Scalescenes wishlist

1 hour ago, KingEdwardII said:

. . . . it looks to me almost like scratchbuilding from generic Scalescenes materials to get something close to the original. 

Yep, that is an option if you want an exact replica, and perhaps one worth considering if bashing an existing kit won't provide you with what you want. And there are a lot of scratch-build aids available to assist and simplify the task.

Hi,

I have built 25 different Scalescenes kits, some of them several times, I am a great fan of the flexibility and detail that is on offer. Particularly, as I am in Australia where the download and print works brilliantly for me - I use a cost effective printer!, 125gm paper and I spray the finished building with artists fixative spray - it keeps the cockroaches from eating the paper (I have had to ref-ace various things before).

Recently I have been building a canal where I now have 5 boats and 3 locks, some empty and some full, two are in a staircase, I have managed to scratch build and adapt the lock kit and boats to create something I like but I think the lock / boat kit could be improved a bit by:

. Separating the boats and lock into two separate kits

. Making the lock kit cater for both double and single locks

. Allowing for both full and empty locks (empty have higher sides running the whole length of the lock

. Having gate paddles on the top and bottom gates rather than just ground paddles

( I used the brown brick from the scratch build yard as empty lock sides)

Otherwise, I think the Scalescene kits are great, today I re-faced a Metcalf Settle and Carlisle station building with random ashlar to make it look much nicer...

Regards

Andrew

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

My wish is for buildings and structures based on the Settle and Carlise. Midland type stations, platform buildings, station masters house, stone walls,  signal boxes, engine and goods sheds etc. I know Hornby made the resin version and Metcalfe do versions but they are either expensive or not on the same level as Scalescenes kits. Drawings are readily available and most buildings/structures still survive so colour matching might not be so much of a challenge. 

• Agree 1

Is it not possible to work on the existing models to improve details and raise them to the "same level as Scalescenes kits" with a little modelling effort? It would save ending up with another copy-cat me-too range.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, grahame said:

Is it not possible to work on the existing models to improve details and raise them to the "same level as Scalescenes kits" with a little modelling effort? It would save ending up with another copy-cat me-too range.

For the station building, I ended up scratchbuilding one using Slaters plasticard over a card shell. Building previous Scalescenes kit really helped me understand how to construct one and his kits were invaluable in building up my confidence. It worked, but I am sure John would have come up with a much better kit design, with colour matched stonework etc. 

I am building a generic station master's house but using the Lock Keepers Cottage kit as a basis as its the only detached house Scalescenes do and it might just work. I am cladding it with Slaters plasticard to match the station.

I still think there is potential in developing a range like this suitable for most modelers who model the S&C or Midland region. Likewise for GWR/LNER/Southern who all had their own designs.

Yes, absolutely.  I have made numerous Lcut buildings in 0 gauge using Scalescenes techniques.  I face the walls with brick and use the Scalescenes roof method.

Here's a Lcut station building:

P1010115.JPG.6ed7c2dbc577e3315237d6d329af6b63.JPG

Gutter hoppers are ModelU.  I made corner pillars to hide the joins.

Lcut Signal box:

P1010132.JPG.1bba022754926abe79eee64ef8e040fa.JPG

The levers are from Severn Models.

Here is my Station Masters house from Fine Scale Buildings (no longer with us sadly):

P1010199.JPG.77a156bfa0cad6dd93f283efdfe0eab1.JPG

Windows and doors scratchbuilt (very tedious).

Lcut weighbridge:

P1010122.JPG.807693ed086b732ec829c0684e42f76c.JPG

All great fun.

John

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

11 minutes ago, SteveyDee68 said:

@brossard I assume you print the Scalescenes textures at 175% onto A3 paper for 7mm scale? If so, any pitfalls you can report? 

Steve S

I do print at 175% Steve, but as I'm in Canada, I use 8.5"x11" paper.  No particular problems and as you go you get more practiced.  The PDF "take a snapshot" feature in the Edit menu is useful.  I can select the bit of the print I want.  Occasionally I need to splice so that requires the tongue in the side of mouth.

John

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, brossard said:

Occasionally I need to splice so that requires the tongue in the side of mouth.

Exactly the technique I used when "editing" sound on reel to reel tape back in the late 1980s!! :lol:

Steve S

PS

Also applicable to wrong-handed application of plasters to razor blade cuts - see above!

Edited by SteveyDee68
Remembered the injuries!
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Very nice buildings there John!! Very impressive and look way more realistic than mine!! I have just built the Lcut Lattice footbridge which i am quite pleased with. I have built quite a few Scalescenes kits and used their textures, but the next batch are at the front of the layout and i do like a bit of relief!!! 

I thought about texture, but I think you can get away with it for brick.  The Scalescenes brick looks way better than I can do and quick too.  If you were to do stone structures it might be a different story.

I have more or less settled on a "nice" standard, rather than uber realistic.  Some people do realistic brilliantly but when building a layout solo, some shortcuts are needed I think.

John

• Like 1