PUNTA BRAVA - RENFE HO - Spanish seaside branch terminus

Geep7

7 hours ago, Nick_Burman said:

Alcoy, before it was rationalized to near-death? San Juan de las Abadessas? Ayamonte? Muskiz? Vigo? There are a few choices...

Cheers NB

Thanks. I made my comment when my knowledge of the RENFE system wasn't as good as it is now. Lesson learnt, never base your assumptions on a Google search. I've been frequenting the Forotrenes forum rather a lot over the past 12 months, and the amount of information on there is quite overwhelming, but definitely informative. I'm still learning though.

7 hours ago, Nick_Burman said:

Unsurprising, RENFE pulled the plug off the wagonload network about 20 years ago or so. If you want wagonload freight activity you'll have to turn  the clock back to the 1980's or earlier, when there was still such activity.

Cheers NB

I suspected as much. The layout will be nominally set during the mid-80's (1985, when I first visited Spain) and the early to mid-90's (my second holiday in Spain, 1994), so hopefully this will just catch the end of the wagonload freight era. I do have a small amount of stock covering Era V/VI, but some of this will be repainted into earlier liveries to match the Era IV, early Era V period.

Dd1HuLY.jpg

This might be of help, even if it's dated 1948. Notice the thin lines denoting projected lines (which were never built) and the white lines which denoted lines under construction (some of which were never finished).

Cheers NB

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Almeria is very interesting... even has an elevated ore dock, the Cable Inglés, like the ones you can see on the American Great Lakes.  

Granada also has a nice little terminus.  

I had a most excellent holiday in that part of Spain - much more interesting than the coast, although the trudge up the hill to The Alhambra in 45c has gone down in family legend!

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

Almeria is very interesting... even has an elevated ore dock, the Cable Inglés, like the ones you can see on the American Great Lakes.  

Granada also has a nice little terminus. 

I found Almeria almost by accident on Google Maps, and noticed the ore Dock is still standing, if no longer connected. Having modelled the Great Lakes area before, it certainly caught my eye.

I've managed to find quite a few photo's of both Almeria and Granada thanks to our friends on Forotrenes. There's quite a few videos on YouTube as well....

4 hours ago, Nick_Burman said:

Dd1HuLY.jpg

That map is very useful.... I was at one point thinking of a line out onto the Ebro delta, and to find not 1 but 2 lines there from Tortosa. One going to El Cava and one to Sant Carles de la Rapita....

There is obviously Sant Feliu and Palamós up the coast the other side of Barcelona which I could also use as names too....

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Geep7 said:

That map is very useful.... I was at one point thinking of a line out onto the Ebro delta, and to find not 1 but 2 lines there from Tortosa. One going to El Cava and one to Sant Carles de la Rapita....

Tortosa - La Cava was one of the last meter-gauge railways to be built in Spain. The line to San Carles was graded but rails were never laid on it... something which could come handy for freelancing. http://www.docutren.com/HistoriaFerroviaria/Gijon2003/pdf/td7.pdf

Cheers NB

Edited by Nick_Burman
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

the 'Yanqui' hoppers similar to the ones from Westerfield for the YVRR

The similarity is no coincidence, they were built by Pressed Steel Car Co. in Pittsburgh - the same builder as the YVRR cars.

Cheers NB

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...

So back to the subject of layout names.... i've been pondering over this for the last couple of weeks, and i'd almost settled on calling it Sant Carles de la Rapita, with a made up history, etc. But then I thought about plausability of a station being built there with the level of traffic I was proposing, and it made me think that perhaps they would have routed the main line to Valencia  through Sant Carles and along the coast if it was that busy, so wouldn't be a terminus.

So I started looking back up the coast on the Northern side of Barcelona. Both Lloret de Mar and Tossa de Mar (both I have visited) have never had stations, relying on a bus service from Blanes, and Sant Feliu de Guixols had a (proposed?) narrow gauge line from Gerona, but no National network line. So I thought perhaps I could create a made up history of a line deviating just north of Blanes, turning east to serve Lloret, Tossa and then Sant Feliu, with Sant Feliu being the station i'm modelling. However, with the way round my station is facing, this wouldn't make much sense as the fictional line would be coming from the West, and my layout (the way it's supposed to be) has the line entering from the East. Now you could argue that this doesn't really matter as i'm making this up, but I like to get details like the local topography reasonably accurate.

Whilst looking at the area between Tossa de Mar and Sant Feliu, I noticed an area that was just a few villas, named Punta Brava, Good Tip in Catalan, or so Google Translate says. I'm assuming it refers to a point or spit of land extending out into the sea. And it got me thinking, it's generic enough that it could apply to anywhere along the coast, not be a specific town that is well known, and vague enough that I can explain away the scenery and run pretty much any sort of Spanish stock I want.

So with that in mind, I thought i'd mock up a couple of nameboards, one in the early 90s RENFE style, and one in Cercanias style, just to see how it looks.

1040175438_nameboardPuntaBravaCercanias.jpg.c407b21178e6d0ae7039fd6b3bf40156.jpg

2123982994_nameboard4PuntaBrava90s.jpg.88b9184cd1dd855fc2dc4867b9ca8b79.jpg

Would be interested to know what people think. Choosing a layout name isn't easy, but for this layout I want something that is memorable, definitely looks Spanish (yes I know it's Catalan, but most people will think it's just Spanish) and it's fairly easy to pronounce for those non-Spanish/Catalan speakers among us.

Edited by Geep7
  • Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

I have occasionally thought about layout /station names but unlike yourself, have not got round to laying any track so I have still got plenty of time.

Thoughts so far include Teruel Norte and Cullera Sud. Mine will be based on an imaginary line in La Communidad de Valencia. 

I like the signs.

(Edit: My Valencian wife thinks Punta Brava sounds suitably Catalan.)

Edited by ellocoloco
Additional info
  • Like 1

• Geep7 changed the title to PUNTA BRAVA - RENFE HO - Spanish seaside branch terminus
  • 2 months later...

It's been quite a while since my last update. Whilst I have been making some progress with the layout, the past couple of months have seen work and domestic duties take time away from Punta Brava. Recently I have also been helping my father build a small 'n' gauge layout for my nephew to be ready in time for Christmas. It's been a long time since i've modelled in N, and the eyes aren't what they used to be.

The progress I have made has been focusing on completing the backscene and rear retaining wall. Once these are done, I can get back to finishing off the catenary masts. It looks like ballasting of the track will now have to wait until the weather gets a bit warmer, as i'll be doing this outside (glue on the carpet is frowned upon by the domestic authorities).

The backscene is the Peco Photographic series plain sky. Usually I just use lining paper and paint it with a sky blue emulsion, but I wanted to try something different, and thought a photographic backscene might look better. It's been attached using the Deluxe Materials View Glue, which is essentially a wallpaper adhesive, but it dries totally flat leaving no wrinkles. It all looks good, apart from where i've had to remove any excess adhesive, as the print on the backscene paper doesn't appear to be colourfast, and so started to come off when using a damp cloth to wipe up the adhesive. Fortunately, the areas where it has started to come off will be covered with buildings, but something to be aware of for future projects.

For the rear retaining wall and raised roadway / bridges, i've first made the structures out of foamcore board. As i've previously mentioned, initially at the station end, the wall is faced with random stone, these being Will's Crazy Paving sheets, cut down and placed in a slight random order to try and avoid the stones repeating. I think i've done a reasonable job so far.

1702492239_middleboardstationend.jpg.168f3d5a4628359d128b0e9f15985a2c.jpg

The random stone gives way to rendered concrete for the retaining walls, bridges and tunnel entrance, taking inspiration from the line approaching Estacio de Franca in Barcelona.

1653692276_middleboardbridge.jpg.c691c7a18703c8967c136a64ee4b8c69.jpg

In the above photo the furthest track is the main line, and disappears beneath the road. It is imagined that the main line curves away from the front of the layout, whereas in reality it continues under-cover in a straight line to the fiddle yard.

I have some worries about having such a long stretch of track being in a tunnel and not accessible. It will be inevitable that a train will derail where it can't be reached, so I needed to devise a way of accessing the track. I thought about cutting holes in the backscene, but I wanted to retain the strength of the backscene, and also keep the tunnel dark, as this helps with the illusion of the line going elsewhere. So i've come up with the below.

1608219519_Parkboard2.jpg.4e18d5829997ecc4327a09e3c45afeeb.jpg

Whilst ithe photo shows the piece of MDF flipped up, as if it is hinged, it will just be a lift out section.

823723891_Parkboard1.jpg.120164a66a4f2568f90ebe6e6c3cdbb4.jpg

Here it is shown in the closed position, with the retaining wall in place.

The idea for this end of the layout, is for a small park area which starts at the left-hand bridge with a path running across the lift-out section to a road on the right-hand bridge, and then the entrance to a gated and fenced municipal gardens area. Obviously space is tight, so it will just be an impression of the park, but i'm hoping it will look OK. I'm thinking of some kind of monument or statue in the centre of the lift-out section, which will be a nice focal point, and also double up as the handle to lift it out. I'm thinking of something like the below photo I took of the Monumento a los Castellers in Tarragona, but not quite as large.

628749771_tarragonastatue.jpg.9af2427cfe5e53c6b23dccdb3870cee3.jpg

That's all for now folks. The layout's been put away for the Christmas period, so i'll only be able to work on one board at a time at most, or anything that can be done away from the layout, if I get any spare time.

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1