Bogie Identification

I have these two identical Graham Farish N gauge coaches (same number) but they have very different bogies attached.

Does anyone know which is the original (hoping the one on the left) what the correct classification is and where they can be easily obtained?

Many thanks.IMG_20200828_100708272.jpg.28e321b3a01e3e43b5fba8bf2c7f024a.jpg

IMG_20200828_100610623.jpg

IMG_20200828_100651844.jpg

Edited by Ray Von

• RMweb Premium

I have just checked through the "British Railways MK 1 Coaches book" by KeithParkin MA, and the bogie on the left is a "Commonwealth design" and the one on the right is "BR 1 basic double bolster bogie. 

I hope that is of help to you.

Terry. 

• Like 1

I was beaten to it. The coaches were originally fitted the right hand type but when riding problems showed up other types were used. For vehicles in the blue/grey livery either is possible.

For spares first try eBay.

• Like 1

Hi,

I don't know what happened to my original post, I'll try again!  :)

E3457 is a fictitious number, in-between 1975 built Mk2F First Open (FO) M3439 and 1953 built boat train Mk1 Second Open (SO) S3500.

The model looks to be a Tourist Second Open (TSO) and if the number doesn't bother you, either bogie is correct.  As @Trainshed Terry says, the bogie on the left is a Commonwealth and the other a BR1 (or BR standard).  It's a complicated business, but Mk1 TSOs were built with both, Commonwealths from the late 1950s.

Mk1 coaches were built or retro-fitted with BR1 (single and double bolster), BR2, Commonwealth, B4, B5, Gresley and several experimental types.  Double bolster BR1, Commonwealth and later the B4/B5 were by far the most common on passenger rated stock.

If you want to give your 2mm scale passengers a smoother ride, the Commonwealth bogies are best.  Many are still fitted to Mk1 coaches on the national network.

Alun

• Informative/Useful 1