Split Level Chassis to DCC Sound

Tallpaul69

Yes, quite a while ago I put sound in J39s, V2s and an A4 All the DCC elements were in the tender, plenty of room inside. Some of the split chassis models have pickups on the bogie wheels, so easy to extract power from the chassis. Motors are easily isolated soldering wires to the motor then covering in heat shrink. A V1/3 tank was converted simply by using the space in the water tanks and placing the speaker in the bunker. Again this model has pickups on the pony wheels.

In some cases its possible to separate the chassis just enough to wire up and isolate the motor without totally separation the chassis block. It's fun getting them re-assembled without a jig or whatever they used in the factory.

If the loco doesn't have an obvious way of getting power from the chassis block then I drill a hole and use a crankpin or small screw from DCC Concepts. These can be soldered to; the chassis blocks resist all attempts at accepting solder.

Unfortunately no photos, and all the locos bar the J39 have been upgraded to the more recent DCC ready versions.

Hint - before running do not fully tighten the chassis - I like to run the loco with the screws that separate the chassis halves slightly loose, same goes for the underbody keeper plate. Let the mechanism run in a bit then tighten it up.

• RMweb Gold

On 27/08/2020 at 19:16, Tallpaul69 said:

Does anyone have any experience of successfully converting Bachmann Split Chassis Locos to DCC Sound?

Does this help, decoder and speaker in the loco.  Hornby tender chassis added for additional pickups. The photos are not very clear.

IMG_2771.JPG.1c9f4634d4ab0594c4024f2ba2f5dfcc.JPG

IMG_2772.JPG.37aa4567e8ed428af441bee55a49f07e.JPG

• Thanks 1