PUNTA BRAVA - RENFE HO - Adventures in Spanish Modelling

Geep7

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, ellocoloco said:

Is the 250 the Roco or Vitrains model?

It's the Roco model. I'm not sure if one is more accurate than the other, but it's a very nice model. Sound fitted as well....

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

December 2022 Update

I think going forward i'm going to try and do a monthly update, unless anything major happens in between.

So I have been focussing on trying to get the small end board of the layout completed at a basic scenic level, before moving onto the next larger board. It's actually amazing how long things take when you only have a couple of hours some evenings to do some modelling.

Initially I wanted to get the main pathway for the park laid and painted, and make a start on the park area.

Update_pic1.jpg.6f19a4345922afff169ceccaf977d624.jpg

Originally I was going to put a single-lane road on this bridge at the end, but i've changed my mind, and have made it into a pedestrian only zone. It will eventually have some abstract sculptures on it. The above picture also shows what I initially started with the park scenery, but more on this later.

Update_pic2_monument.jpg.2d6af8c3f225195a04d7437b89579ee8.jpg

Here is the centrepiece of the park. This uses a Dapol war memorial kit as the basis, with the cross added using plastic section and strip. The memorial actually doubles up as the handle to remove the lift-off section, so is filled with some spare plastic section, and is screwed down to the base.

I was planning on doing an open park to the backscene, but I wasn't convinced the transition to the backscene would look right, so i've added a retaining wall, again taking a bit of inspiration from Tarragona. 

1456007529_Update_pic3_withbackwall.jpg.bbca19c9bf01fa12823cbfc815db67db.jpg

Here it is shown under construction. The wall will continue across the baseboard joint, and have a set of steps coming down to road level. I'm undecided yet whether to have a bridge across the road or not

351000419_Update_pic4_withbackwallsupports.jpg.f61dc551bf778c68462557e6927feb90.jpg

Here is a further photo showing more progress on the wall. After showing the first photo of the wall to my father, he suggested that there should be a couple of extra supports for the wall, so here I have added those. I have since painted the wall in Vallejo Stone Grey, which actually looks more like the concrete colour of the path's, so i'll look to weather it down a bit.

Going back to the bridge, and where the front two tracks disappear offscene, it is supposed that they continue off to the docks. I was thinking of a way to disguise the edge of the backscene under the bridge, and thought, why not the end of an industrial building.

Update_pic5_building.jpg.7eadf1c9752f2fd323e75c30f50a5f10.jpg           Update_pic6_building.jpg.c87a77cfa1d214f80bc4e9b4e782160c.jpg

So here it is. It's my customary artist board, clad in 20 thou plastic sheet and sprayed matt white. The window was bashed from some spare window parts I had from my old US layout, and made to fit the window aperture I cut (it would have been better had I made the window first, and then cut the hole for it to fit!). The surround is evergreen plastic strip. The door is just a piece of 20 thou plastic, painted blue. It's waiting for a door handle to be fitted. The window has since been glazed and some window blinds added.

Update_pic7_bridge.jpg.7f49221ce95586bc147abdc94840fbd1.jpg

And here is a view of the end bridge. I've now completed the cladding on the bridge supports, again just artist's mount board clad in 20 thou plastic sheet. Incidentally, the bridge sides, parapets, supports and the retaining walls are all painted with Polly Scale Concrete and the pathways with Polly Scale Aged Concrete. Sadly both of these are now discontinued and are no longer available. Being on my last bottles of each of these, this might be the last layout I use these colours on, depending on if I run out or not. Vallejo's Stone Grey seems to be a good substitute for the aged concrete, but i've not yet found one for the normal concrete colour yet. I may have to experiment and mixed my own colour yet.

So that is all for this update. I am continuing to work on the park area, and hope to show some progress in the new year, but the festive period may just slow down progress even more than usual.

• Like 8

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hola a todos desde Punta Brava / Hello everyone from Punta Brava

Things have been progressing slowly with the layout, plus I had a bit of a minor set-back which has proved frustrating.

Firstly, on a positive note, i've got the bridge / retaining wall section fixed to the baseboard and given the open areas a covering of flock. Any gaps under the bridge supports and retaining wall have been filled with sculptamold.

20230125_171925.jpg.f52e4537b15b4382318c37622f15035e.jpg

Unfortunately, while gluing the bridge down, I got some PVA on the backscene, and have had to add a new layer of backscene paper. This hasn't quite gone to plan, as you can see just by the building, and behind the fencing on the retaining wall. The bit by the building can probably be disguised with some clever pipework, etc. crossing the tracks, but the bit behind the fencing might be a bit more difficult to hide. I might have to paint some clouds, or buy some more backscene sheets (i've run out), as i'm not too keen on having anything 2D on the backscene.

20230125_171953.jpg.4a5efb1ded3ef48f4385c77ef8b5f35f.jpg

I will say, this will probably be the first and last time I use a printed photo backscene. Previously, I have used lining paper painted a suitable shade using emulsion paints, and this method makes it easier to repair any damage that might occur.

20230125_171830.jpg.e5930ce2dc33a595b4f064e5e427cec0.jpg

I've started blending in the retaining wall into the surrounding area. Having learnt from my previous mistake, the clingfilm is there to protect the backscene. I have used sculptamold for the landforms here, and also in the flower beds of the memorial. It's very lightweight and easy to use, but very messy, and sometimes doesn't go exactly where you want it to go (like onto the brick section of the retaining wall), but once it's dry, I can clean up any area's it wasn't meant to go on. Something I should have done while adding the sculptamold here, is add a few bits of small stones, to look like some of the stone base showing through the grassed areas. I recently found some Woodland Scenics Talus in my scenics box, so I will come back to this, and dig out some areas to add some.

Next we move on to some new arrivals:

20230125_171359.jpg.81ea59b12095927e56a42bee9c7e7a46.jpg

20230125_171712.jpg.6ab89933072ee60746de8644705468a5.jpg

These 2 are courtesy of my wonderful wife for my birthday. They both came via that well known internet auction site, and are both essentially brand new condition. As you can see, the 269 hasn't even been fitted with it's handrails or wing-mirrors. One modification I am going to do to both models is to remove the sub-sector logos either end, as they were added in the early 2000's.

I also received this pair of coaches from my lovely parents.

20230125_172127.jpg.83225bf0b036d9810a8da99d6ad463ac.jpg

They are basically similar to the old Tri-ang CKD (Completely Knocked Down) range. So they are mostly completely decorated, and just need putting together, and transfers added. These will join another of the "Costa" coaches to form a 3 coach rake which can go behind some of the older locomotives, like the little steam engine, the 308 and the 319, forming a heritage train.

Going forward, i'm hoping to move on to the next board and make some progress with that, as well as complete this end board.

• Like 10

Despite your set back everything looks to be progressing well.

I look forward to hearing how you get on removing the sector branding, especially from the 250. I plan on renumbering a couple of my locos and I'm happy to learn from your experience...😉

With a bit of luck the 596s will be available soon. I have moved recently and am currently clearing and then flooring the attic space. I am hoping to have some Transporte Combinado freights running soon! Well, maybe next year.

Edited by ellocoloco
Spelling
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, ellocoloco said:

I look forward to hearing how you get on removing the sector branding, especially from the 250. I plan on renumbering a couple of my locos and I'm happy to learn from your experience...😉

I have some decal removing solution from my American modelling days. It smells of lemon, and seemed to work well on American stock. Either that, or it'll have to be the IPA on a cotton bud or cocktail stick....

I'll report back and let you know.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I reckon you've probably got one of these already or one on order. If not, they are cracking wee models and I would thoroughly recommend one. I think this could be an expensive year for me with the 309 on the horizon!

P4170023(2).JPG.b9e79d92824734e9ba8cd3fac4ae5757.JPG 

Edited by ellocoloco
grammer
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, ellocoloco said:

I reckon you've probably got one of these already or one on order. If not, they are cracking wee models and I would thoroughly recommend one. I think this could be an expensive year for me with the 309 on the horizon!

P4170023(2).JPG.b9e79d92824734e9ba8cd3fac4ae5757.JPG 

I wasn't going to get one as I think it's a bit out of my time period, but they are tempting. I think I've mentioned before that I've got a Mil Reyes 269 on pre-order which may arrive at some point this year. A 309 is also very tempting, especially in the Red and Grey.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

So it's been a while since I last updated this thread, and there isn't much progress to report. Whilst i'm still really interested in modelling Spanish railways, my interest in the layout has waned slightly, mostly due to not having anywhere to erect the full layout. I've also been progressing my much smaller (just over half the length of Punta Brava) British outline OO layout.

It's got me thinking that maybe I should try and build a much shorter Spanish layout, using the building's etc. that i've already built, so I have somewhere to run my Spanish stock, and put the full length Punta Brava on the back burner. The only issue I have is that I want to at least run 3-car 440 units, and as each coach is 12"/330mm in length, I need to have a 3ft fiddle yard as a minimum. I think I need to get creative with a track plan if that's the case.

On the rolling stock front, also some mixed emotions, which doesn't help with the mojo. On a positive note, I received an email from Hornby, letting me know that my Mil Reyes 269 pre-order will be due soon. But, i'm just hoping that it doesn't get sent Royal Mail, as i've just had an Ibertren UT600 / Class 438 that I purchased from eBay as a fairly decent price, go missing on route to me at one of the major Royal Mail sorting centres. Fortunately i've got a full refund, so i'm not out of pocket, but as Ibertren are no longer making models, it's a shame to miss out on this. This, along with a massive delivery delay for some laser cut wood for my British layout, saps the enthusiasm slightly, maybe trying to design a smaller Spanish layout will help.

Edited by Geep7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Sorry to hear that the 438 went MIA. I'm sure the 269 will cheer you up when it arrives.

I've finished clearing my attic space and hopefully by the end of the year should have transferred all my models from my mum's garage to here. Then I can start construction. I really should start thinking of  a track plan!

In the meantime, I have blown a chunk of the budget on one of the Al-Andalus sets. I know they are of questionable accuracy but do look lovely.

P6110059 (3).JPG

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

It's been a little while since I've done an update on Punta Brava.

After my last update, I did some thinking, took the layout out of the cupboard it's stored in, and taken a look, and basically decided that I will continue with it. So hopefully will have some updates this autumn.

I've also had a new arrival which has given a boost to the enthusiasm. The latest 269 by Hornby in Mil Reyes (Thousand Lines). I've fitted it with a 21-pin Dapol Imperium 1, which has given full control of all the lights. The only issue is that the decoder socket it located in the underside of the circuit board, and to fit the chip, I found I had to release the 2 plugs for the cab/front lights, and then unscrew the circuit board. Not a great design decision in my opinion. However, there are no issues with the decoration, but perhaps the blue could have been a little bit darker? Some weathering should sorts that out though....

20230901_213505.jpg.f7a1eb9680ef49ed3ca66e96bd583254.jpg

This now brings my stable of Class 269's up to 5. At the moment, between having the layout erected, they are reside in a display case, but, given the rest of my loco collection, perhaps it might be nice to have a small diorama module/layout depicting a Spanish locomotive depot to display them on.

Hopefully some further updates to come as we head into Autumn and towards the winter.....

• Like 7

Loco looks lovely, but a little early for my (yet to be started) layout. I chunk of Electrotren must have arrived recently. My Tramesa container flats are being posted out. Happy days!

Edited by ellocoloco
so it made sense!
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

3 reasons for getting a 269 in Mil Reyes.

spacer.png spacer.png spacer.png

All taken by my father on our first trip to Barcelona way back in about 1987. For those that don't recognise it, this is what is now known as Barcelona Estacio de Franca, previously, as per the sign in the last photo, just purely Barcelona Termino. Little did I know at the time, but when we travelled to Barcelona from Blanes, it wouldn't be long before the line through Poble Nou would be closed to turn it into the Olympic Village. The next time I went to Spain, travelling to Barcelona from Blanes, I would be arriving at Estacio Sants.

It's surprising to know that the Mil Reyes colour scheme, along with the Estrella scheme and the original green, actually lasted until the mid-90's, so you could see 269's in these and the Taxi livery, all at the same time.

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

Just back from Spain and some 'old' new stock has fallen into my possession! The last model show I was at in the UK I did actually buy a couple of points so layout construction is slightly closer!!! The TRD is a lovely model but as we both know, it needs some work. I have ordered replacement gears before it's have even had a chance to split. The G1700 is a little out of area for me but you can never have enough industrial locos!

This had turned out to be an expensive year - I'm almost hoping there is nothing of interest to me in January.

2ndtrd.JPG.692f34219ceeca3a529dc447b772c3e4.JPG

F6RHS.JPG.5e78e8602fff49edb933a116900fcaa4.JPG

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, ellocoloco said:

Just back from Spain and some 'old' new stock has fallen into my possession! The last model show I was at in the UK I did actually buy a couple of points so layout construction is slightly closer!!! The TRD is a lovely model but as we both know, it needs some work. I have ordered replacement gears before it's have even had a chance to split. The G1700 is a little out of area for me but you can never have enough industrial locos!

This had turned out to be an expensive year - I'm almost hoping there is nothing of interest to me in January.

Good job on picking up the TRD. I think they are rarer than hen's teeth, and i'd very much doubt if Electrotren/Hornby would want to re-issue them.

Yes, unfortunately the model does suffer from one rather major achilles heel. I can't recall if I've mentioned that i'd had managed to re-gear the motor coach with some brass gears. However, something kept nagging at me. Whilst the fix worked rather well, it did cause a bit more noise than I wanted, due to mine being DCC sound fitted. So I recently bought some nylon RC gears from that well known internet emporium, plus a gear puller. A 10 minute job, and I had it running again, and running a lot smoother than before, and quieter.

Also, very recently, I managed to grab a decent buy off of the 'bay.

20231024_090305.jpg.54f72ad139f2a1d64ce318881b87cd3d.jpg

This is not an Electrotren 252, but the earlier Lima issue of the model. As such, it is not DCC fitted, ready, or anything like that, so will take a bit of time to get it chipped. However, i'm rather impressed with the detail of the model, and the chassis as well. Compared with the UK outline Lima models of a similar vintage, it's lightyears ahead.

It'll be interesting to see what Hornby/Electrotren announce in January. From a personal point of view, i'd love a rerun of the 311 in the red/grey livery and the 321 in green. And I would love it if they did a model of the Class 446/447 EMU's.

• Like 1

Definitely would like a rerun of the 311. Looking at what Hornby are doing with OO models, there should be no excuse for non functioning lower lights this time.

I have again gone for the brass gears I used last time for the TRD. I didn't think they were much louder that previous but as mentioned I've still no layout so mine don't get run that much. That might change when I get some track down!

The shop I was in had some s/h including the Taxi 252 for I think €90 boxed and looking fairly immaculate. I have one of the Mehano ones in ARCO blue and white. Are you aware of the issue with the length of the Lima/Electrotren 252?

On to 2024 and if they did the 446/7 to the Hobby standard of the recent 596/S-114 I would be quite happy. But then I have tried to avoid electric trains, apart from a 470 Smurf and the 252 mentioned, but still, most modellers ignore the overhead like they avoid signals!  I am still hoping for a 310 and if they do the TMD pair in Taxi then all my wishes will have come true...............fingers crossed.

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, ellocoloco said:

I have one of the Mehano ones in ARCO blue and white. Are you aware of the issue with the length of the Lima/Electrotren 252?

I also have a Mehano 252 in the blue and white, but with Altaria markings. I knew that the Lima/Electrotren 252 was shorter, and in actual fact, is a model of the Eurosprinter, rather than a true 252, but I didn't realise quite how much shorter until I compared them next to each other this morning. Usually this would bother me, especially with British Outline, but the likelihood of a Mehano Taxi 252 turning up is very low. I think in normal operation, looking side on, it won't be as noticeable. It's just a shame that the Mehano 252 is no longer in production.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I must admit, collecting all these electric trains does mean I am having to tackle the dreaded knitting. As i've described a couple of pages back, on Punta Brava, I had been sort of cheating, and making the support spans and hangers, but leaving the actual wires out.

Speaking of the layout itself things have still stalled. As i've mentioned a few times before, I have no space to put the entire layout up without disrupting the whole family, and it would be rather selfish of me to put it up for a whole weekend just to play trains, or do some scenery work. Also, whilst i'm reasonably happy with the actual track plan, and overall look of the layout, i'm not very happy with the baseboards. They are all of different sizes, having been made from board from a previous layout, and augmented. This means the boards aren't particular light either, which makes moving them around and storing the layout a pain. This has meant i've become a bit dissatisfied with the current layout. It's a difficult decision to make, but sometimes, rather than plodding on with something you aren't 100% happy with, it's better to take a step back, and decide that a complete new start is better. Fortunately, i've not got too far on the scenery side, and only ballasted a short length of track and 1 point, so there won't be much waste if I scrap the layout.

All of this thinking had kind of sapped my enthusiasm for my Spanish modelling, so I had a chat with my wife, and basically she's agreed that building a smaller, simpler Spanish layout, in the same footprint as my current small British Outline layout would be a good idea. So this means a maximum length of about 9ft and a maximum width of 13 inches.

The current thought is a simple single platform station, with run-round loop, and a couple of sidings for freight. I intend to use the station building i've already built, along with the church. However, I keep thinking, with all these loco's I have, whether I should build a depot layout. I'll be interested to know your thoughts....

I'll will continue with this new layout in this thread, as I intend to keep the same name, and it seems like a good idea to keep all my Spanish modelling in one thread.

• Like 4

• Geep7 changed the title to PUNTA BRAVA - RENFE HO - Adventures in Spanish Modelling

Enjoy reading this thread, re your new potential layout does the 9 foot length include include a fiddle yard?

If it does I’d possibly go for a depot layout as they can be good fun. (I might be a bit bias as I do own a depot layout).

My other layout has a scenic length of 9 foot with a 5 foot fiddle yard on the end. This allows a loco + 3 scale length coaches to run.

Looking forward to developments.

Thanks,

Neil 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The original Punta Brava in full form was 16ft8ins, including a 5ft fiddle yard. This allowed for a 333, plus a full 7 car Talgo Pendular set, or 7 car Talgo 3 set with generator car. Sadly, the 9 foot length I now have available includes the fiddle yard. I could probably push this to about 9ft 6 at a pinch, which would be useful as a measure of my 3-car 440 EMU works out at 37" long. I know I could run my EMU's 2-car units, the 440, 470 and 432 all did so towards the end of their careers, but my 592 3-car DMU has the motor coach unhelpfully in the centre coach, although fortunately,is slightly shorter than the EMU's.

I'll have a think about the depot idea, but i'll be limited to about 13in width (a lack shelf plus 2 pieces of 34mm timber either side), which will seriously limited the number of tracks I can have. Although, maybe a small 3 road shed, and a few outdoor stabling sidings might work. I'll have a play around in Anyrail. The only other doubt I have, is that i'll have to provide a fair amount to be electrified, as my electric stock outnumbers the diesels. It would be nice to have somewhere for some freight stock to appear too. But it'll have to all be about compromise. I might even try a curved layout to see if I can squeeze anything more in.