Looking through some old pics in the Squirrel Archives and came across my 59 build. It was a mix of Hornby 59 and Bachmann 66 creating a frankenstein 59. Overall it was as accurate as I could get it without creating a project that would never finish and thought it may be worth a share!  Last I knew it was residing with #RS4  - is it still going?

First up here was the franken 59 with new exhaust bogies and chassis additionsIMG_5687.JPG.9b59170ed7b64e41fd0d1714a266036f.JPG

A coat of primer brought everything together ready for EWS red and goldIMG_5689.JPG.e3bf4135a7e0670f7605b2977c58caa8.JPG

and finally a shot of each side painted and weathered.

IMG_5774.JPG.51b368aa1c55c4348f1eb4a6270311f4.JPG

IMG_5773.JPG.55584d0cb73bddf5f75a65ad39213e4c.JPG

If I find any more pics of the build I will ad them to the thread, Cheers Jerry

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

Found a couple more pics but wish I could find the work on the bogies and the chassis. From memory I made a replacement grill for the body side - excuse the bad pic and the second one shows this in the primerIMG_5686.JPG.bf051d452e16f4243667d9669545d40d.JPGIMG_5688.JPG.506e401c562471d99a3e2cf376dc351b.JPG

The major inaccuracy on the model was where the panels join on the bodyside which with the corrugations was a job too far for a cut and shut job. The other two pics I found have it half way being painted:

IMG_5713.JPG.d93b66e92f93155caa0f5865c17d0930.JPG

and painted but not weathered!

IMG_5772.JPG.1ac89fe5191521f0ac7a7942374d94a2.JPG

• Like 8

Hi Jerry, your Class 59 looks very nice in the old EWS maroon colours and is fairly accurate too, but it's an actual b***er having to accept comprimises you can't live with. So, here's an article where a Hornby body was used in conjuction with a Bachmann chassis.

http://s374444733.websitehome.co.uk/class-59/index.htm

I hope you can find some use from it

Jules

• Informative/Useful 1

37 minutes ago, Departmental203 said:

Hi Jerry, your Class 59 looks very nice in the old EWS maroon colours and is fairly accurate too, but it's an actual b***er having to accept comprimises you can't live with. So, here's an article where a Hornby body was used in conjuction with a Bachmann chassis.

http://s374444733.websitehome.co.uk/class-59/index.htm

I hope you can find some use from it

Jules

Hi Jules, I Did it a few years ago as a bit of an experiment- I can’t remember why I didn’t use a Hornby/Lima body - think it was I had a surplus 66 to play with so with and it was easier to get the lights right on that. Perhaps one day we will see one in RTR form! Cheers Jerry

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Squirrel Rail said:

Hi Jules, I Did it a few years ago as a bit of an experiment- I can’t remember why I didn’t use a Hornby/Lima body - think it was I had a surplus 66 to play with so with and it was easier to get the lights right on that. Perhaps one day we will see one in RTR form! Cheers Jerry

Jerry, Dapol have been working on a Class 59 for ages and they're getting there (slowly!!) I've put in a link for the latest update from Hattons regarding the Class 59. Swear these are the exact same livery samples I saw in a Rail Express from 2018!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:swoon:

https://www.hattons.co.uk/newsdetail.aspx?id=308

Jules

Hi Jules, My remark will we ever see one was a bit tongue in cheek as I can’t remember how many years ago I did that 59 but not long after the Dapol one ( and was there a DJ one too?) was announced. I seem to recall the same livery samples and again that must be 2 years old so from announcement to now it’s got to be at least 5 years! Makes you wonder if Hattons should have done the 59! Cheers Jerry

• Funny 1

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, D6775 said:

Now this gives me an idea, may have to do some research for when the Dapol O gauge 66 eventually rocks up.........

I think it would be easier in O gauge due to the size but you wouldn't be able to rob a donor like I did for the bogie frames ( forgive me if there is a 59 kit!). Certainly would look stunning!

7 minutes ago, Squirrel Rail said:

I think it would be easier in O gauge due to the size but you wouldn't be able to rob a donor like I did for the bogie frames ( forgive me if there is a 59 kit!). Certainly would look stunning!

I'm pretty sure there is a kit, someone brought a NP one to Telford show last year. Will see what I can find when Dapols Donor breaks cover, see what I can acquire. There may be something from an American outline model that may be suitable. Certainly something to consider.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, D6775 said:

I'm pretty sure there is a kit, someone brought a NP one to Telford show last year. Will see what I can find when Dapols Donor breaks cover, see what I can acquire. There may be something from an American outline model that may be suitable. Certainly something to consider.

I’m not really up to speed on O gauge but would the old Bachmann 66 be a suitable donor? As you say there’s definitely American stuff out there. You’ll probably just get it done when they announce a rtr version - that’s what happened with mine...even though we’ve yet to see it!!

1 minute ago, Squirrel Rail said:

I’m not really up to speed on O gauge but would the old Bachmann 66 be a suitable donor? As you say there’s definitely American stuff out there. You’ll probably just get it done when they announce a rtr version - that’s what happened with mine...even though we’ve yet to see it!!

There was a Accucraft (?) 66 from Bachman but that was Gauge 1 I think, Dapol announced an O gauge one last year that may or may not appear next year!!

• Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...

Here is my Lima ARC 59 which has been motored and fitted with the new Legomanbiffo V5 sound chip. I'm waiting on an EM2 speaker to beef up the sound a bit. Note I have not added any detail or modified the Lima model in any way, other than fitting two Hornby self contained motor bogies.

Edited by Wolf27
spelling
  • Like 2