Scalescenes wishlist

Well, as someone with precisely one Scalescenes kit build and one Scalescenes scratch build under my belt, I hope I will be forgiven for pointing out that Scalescenes manufacture kits, and that this is a wish-list thread for kits, though I daresay it would encompass requests for new textures as well.

I found that my scratch build was facilitated by adapting textures from the kits as well as using 'stand-alone' texture sheets.

The particular advantage of the downloadable medium is that it is adaptable, so much so that it can be practically difficult to draw the line between modifying a kit and scratch building using its components. 

What aids the process is an ever-greater variety of kits.  So, wish-away, say I.  

• RMweb Gold

I'm looking for an Engine shed that might be seen on a small branch or light railway - yet everything seems to be brick built, which to my mind seems too "solid" a structure for something like that.

Would it possible to alter the existing small engine shed kit to have clapboard or corrugated construction, both of which textures are already available in the scalescenes range?

One brick paper that I would like to see added to the available selection is the red sandstone as used to build Glasgow Tenaments.

Jim

Have you seen this site? ( no connection)

http://www.paperbrick.co.uk/index.php?action=home

• Like 1

What aids the process is an ever-greater variety of kits.  So, wish-away, say I.  

Sorry for my off-topic comment, Edwardian.  I've just become such a fan of scratch building, whether of "real" locations or freelance!

C&WR, not at all, and, on reflection I should probably apologise to you.  I felt compelled to say something to mitigate the potentially discouraging effect of your remarks upon kit-requesters(!), but it was neither subtle, nor elegant, and it was certainly not my place to say anything really.  I suspect that you and I are pretty much ad idem where Scalescenes and scratch building are concerned and I would always cite your work as a great example of how to use the kits and textures to create some great and original stuff.  

• Like 1

it's good to encourage scratch building, but some people need to undertake a number of builds before having the courage to start cutting and creating, others get half way through building a terrace house and finish up with Downton Abbey! 

as has been said, the more kits, the more starting points :)

• Agree 1

Thanks, chaps.  It is undoubted that without Scalescenes (which strangely enough I discovered via an Army website in a thread about wargaming) I would never have got back into model railways, or certainly not as quickly.  I certainly wouldn't be scratchbuilding as I am now.

• Like 2

Think a Queen Anne period house might be a first.  A good choice.  With the steeply pitched overhanging roofs, they relate to vernacular architecture better than the Georgian or Regency 'Box'. Also, there are plenty of small country houses in this style, which makes them a useful subject.

The stone-built Jacobean style I posted was made up from Bilteezi sheets and is taken from the Freestone website (Freestone still supply the Bilteezi sheets - great artwork and very adaptable).

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

can i ask for something simple please...

can you re-arrange/revise the layout of your roads, bought a set last week and i'm going to have an awful lot of waste (of ink too)

pavement 1 - OK

pavement 2 - OK

Tarmac 1 -remove the city and arrows from the left hand road, that would then give you 2 "normal" roads on one sheet, i've had to adapt the one way to be able to use it as a 2 way street

Tarmac 2 - ive not used so can't suggest how to change it

Tarmac 3 - again a wasted road for me on it as i've no use for the "red route" but i need yellow lines, so have to print out an unused road (unless i adapt it but i want to avoid real life cut and paste), how about single  a sheet of yellow lined road, possibly one side with the lines continuing to the end of the print to be able to join them up with minimal waste

Tarmac 4 - used these elements without issue, however (being i dont know road marking protocol that well) would the zebra crossing have any side lines leading up to it, i have had to cut some off the edges of Tarmac 1 

Tarmac 5 - yet to use these but will be later this afternoon

Tarmac 6, could these have kerbside markings added too

Plain Tarmac - OK

Edited by big jim

There is sort of a way of doing this with the pdf software.

If you zoom and resize the window to the element you want to print then when you go to print, select current view and make sure fit to margins, scaling and centring are all false and it will just print the selected element, you can then turn the paper and run it back through to add more to avoid wasting paper if the element allows.

• 1 month later...

Re T034 Roads and Pavements

Is there any chance of getting these available with road markings suitable for 1950s/early-60s? i.e. before the wholesale change to the current signs and markings...

Edited by talisman56
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Any chance of reintroducing the T022 terraced houses? I've lost my file in a computer change.

It's listed in Upcoming Kits as "Updated Small Terraced Houses", so presumably just temporarily unavailable until the new version is ready. A bit frustrating if you need it now though. I thought I might need it, but it looks as though I don't fortunately.

http://scalescenes.com/upcoming-kits/

• RMweb Gold

It's listed in Upcoming Kits as "Updated Small Terraced Houses", so presumably just temporarily unavailable until the new version is ready. A bit frustrating if you need it now though. I thought I might need it, but it looks as though I don't fortunately.

http://scalescenes.com/upcoming-kits/

So it does. I have not checked the "Upcoming kits" for some time. It will provide a bit a variety with the row of cottages.