Making it up in Menorca!

This weekend I’ve put together the finishing touches on one of the most enjoyable pieces of modelling I’ve ever done. 

493E88A0-B1EC-49B9-9B63-842A460ECFD5.jpeg.4d5e92e7420306cd8bf2328764b27118.jpeg

Using the Petite Properties Harper’s Yard kit as a base, I’ve gone far away from Britain, inspired by a photo on a Menorcan Instagram account I follow. Initially, it was just planned as a building, but I’m beginning to think that a ‘what if’ line on Menorca might be a way forwards. I’ve chosen Menorca as it’s our favourite destination and so, why not?

The construction was fairly straightforward and makes use of Wills limewashed stone plastic sheet (sprayed in Halfords white primer which is an excellent paint) and their terracotta tiling too. The doors and fittings are roughly painted to indicate wear and tear, coming from the Petite kit (with hinges made from slithers of painted paper) and the finishing touch on top of the roof was terracotta coloured air dry clay.

All that is needed is a very (very) light weathering and I’d love to add a few vivid plants, much like those seen in Binibeca.

I’ve really enjoyed this build and am looking forward to creating a layout for it but, for now, attention will turn to an 00 micro in a box whilst I further research and plan my Menorcan line.

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 years later...

Hola! After collecting buildings for Northern Portugal metre gauge (for which rolling stock is a challenge) and other buildings for a South American HOe freelance, I realised that the Venn diagram overlap was huge and I really only needed a HOm FEVE layout to meet most of my needs. I've gone for a fictitious island, maybe more Canarian. Only about 10% of my collected items are likely to go to waste, and I can now run my Portuguese stock on the final layout (Rule 1).

FEVE is very well served in later eras by many 3D print bodies and a few RTR railcars and diesels. 

With so much stuff already collected, progress will be quick I hope.

• Like 1