Scalescenes wishlist

• RMweb Premium

Wider span bridges please.

The current N Gauge concrete bridge and brick/stone viaducts don't quite have the span for the river I want to cross. Using OO equivalents might be an option but there's the problem of the brick size.

Happy modelling,

Steven B.

A sports ground of some description. For example football ground with proper terracing, a cricket ground such as Old Trafford, an athletics stadium. We seem to have lots of other buildings but little on the sporting front. Probably because of the size of such stadiums people don't really model them. Even if we couldn't have stands and things like that what about a pavillion and scorebox?

Can I second the request for Southern Railway and BR(S) "Odeon" style station buildings and maybe a "Glasshouse" signal box.

Anyone modelling the immediate post war scene is also likely to need pre-fab housing.

There were two or three different styles and they were usually found in small groups, between 4 and 40 at a time.

• Agree 1

Can I second the request for Southern Railway and BR(S) "Odeon" style station buildings and maybe a "Glasshouse" signal box.

Anyone modelling the immediate post war scene is also likely to need pre-fab housing.

There were two or three different styles and they were usually found in small groups, between 4 and 40 at a time.

Preserved example at http://www.avoncroft.org.uk/sitemap.asp near Bromsgrove.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Scratch builders sheets available in landscape (brick courses running parallel to long edge of A4 sheet) and same sheets but to fill A3 paper (again, landscape and portrate versions).

Both would allow bigger structures to be built without having to worry quite so much about matching the joints of the standard sheets.

Happy modelling

Steven B.

Scratch builders sheets available in landscape (brick courses running parallel to long edge of A4 sheet) and same sheets but to fill A3 paper (again, landscape and portrate versions).

Both would allow bigger structures to be built without having to worry quite so much about matching the joints of the standard sheets.

That sounds like a great idea and one that wouldn't be too diificult for John to create I guess.

John, have you ever considered just doing straight backscenes for layouts? I mentioned a modular backscene idea on the first page, but even urban-based backscenes that weren't modular would be useful. The old Townscene ones were good but they're getting on in years now, and the Peco ones are as old as the hills (and look poor these days, partly due to over-familiarity). I know a lot of people go for photographic backscenes now, but personally they never look quite right to me. I'd be interested in some urban backscenes that had artwork to the same standard as your kits, and from a commercial perspective there's nothing on the market at the moment for this really - even the Townscenes ones aren't as widely available as they used to be.

Printing might be the only issue (trying to join all those A4 sheets together), but this was one reason why I suggested the modular approach.

• Like 1

A few simple items I would like added to the scalescenes range:

* Nissan huts

* Continental style station building

* country cottages/bothies

* Field shelters

* Mine workings

* Brewery / Factory

* Older style warehouses

* Bulk cargo ship (this may be a version of your container ship...)

* Postwar prefab buildings

Think that will do for now.

J

John, have you ever considered just doing straight backscenes for layouts? I mentioned a modular backscene idea on the first page, but even urban-based backscenes that weren't modular would be useful. The old Townscene ones were good but they're getting on in years now, and the Peco ones are as old as the hills (and look poor these days, partly due to over-familiarity). I know a lot of people go for photographic backscenes now, but personally they never look quite right to me. I'd be interested in some urban backscenes that had artwork to the same standard as your kits, and from a commercial perspective there's nothing on the market at the moment for this really - even the Townscenes ones aren't as widely available as they used to be.

Printing might be the only issue (trying to join all those A4 sheets together), but this was one reason why I suggested the modular approach.

Hi Dave if you look at Johns South Oak Road layout thread via Scale Scenes site about half way down,you will find a couple of sky scenes that john took and you can download,i used them on my boxfile layout with futher building landscape etc,stook to it.You can get match with A4 sheets but joint can be seen.

Another site has more sky scapes and landscapes some of which may be of use www.cgtextures.com . I know what you mean about some photo backgrounds but you can alter the lighting and mute the colours with programs like photoshop.Hope this is of use.

Tel

Hi Dave if you look at Johns South Oak Road layout thread via Scale Scenes site about half way down,you will find a couple of sky scenes that john took and you can download,i used them on my boxfile layout with futher building landscape etc,stook to it.You can get match with A4 sheets but joint can be seen.

Another site has more sky scapes and landscapes some of which may be of use www.cgtextures.com . I know what you mean about some photo backgrounds but you can alter the lighting and mute the colours with programs like photoshop.Hope this is of use.

Tel

Thanks for the info Tel, I've had the cgtextures website in my favourites for a while now, but the key bit was 'urban based backscenes'. Sky and landscapes have been available for years, it was the more urban-based work of John's that I was interested in.

John, I don't know if you have been asked this before but a CLASP modular station building would be fab, any chance?

Finest concrete (and now and then asbestos) 1960s

Some more useful info and profiles at:

http://www.scapebuild.co.uk/downloads/RBS_IDGuide.PDF?PHPSESSID=87c84525f32f3c8947aa7b731b119981

And some more handy diagrams in the asbestos alert

http://www.scapebuild.co.uk/downloads/Formal_Notice.pdf

I really like the modular backscene idea - most people can manage some sky painted but to be able to add "flats" of urban scenes like runs of terrace backs, factories, warehouses - whatever you typically see/saw out of the train window would be great (there is a US firm that does something similar but not for download and obviously US prototypes) or even buildings suitable for a more rural scene.

Obviuosly many/most of the exiting kits can be used in this way but I was thinking of something a bit simpler - cut and paste basically!

Thanks again for all the great suggestions, keep them coming!

I think that a CLASP style station building would make a great Scalescenes kit (I'd love one for my 70's layout too!). A definite addition to my 'to do list!'.

In a similar vein I also like the idea of including 1960's 'panel style' modular school buildings with the brick build old school building kit that I have planned for next year.

After a number of requests I have shuffled the Low relief terraced house backs up the list so that they should be out later this year. I'll also look into trying to incorporate some some backscene elements into this kit too.

I know a lot of modellers are pretty keen for some billboards/advertising signs so I have included a sheet in my new Arched bridge kit (as well as my existing Bridge abutments kit). Included are a number of billboards and advertising signs that are suitable for eras ranging from pre-war to the present. In the coming months I'll also expand on this range to create a separate Billboard/advertising pack.

Happy modelling!

John

• Like 1

I'd like to see a tall factory backing onto the railway tracks. e.g. BSA on the WR line, at Small Heath, Birmingham. Tall enough to be a good view blocker. Fire escape balconies on each floor with metal stairs connecting them. North roof lights, lots of grime and dirty windows. I will then model a chef in his whites on the fire escape watching a Castle and train of chocolate and cream coaches headed towards Snow Hill in August 1962 (me).

Richard Davies

Utah, USA

I think that a CLASP style station building would make a great Scalescenes kit (I'd love one for my 70's layout too!). A definite addition to my 'to do list!'.

Great news!

Look forward to it John, no pressure on time, any point within the next fortnight will be fine! biggrin.gif

• Funny 1

Georgian terrace houses both low relief & full size. I think a modular type back scene with old warehouses & tenement backs from the 1930's to 1960's would be excellent. I could see these selling like hot cakes as each modeler could create his own individual back scene & because no two would be the same would be in great demand.:good_mini:

As a scratch-builder I'd like some 'planks of wood joined together' to make fences, wooden door carcases, crates, in narrow and wide configurations, perhaps regular 6" boards, some random width boards, wagon floors etc. Anyone else like this idea? Or some generally 'woody' sheets!

Doug