PUNTA BRAVA - RENFE HO - Adventures in Spanish Modelling

Geep7

• RMweb Gold

20210713_181848.jpg.f7cf7cf8c7bf16c504dc663f6379e05f.jpg

Here is the wall I've been working on over the past couple of days, ready for painting. It's 2 layers of mount board, overlaid with slaters brick and microstrip for the concrete. The fencing is from Scale Model Scenery. It's 4mm scale, but I thought it looked nicely ornate for this application.

Edited by Geep7
  • Like 7

That looks an interesting layout to operate, and I like what you have do so far.

My holiday visits to Europe, (and the Med) have been few and far between and I am not at all familiar with the railway network.  I do not remember seeing many Spanish based layouts at the exhibitions I have attended, nor many  Mediterranean based layouts. However on the rare occasion I have seen a Med based layout at an exhibition they seem to have captured the seaside atmosphere very well. More than once I have said to a layout owner or operator that I could quite fancy a pint sitting outside the railway hotel bar enjoying the view! So a layout like this is probably one I would spend time watching.

cheers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

It's been a couple of weeks since my last update, and not long after my last post, I painted and glue in place the end wall.

20210713_181848.jpg.22718fe223e981788831d24e2f0ed53f.jpg

I then had a couple of weeks where I didn't do anything on the layout, a combination of DIY and the hot weather sapping my mojo a bit. However, over the weekend it had cooled down enough to actually concentrate on some modelling, so i've made a start on the catenary.

20210725_160919.jpg.af61ec5251f7d93839c2722cfbc6274f.jpg

Here are 2 of the cross=spans, loosely made up. They are based on the Scale Model Scenery laser-cut kits (https://www.scalemodelscenery.co.uk/lx050-oo-mix--match-laser-cut-catenary-ohle-masts--headspans-oo4mm176-1810-p.asp), no connection, just very happen with the product.

They are being slightly modified to look a bit more Spanish, removing the last part of the girders and downwards spar which attach to the masts. And extension piece will be added to masts with guy wires added to support the spans, turning them into a more canterlevered style.  They're not 100% Spanish, but I think they look OK. I have debated whether to cut each mast down the middle and modifiy them to taper to the top as per the prototype, but i'm not sure if this risks making them less robust.

20210726_141841.jpg.84163f12bd6a4a76cd5ad4bd01a8f483.jpg

This is the latest span i've made, and a just over 1ft wide, it's the longest span on the layout. The mast on the right has had to be recessed into the retaining wall, and to make something different, I thought I would create a concrete base for the mast. Actually, the real reason is that I had mistakenly cut this mast too short to mount it on the station platform for the first span, so had to find a way to use it, as I had no spares..... although i've now ordered some more masts to make the extension pieces, the best laid plans......

I have 7 more spans to make up, which will take some time, as each one is a different width. I then need to design the hangers for the wires, which will be fully scratchbuilt from brass. I'm still not sure if i'm going to add the catenary wires between the mast spans straight away, as each one is going to be unique. It's not going to be functional anyway, with the pantographs tied down, so they are just below wire height and i'm hoping the viewers brain will fill in the missing wires for now, but I will get round to it at some point.

I'll sign off this update with the photograph that started this all.....

spacer.png

A RENFE Class 440 EMU arriving at Blanes station, Summer 1986, Photograph taken by M. Chinery.

Edited by Geep7
Re-inserting images
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Layout looking superb! Well done.

i can almost feel the Spanish sunshine.

I used the same catenary on one of my Swiss layouts (Spiez in the Swiss part of this forum). It worked well. I still have yet to install the wires.

Your trick of positioning the pantograph just below the wire is what I use too.

Peter

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, swisspeat said:

Layout looking superb! Well done.

i can almost feel the Spanish sunshine.

I used the same catenary on one of my Swiss layouts (Spiez in the Swiss part of this forum). It worked well. I still have yet to install the wires.

Your trick of positioning the pantograph just below the wire is what I use too.

Peter

Thank you for your kind words. Will go and check out your layout and how you did the catenary.

• RMweb Gold

I've spent a couple of evenings this week working on another of the mast spans, but this evening, I thought I would finish one of the spans and add the additional height and stays.

20210730_203829.jpg.3a5992efe889d4ab87cbd82aa45756e5.jpg

Here it is on the workbench. The support cables are just over 1mm thick, which is possibly a little overscale, but has made them much stronger.

20210730_203917.jpg.0ebfd37c7a5c152fb26e320ab73f85ff.jpg

20210730_203949.jpg.ea55173416ec0ea09a6ac986b7b2d454.jpg

And here it is in position on the layout. I still have to do the wire hangers, which I need to draw up to scale, but I have a rough drawing done.

20210730_205957.jpg.f07088cab0cf807b0b8893bee4a3b5de.jpg

After some research, there are 2 versions, which alternate on each mast. I've drawn a double version for each, but there will be single versions as well.

And last, but not least, an evening spent modelling requires some appropriate refreshment.

20210730_204131.jpg.9f0910e5cc2a0a80297d18fa3c19390b.jpg

Edited by Geep7
  • Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Not a huge amount of progress to show this week, but I have been progressing further with the catenary headspans.

But I have come up with an idea for a layout name. After playing around with variations of various Catalan coastal towns, I thought why not go simple, so we have:

Pueblojunto De Mar

I'm not sure if this is totally correct, but it roughly means Sea Town in Spanish. 

Edited by Geep7

1 hour ago, Geep7 said:

Not a huge amount of progress to show this week, but I have been progressing further with the catenary headspans.

But I have come up with an idea for a layout name. After playing around with variations of various Catalan coastal towns, I thought why not go simple, so we have:

Pueblojunto De Mar

I'm not sure if this is totally correct, but it roughly means Sea Town in Spanish. 

As it is, it means together town in Spanish and of the sea on Catalan.

Dependent on your era, you may want have the name in both languages

In Catalan it is likely to be Cuitat de Mar

In Spanish, there needs to be an "el" in there as the noun is el mar. That would make it Pueblo del Mar or Ciudad del Mar

Up to the late 70's and early 80's it would only be in Spanish. The nearer your era is to the present, the more likely you are to see both.

John

Edited by sulzer27jd
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
On 07/08/2021 at 14:51, sulzer27jd said:

As it is, it means together town in Spanish and of the sea on Catalan.

Dependent on your era, you may want have the name in both languages

In Catalan it is likely to be Cuitat de Mar

In Spanish, there needs to be an "el" in there as the noun is el mar. That would make it Pueblo del Mar or Ciudad del Mar

Up to the late 70's and early 80's it would only be in Spanish. The nearer your era is to the present, the more likely you are to see both.

John

Thanks for the pointers John. I did wonder if I had started to mix up Spanish and Catalan. That'll teach me to trust Google Translate. :D

Should have realised that with places i've visited like Lloret De Mar and Tossa De Mar. Looking at the map, there are quite a few 'de mar' places on the coast around Barcelona, but only one 'del mar' near Benicassim.... Looks like I need to find something that will work with De Mar in Catalan.

• Agree 1

Pueblo in Catalan is Poble as in Poble Nou, a district to the north of Barcelona.

Once known as Pueblo Nuevo, it was where the Olympic village was built for the 1992 Games but before that it was home to some railway activity in the form of Talgo workshops and a station.

Barcelona Poble nou, enero de 1985

1978OCT26JSLO0396cs

So maybe Poble de Mar or Poblet de Mar?

HTH.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 11/08/2021 at 11:25, McGomez said:

Pueblo in Catalan is Poble as in Poble Nou, a district to the north of Barcelona.

Once known as Pueblo Nuevo, it was where the Olympic village was built for the 1992 Games but before that it was home to some railway activity in the form of Talgo workshops and a station.

Barcelona Poble nou, enero de 1985

1978OCT26JSLO0396cs

So maybe Poble de Mar or Poblet de Mar?

HTH.

I must have travelled through Poble Nou when I visited Barcelona the first time. By the second time though they had already built the Olympic Village, so we ended up in Barcelona Sants instead of Franca. There is a station on one of the metro lines (I forget which number, 5 maybe?) named Poble Sec which is in the Poble Nou area I think. I've looked up Poble Sec, and it means Dry Village, I guess due to most of it being reclaimed from the sea, but I wonder if those that live there are much fun at parties :D. Great photos btw.

Edited by Geep7
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Geep7 said:

I must have travelled through Poble Nou when I visited Barcelona the first time. By the second time though they had already built the Olympic Village, so we ended up in Barcelona Sants instead of Franca. There is a station on one of the metro lines (I forget which number, 5 maybe?) named Poble Sec which is in the Pobe Nou area I think. I've looked up Poble Sec, and it means Dry Village, I guess due to most of it being reclaimed form the sea, but I wonder if those that live there are much fun at parties :D. Great photos btw.

I lived/worked in Barcelona 92 to 94 so didn´t get to see the railway as per the photos which aren´t mine by the way but I now work for a company whose offices are bordering Poble Nou so know the area a bit.

Back then I worked on the opposite side of the road (El Parallel) to Poble Sec which is to the south of the centre, moreorless on the hillside below where the Olympic diving events were held so not too sure of the meaning of the word Sec in this instance?

I´ll ask my boss.

Nice looking layout by the way. You´ve nailed the look of the station building.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, McGomez said:

Nice looking layout by the way. You´ve nailed the look of the station building.

Thanks, I think i've mentioned it before, but it's loosely based on Blanes.

spacer.png

This file is under the Creative Commons Generic Attribution / Share-Alike 2.0 license .

I just need to paint it now before adding the doors and windows, but i'm having trouble finding a good brick colour. I'm not sure the red in the above photo would translate very well into model form, unless I can find the right shade.....

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Geep7 said:

I just need to paint it now before adding the doors and windows, but i'm having trouble finding a good brick colour

I know how you feel about the colour - I went through a few variations building my model 'inspired' by Sagunto. I had photos of Ontinyent in the colour I wanted, but matching it to the model too some time.

Ontinyent station.JPG

Mixed paint 5.JPG

My first choice just had too much purple...

Edited by ellocoloco
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Not a huge amount to report this time around, as i've been away for a few days in Dorset. Having packed the layout away before going (I can only erect the baseboards in the living room), i'm finding it a little bit difficult to get motivation to work on the layout without the baseboards being in view, especially when building the catenary. 

However, while I was away I did pop into a couple of model shops, and ended up buying a very cheap second-hand Wiking Mercedes "bendy-bus", which I am currently repainting into a livery inspired by the Barcelona TMB livery. I'll post some pictures once it's finished.

Whilst I was down that way, I thought it would be a bit rude not to pop down to Seaton and visit Pecorama at Beer, for a little bit of inspiration. As i've already mentioned elsewhere in this thread, the model railway exhibition at Pecorama is home to Shirley Rowe's superb Spanish layout Catalunya. I took a few photos while I was there which I thought I might share with you. It still has it's 'day & night' lighting feature working, but I took all my photo's during the day period. I hope you all find this inspirational too.

20210818_113217.jpg.8def1270836858191e8f18d8cd08e88e.jpg

20210818_113230.jpg.29d4c6bb23037b49de384fa3624d96e5.jpg

20210818_114022.jpg.0400802c8ac2f7246e0421576865920a.jpg

20210818_114031.jpg.880b69a352ce82471a6eb6cfae50c53f.jpg

20210818_114037.jpg.1aab8f31833ad04c43172ff983ebac90.jpg

20210818_114046.jpg.8cc07aab05ef4ca5cd38382a6e4575ad.jpg

20210818_114058.jpg.ee61bdbab94b902c1b608a9ea97af319.jpg

20210818_114115.jpg.55302bfdcef0f564f2e1edcc9bf4a8bc.jpg

20210818_114141.jpg.094800315f726d493e4370763d9823b1.jpg

What I have learnt though, is that rather than just being based on Sant Pol De Mar, the town is inspired by the various town's along the northern coast from Barcelona.

I was very interested in the church, as I am planning on modelling the rear of a church, which will be located on top of the retaining wall at the back of the layout, and I have very few photos of small Spanish town churches.

Returning to my own layout, I am still pondering over a name. It's interesting that the station on Catalunya is named Castellet de Mar, but the layout is just called Catalunya. On my website, I have a section for the layout, which I have titled "Viva Espana", but I don't think I will keep this as a permenent name. Definitely something de Mar, to tie it to the coastline. I'm sure something will come to mind eventually.

Next time I hope to have a further update on progress with the layout itself, now that it appears summer is over and the best of the weather is behind us.

Edited by Geep7
Re-inserting images
  • Like 2

For the exceptional standard of the town, I would have thought a bit more effort would have been put into the rolling stock. Coaches aside, I don't think the rest could even be classified as Renfritos! 

I'm looking forward to your bendy bus pictures.

Edited by ellocoloco
  • Agree 1

42 minutes ago, ellocoloco said:

For the exceptional standard of the town, I would have thought a bit more effort would have been put into the rolling stock. Coaches aside, I don't think the rest could even be classified as Renfritos! 

I'm looking forward to your bendy bus pictures.

That was my first thought, didn't think RENFE had any V60's (but its not my area of expertise)

Thanks,

Neil

Edited by Neils WRX
  • Agree 2

Not been to Beer since the 1980's must go back one day.

That Spanish town does look stunning !! The perspective is brilliant.

Re modelling mojo, I know what you mean, other stuff just keeps getting the way, not made any real progress on either front for the last few weeks.

Stay safe,

Neil

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, ellocoloco said:

I was holding back on mentioning it, but yes, I was rather disappointed that the freight was made up of German rolling stock. I wasn't sure whether the steam loco was Spanish outline or not, although tbh, it was circling the layout rather quickly, so difficult to tell. At least I knew the coaches were Spanish and of the right period, and actually correct for the Mataro line.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hi Chris,

You’re layout is coming on nicely I think and I do like to see the overhead coming along, bravo. I too, pin the pantographs so they look raised but have no fear of snagging and causing loads of damage.

Wrt the lovely Catalunya, I can identify an older Fleischmann “Prussian” P8 - it is quite old because the green is dreadful! I am quite sure that such colours on Fleischmann stock were phased out by the 1990s or so. Whether it’s close to anything that ever ran in Spain, I can’t say.

The only German built locos I know for sure were the Spanish “V200”s, they were lovely.

It’s been rather a long time since I visited Spain but I had some very pleasant times there and did a reasonable amount of train watching.

Cheers,

John E, occasional Prussian modeller.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

As promised, here are some pics of the bendy-bus in mock Barcelona TMB livery.

20210906_195009.jpg.1dda540283767ee57daab4b4b89a9744.jpg

20210906_195029.jpg.9e5afbcc1e914ce68d4fd97bd2dd087f.jpg

20210906_195049.jpg.9a776d31d3bc2fc9363687668cd38b67.jpg

20210906_195103.jpg.34359329545e157a78e8c38f17c6adf0.jpg

As mentioned before, this is a Wiking Mercedes bus which I picked up for £2 in Buffer's model shop whilst on holiday.

It had been painted blue and cream from it's original orange (I think) and had some sticker type transfers added. When I removed the transfers it left a sticky residue, so I attacked this with some IPA. A side-effect of this was to remove some of the old paint. A waft with some Humbrol white primer followed, and then I masked up the model and brush painted the rest. The red is Model Air (Vallejo) Vermillion, which is the right shade for Cercanias red, so thought it was appropriate.

I'm certainly a convert to Vallejo paints. The red coverage you see was pretty much achieved in a single coat. The black is Tamiya XF1. I don't know if Tamiya have changed their formulation, but their paints aren't as good as the used to be.

The models been given a coat of gloss varnish, followed by some dullcote, but still needs transfers. I'll do these on the PC and put them on over some Klear, before sealing them with Klear and another blast with the dullcote.

The only thing I'm not 100% happy with is the free-hand black lining.... hopefully it'll look OK with some weathering, or the whole bottom panel goes black.... 

Edited by Geep7
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I thought I would also share some pics of the station building, with the brickwork having had it's first initial coat. Please ignore the untidiness of my painting, I'll be masking up the brick before painting the stonework/concrete.

20210905_181224.jpg.b4ba39ec820ff9678d2dc26631d0a959.jpg

20210905_181212.jpg.1bfce865b0c4f0c6e57882bb7fc9885f.jpg

The colour I've picked is Model Air (Vallejo) Cavalry Brown, and I think it's a pretty good match. The stonework/concrete is either going to be white, or a pale sand colour, I'm undecided at the moment.

Edited by Geep7
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 03/07/2021 at 15:26, Geep7 said:

Whenever I've been to Spain, I've never seen any shunting of freight, just long block trains going from one main yard to another.

Unsurprising, RENFE pulled the plug off the wagonload network about 20 years ago or so. If you want wagonload freight activity you'll have to turn  the clock back to the 1980's or earlier, when there was still such activity.

Cheers NB

On 29/08/2020 at 15:05, Geep7 said:

Having looked at quite a few Spanish stations on Google Maps and YouTube videos, it appears there are very few true terminus stations on the RENFE network, especially in the 80's and early 90's.

Alcoy, before it was rationalized to near-death? San Juan de las Abadessas? Ayamonte? Muskiz? Vigo? There are a few choices...

Cheers NB

• Like 1