepted. Obvious exceptions are multiple unit passenger trains and, I believe, light locomotives and trains made up as fixed sets, such as the class 91 + DVT.

Jim

Hi Jim

All trains have to have tail lamps, no exceptions, multiple units, 91 + dot and hst sets have red lamps which act as tail lamps, the photos above show locos which are being hauled and switched off as rightly surmised above

ian

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 27/08/2020 at 19:29, roythebus said:

It would appear a wagon (or carriage) may have derailed on the points and caused a tank to rupture causing the fire. But best wait for the RAIB than getting involved in any more speculation.

Telecomms where hit as far away as Abergavenny, local signalling was also knocked out on the District. 

Edited by Courtybella
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 31/08/2020 at 23:53, Hroth said:

The Bridgewater Canal at Worsley is stained orange from the former coal mines connected to the canal, the Trent and Mersey Canal at Harecastle Tunnel is similarly afflicted by the strata through which the tunnel passes.

the bridgewater canal has after a concerted effort local council and rivers authority lost its orange hue and is now slowly reverting to its natural colour it was a very dark brown when i last looked 

Where a loco's being hauled as in the examples above, as the locos aren't coupled for multiple working, the driver of the hauling loco will not have any fire alarm warning for the hauled loco(s).

Therefore locos being hauled need to be either manned by a driver, or shut down and hauled dead.

When a loco's dead, the BIS* needs to be put to off/isolate to preserve battery power, so a portable tail lamp's required.

* Battery Isolating Switch

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

On 02/09/2020 at 18:14, peanuts said:

the bridgewater canal has after a concerted effort local council and rivers authority lost its orange hue and is now slowly reverting to its natural colour it was a very dark brown when i last looked 

Sounds like a useful source of weathering washes for modellers, provided you can stand the smell...

• Funny 2