Complete signal beginner help

• RMweb Premium

Good morning. 
 So I have got to the signal section of my build. Does anyone have a recommendation of a book so I can read up and understand what goes where and why? It’s a preserved steam layout. 
secondly I would like to make most the signals work.  what’s my options for working semaphore signal. I have read about Dapol and they seem ok. I have also read how fiddly ratio is to make them work. Who else is there? 
many thanks in advance Andrew 

• RMweb Gold

I'd recommend "British Railway Signalling" by Kitchenside & Williams as the best place to start.

For a preservation era layout, a good approach would be to go to your local line and see what they've got - often preserved stations are much more comprehensively signalled than they were in steam days, as this gives much more flexibility, for example having loops bidirectionally signalled so that trains can go either way though each platform.

It's also worth posting your track plan here as there'e plenty of experts who can advise!

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the book advice. I will get a track plan drawn up in its final form and put it up as well. I popped down to the SVR but platform access is understandably restricted at the moment. 
thanks again

Are we talking preserved GWR as you mentioned SVR? In any event a lot depends on what you expect to achieve. For the best results you need to choose something from such as the range from Wizard Models, which can be further detailed. Whether you DIY or commission.

I think Mike R (aka The Stationmaster) will be along to look at your plan in due course.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the help so far. I guess I want to achieve a good representation within the limitation of making them work. 
yes the branch line is gwr based. The main layout is settle Carlisle based and the original plan was for the branch line to be based on the hawes line. But having spent a lot of time in Cornwall and living only 15miles for the Severn valley and GSWR  a little bit of magic has been employed and it now exits a tunnel into GWR land. So the mainline junction station is MR and the halt and other station are GWR. 
I have attached the plan for the branch section to start me off. Thanks again 

Edited by lankyandy
I apologise for asking.

• RMweb Premium
On 29/08/2020 at 14:59, Stephen Freeman said:

Are we talking preserved GWR as you mentioned SVR? In any event a lot depends on what you expect to achieve. For the best results you need to choose something from such as the range from Wizard Models, which can be further detailed. Whether you DIY or commission.

I think Mike R (aka The Stationmaster) will be along to look at your plan in due course.

While plenty of folk on here are happy to advise / refine / tailor things to individual companies , I would always urge those seeking signalling help to have a go themselves first. Yes it means putting in some work to understand the basics of signalling, but  I do feel its rather selfish to plonk a track diagram on here and effectively say ' signal it for me'.

• Like 1