Scalescenes wishlist

2.Paddle steamer, of the sort used for Channel and excursion traffic - again the 1890-1950s period is appopriate.

Thanks

The Medway Queen Preservation Society sell modellers' plans of the MQ. Perhaps there's an opportunity here for a joint venture between Scalescenes and MQPS with the proceeds going towards the restoration project.

Just a thought.

The Medway Queen has the look of a lakeland pleasure craft to her along the lines of Teal and Swan before re-fit (or possibly the older versions of the current vessels) although the Medway Queen obviously has her paddle boxes but she'd be suitable to more than just a riverside or estuary setting, especially if the paddle boxes could be made optional allowing for a paddle steamer or steam yacht.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I'd very much like to see a blog or feature on the development of a kit. A kind of start to finish look into how John (and his team) actually designs it all - without giving away too many of his secrets of course. For example, I've always liked the idea of how the different elements of a kit sometimes line up to make cutting them out less onerous. Also, I tend to use standard mounting board and cereal packet card yet the models still somehow fit together perfectly despite the recommendations to use specific thickness for different elements - is this tolerance built in, or have I just been lucky etc? I also use standard PVA glue (not glue sticks) from a bottle and Artist's Matt varnish for everything - find that you don't get bubbles this way and it also makes the models incredibly robust once dry - is this something anyone else has found?

One last question - when's the GWR station going to be done?

Regards,

Mike.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

One last question - when's the GWR station going to be done?

Regards,

Mike.

According to the Scalescenes web site, it's Staverton, which is a completely non standard one-off, even though it's nice.

• 2 weeks later...

can i add another to the wish list, pretty please.

would dearly love a coaling stage, something ramshackle, a mix and match of stuff, perhaps some corrugated panels...oh i know...the one at guildford...now this would be awesome.

as an aside, someone mentioned georgian terrace, this would be good, with an option for basements, typical of sussex seaside towns?

Edited by theoldmansminion
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yes Black sheep you can scale up from 00 but you have to select each part of the 00 drawing and then enlarge by 175% it's all a bit of a fiddle to complete.

I have done it as have others but I was hoping that the drawings could be up scaled at source so I could just print them out. It would mean that the drawing layouts would be different but it would be quicker for me.

I've found that most scale up parts will fit on an A4 sheet but where they won't it's easy enough to mask the join, even better if you have access to an A3 printer as there will be less joins to mask if any.

So really what I am saying is could John make his drawings based on A3 for 0 gauge, he'd have to enlarge by 175% but make them fit onto A3 paper. Then all I would need to do is select 0 gauge version and print out my A3 sheets.

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies if this has already been mentioned

How about some of those herring bone pattern brick sheets. The type everyone seems to use for turning their front gardens into carparks. You these these everywhere nowadays and i noticed that they are using them to surface some of the platforms on the WCML. They would make a pleasant change from tatty tarmac!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

John, I don't know if you have been asked this before but a CLASP modular station building would be fab, any chance?

I have spent waaaay too much time here after London Irish matches & events!

In honesty having built a fair number of John's kits now I would attempt a scratchbuild of anything like that. I'm just putting the finishing touches to a trial build of my favourite country pub (The Bell Inn at Aldworth, Berks):

bde4c6ea0624ab8fd9adf7c9ffa73a8f.jpg

I got to this stage in about eight hours using Scalescenes techniques & brick/tile papers, a few pictures from a phone camera, some basic pacing out & my memory:

2014184050105707705vFGTPx_th.jpg

OK it's a bit rough & ready, but it is my first bash & as yet incomplete!

• Like 2

A nice Edwardian brick tramway depot with 'Corporation Electric Car Depot' above the door; preferably in 7mm. :-) Many of these were reused as bus depots are were still working as such in the 60s and 70s, and a few survive, often in alternative employment. So it would fit any urban scene from 1900 to 2012.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...