Faller 120275 Segment Turntable (3 Way) Kit with Servo II

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Sturminster_Newton said:

Is this an affordable way forward?

https://www.osbornsmodels.com/faller-120275-segment-turntable-3-way-kit-with-servo-ii-39402-p.asp

Not ultra cheap but a possible answer to the prayers of many?

Any thoughts, and does anyone use one?

That appears to be out of stock. Noch do one as well   https://www.reynaulds.com/products/Noch/66250.aspx  bit dearer though:o. Perhaps someone does a 3d printed one. Simon

One of these two kits featured in an article in Model Rail but it looks like my copy of the magazine has not survived one of my clear outs. I also seem to remember some discussion on real-life examples possibly on RMweb.

Checking on the Model Rail Index featured on The UK Model Shop Directory, the Noch version featured in issues 177/178/185 from 2013. I could have sworn I saw it in a mag from the last couple of years, in a feature on fiddle yards(?). It says that a layout featuring it is in issue 185.

If you search in RMweb for segment turntable there are mentions of it being launched in 2016. I'm confused.

I'd agree they are a bit niche so possibly not the first item on the modeller's hit list, once you can find a supplier with stock.

Putting the muddlers lateral think head on.

It would be possible to kit bash the Airfix/Dapol unit to suit a similar duty, chop off the bridge to include the pivot and only use an arc of the supplied moulded track should allow it to swing smaller tank locos a la Bembridge, North Woolwich and other's.

If you can work out that bit of plastic engineering dropping it into a custom baseboard 'well' should not be too challenging.

The track electrics should also be somewhat easier as the unit is only turning an arc so would not need wipers and split rings.

I think Paul Lunn postulated the modified Dapol Turntable for use as a road/rail swing bridge on one of his layout designs.

• RMweb Premium

I managed to purchase the Faller kit some months ago, it’s still in its shrink wrapping.

Im hoping to build a Quay/Harbour layout which will incorporate it.

It will act as substitute for a couple of points to some low relief warehouse and as a engine release from the incoming goods line.

Well at least that is the theory and all to be housed on a 60” * 18” Tim Horn baseboard 

All I need now is a suitable plan.

All ideas and plans welcome 

Terry